Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2017, 05:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
GPS tracks and pictures.

Not sure if this the right place for this, put it's pretty close at any route.

So, I use a GPS tracking device to produce a gpx and kHz file.
I also have a K3ii that I use to geotag my pictures. (not sure why I don't track with the camera also, but whatever)

I am looking for a way to combine the pictures and track into a single file for use in google earth or something similar.
I can get them imbedded into a kmz file, and it' seems to work OK in google earth, but only the download version. not the web version.

anyone have any idea's?

here's a link for what I made, if anyone wants to take a look.

Metowee.kmz - Google Drive

05-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool! You've been playing in the mud I see. That file works fine with Google Earth, except that photos seem to compress square.
05-09-2017, 05:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah:-)
the off road club i'm part of does alot of scouting of new terrain and trail cutting, i really want a way to trace out the trail, then be able to take pictures at obstacles so other people can kind of "virtually" see what the trail is like.

are you using google earth in the web browser? or the download version?
05-09-2017, 05:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I tried to do that for years for use with a canoe routes and campsites. I never found a solution that didn't involve a lot of html coding.

Let me know if you find something.

My webpages for those days have all been taken down, when Apple killed iDisk, and none of the software I used works on a modern operating system. ANd it took so much time to get something functional, I'm not really interested in ever doing it again.

Last edited by normhead; 05-09-2017 at 06:22 AM.
05-09-2017, 06:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
HTML coding is definitely not something i want to get into.

google earth works "ok" but not great. i'll definitely update if i find a good way to do it.
05-09-2017, 07:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
HTML coding is definitely not something i want to get into.
Good decision, as I recall one map with 7 or 8 links took me days to get working the way I wanted it too. I did it twice once to do it, and again because I thought if I just kept doing it, I'd get better at it. That was enough to convince me the guys who wrote html code didn't envisage this application. It was aggravating it was so tedious.
05-09-2017, 07:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i'm actually looking at a slightly different tack right now,

I'm going to try and embed all the photos into an interactive map ala flickr maps, them embed that into a web page,
then separately create a track based map with different backgrounds. elevation, satellite topo ect. Then see if i can add an "interest point" or something similar to the track that i can correlate to the photos.

05-09-2017, 09:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I was under the impression it was relatively easy to make a custom google map with your own points, etc., though I haven't really looked into it.
05-09-2017, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #9
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use an Adroid application called Ultra GPS Logger on my phone when I'm walking about taking photos. It will create NMEA, KML, GPX, and CSV files of my tracks; I create only the last three formats. I can import my GPX files into Lightroom to link to my photos and provide their locations, and I can click on the KML files to open my desktop version of Google Earth and display the tracks there (and save them as map images if I want to). I can also sign onto my Google account and open the web version of Google Earth and import my KML files into the web application (I just tried it). I'm not sure if this is what you want, but I hope it helps.
05-09-2017, 10:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The issue isn't with creating a track, or with geo-tagging the pictures.

The issue i'm running is a way to combine the two.
The file i linked to above, does just that, (the track and images are embedded into the same kml file) but as you can tell from using it, it is far from clean or user friendly.
05-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #11
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Understood. Clicking on your file above earlier didn't work. I had to download it; and having now done that, I can understand your problem.
05-09-2017, 02:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Years ago I used an application called JetPhoto Studio. One of its features was to be able to export a gallery of geotagged photos as an HTML map that you could upload to a webserver (using the google maps API) for viewing images and their locations. Its been long enough that I don't remember much about how well it works, but it is still available:

JetPhoto software - organizing and geotagging photos, creating flash galleries, publishing web albums

If you don't have a webserver, you could probably still zip up the bundle of files to distribute, and tell people to unzip and double click the index.html.
05-09-2017, 03:09 PM   #13

Geo tagging/mapping

The benefit of using the built-in GPS of your K-3ii is that the Lat/Long and elevation and even the direction info are incorporated into the metadata of each picture file. Lightroom, since at least version 5, has a Map module that will automagically (tm) place this information into Google maps.
05-09-2017, 03:12 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
Yeah:-)
the off road club i'm part of does alot of scouting of new terrain and trail cutting, i really want a way to trace out the trail, then be able to take pictures at obstacles so other people can kind of "virtually" see what the trail is like.

are you using google earth in the web browser? or the download version?
I was using the download version.
05-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, the issue is you wanna create a route with pictures on Google maps, not just Google Earth.

I use an application on Mac called Houdah Geo. After geocoding photos, you can export a KML (note, not KMZ) to Dropbox along with the images in one folder. Kinda like what's IN a KMZ. Or to a web server. Then you make a new map in Google, and just drop in the KML. Google loads that, finds and loads the pictures stored with it, and then you've got it in your maps on google. Maybe it's just that it's gotta upload the images from a source already online or something, but that may give you a clue as to how to proceed.