Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2017, 11:31 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Double Lens Adapter Question (Canon to Pentax)

Hello all,

I am trying to find a way to use my Rokinon 8mm Canon Fisheye lense with my Pentax K5 (I switched from Canon to Pentax some years back). I have learned that there are no adapters for Canon lenses that would make them compatible with my K5. However, a friend mentioned using a Nikon adapter and then using a Canon adapter on top of that in order to make it compatible. Has anyone seen this work? Any drawbacks?

Happy shooting,

05-14-2017, 11:48 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wouldn't it be easier to sell the Canon lens and purchase a Pentax-mount lens?
05-14-2017, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just buy it in K-mount...We're not talking about an exotic lens...
05-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

To answer your question...it will not work for the same reason why a Canon-to-K adapter will not work.*

Steve

* Yes, they do exist, but Canon has a short registration distance meaning that an auxiliary glass element is required to attain infinity focus on cameras having a longer registration. This is true for both Pentax (M42 and K) as well as Nikon F.

05-14-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
Forum Member

Adapters can be had for Canon mounts that pre-date the EOS line. I have an adapter that will let me use lenses designed for the Canon Pellix and AE-1 lines.
I used to know why the EOS lenses couldn't be adapted.. but can't remember right now. The information is out there on the 'net somewhere.
05-14-2017, 03:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's not just the registration distance. Canon bayonets are wider than the others - the camera has a bigger "throat". Thats why other mounts (PK, CY, Nik F, OM) easily adapt to canon. The canon reg distance in shorter, and the other bayonets fit "inside" the canon bayonet. Just doesn't work the other way round.
The only way to go in these cases (other than getting a PK mount example of the lens, as already recommended, is a mount swap.
05-14-2017, 03:34 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heebie Quote
Adapters can be had for Canon mounts that pre-date the EOS line. I have an adapter that will let me use lenses designed for the Canon Pellix and AE-1 lines.
I used to know why the EOS lenses couldn't be adapted.. but can't remember right now. The information is out there on the 'net somewhere.
EOS has a wider mouth, shorter registration distance, and electromagnetic aperture. A corrected adapter would be pointless on an UWA or Fisheye because it is a short TC...

07-19-2017, 03:30 AM   #8

Tell me more pls as I have some bunch of Canon FD lenses. Were you successful to mount FD glass on Pentax body?

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by Heebie Quote
07-19-2017, 06:23 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
Tell me more pls as I have some bunch of Canon FD lenses. Were you successful to mount FD glass on Pentax body?

-----
They still require a glass element, and that leads to quite a cut in image quality. ( I have an FD to PK adapter, and a Canon 50/1.8)

So, not really worth it.
07-19-2017, 07:47 AM   #10

Some possible options:

Replace the mount on the lens:
Leica & Pentax & Nikon | Leitax

Replace the mount on the camera:
Pentax K+ Multi Mount - Adaptist
07-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

-----
The FD to K adapter is a short teleconverter (1.43x). It has a single corrective element and is just about useless wide open...If you take the corrective element out it becomes a short extension tube.

adapters for non-K-mount lenses to Pentax K-mount DSLRs: new dimensions for LBA - PentaxForums.com
07-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #12

THX, might be worth giving a FD 300mm/4.0L + K-3 a try, at least for fun

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The FD to K adapter is a short teleconverter (1.43x). It has a single corrective element and is just about useless wide open...If you take the corrective element out it becomes a short extension tube.
07-19-2017, 02:41 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by altis Quote
Replace the mount on the lens:
Leica & Pentax & Nikon | Leitax

Replace the mount on the camera:
Pentax K+ Multi Mount - Adaptist
Neither will work with Canon FD or EF (the mounts under discussion on this thread).

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-19-2017 at 04:50 PM.
07-19-2017, 05:55 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
They still require a glass element, and that leads to quite a cut in image quality. ( I have an FD to PK adapter, and a Canon 50/1.8)

So, not really worth it.
I have tried optically corrected canon FD to PK and Nikon AI to PK , depending on the optics quality they have quite a lot of color blooming at wide apertures, and are essentially teleconverters, the Nikon has a 1.25 X magnification ratio the canon about 1.45x from memory.

If you want soft blurry low contrast portrait lens it does the job but not much else
07-19-2017, 07:14 PM   #15
Forum Member

-----
I've not had any issues with them. I'm sure there's degradation, as it's a relatively inexpensive adapter, but it's still reasonable. I did recently get "native" Pentax glass to replace the Canon lenses I was using. I could try shooting a few examples of K vs. FD adapted to K if I have the time and anyone would be interested.