Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Again, not true. See the APUG discussion linked above.
I stand corrected.

05-30-2017, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I don't remember when it "clicked" for me.
It "clicked" for me when I realized that one places exposure whether one realizes it or not. The meter reads Zone V, like it or not, and if you are happy with that placement all is good. If not, the Zone System and related approaches provide a framework to produce the result you intended. The second key concept that helped it gel was that Zone I is the darkest value within which detail is captured.* Modern matrix metering (aka evaluative, multi-zone, multi-segment, etc.) does a good job of emulating intelligent placement, but still has its limits in that the camera does not know the photographer's intent.

FWIW, I generally place exposure on the shadows and use compensating development to handle the highlights. An exception is when shooting color where I use a simple gray card or incident reading. Likewise, I may place exposure for highlights when shooting snow or sand. Again, compensating development helps even with Zone IX placement.

Steve

* Zone II for usable detail. The difference is apparent when evaluating the negative with a loupe and useful when testing films to determine appropriate EI (exposure index rather than film speed) to use with a particular developer.

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-30-2017 at 09:34 AM.
05-30-2017, 08:14 AM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I stand corrected.
I had to make the same retraction.

Steve