Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2017, 04:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
my most used tool in the field

is a good binocular

I've never been fond of pentax glass...the problem turned out to be my eyes not their glass

I went to pick up a new card reader and this was being closed out....https://www.amazon.com/Pentax-SP-20x60-WP-Binoculars/dp/B00SKO4N2E?tag=pentaxforums-20&
it was the last one and it was sitting right at 100usd

I've used it several hours a day for a week now and it has been a real pleasure
I can hand hold it and get a reasonably steady view at distance
under thirty yards or maintaining a constant observation this...amazon.com: Vortex Optics Binocular Tripod Adapter VT-400: Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&...has been a great addition

this binocular will never replace my spotter but it is turning out be more convenient for spontaneous viewing

05-27-2017, 05:08 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
is a good binocular

I've never been fond of pentax glass...the problem turned out to be my eyes not their glass

I went to pick up a new card reader and this was being closed out....https://www.amazon.com/Pentax-SP-20x60-WP-Binoculars/dp/B00SKO4N2E?tag=pentaxforums-20&

under thirty yards or maintaining a constant observation this...amazon.com: Vortex Optics Binocular Tripod Adapter VT-400: Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&...has been a great addition

this binocular will never replace my spotter but it is turning out be more convenient for spontaneous viewing
how do you hand hold 20 x binoculars and get a reasonably steady view at distance

I have a hard time holding 10 x

please pass on your technique as I am going to be at Yellowstone NP June 1

thanks
05-27-2017, 09:22 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

I think a good set of binoculars is something that pays dividends for years. That's why I gave my daughter a set for Christmas last year.
05-27-2017, 09:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
how do you hand hold 20 x binoculars and get a reasonably steady view at distance

I have a hard time holding 10 x

please pass on your technique as I am going to be at Yellowstone NP June 1

thanks
without sounding too glib...I just do

mostly what I find is that if I try to control the shakes they just get worse
so I allow whatever movement to just happen and direct it into a predictable pattern

at a distance the movement is gentle not jerky
at close range the jerkiness is amplified because the area being viewed is smaller

you've hunted...when shooting a high powered scope without mechanical assistance you cannot keep your crosshairs exactly on target
so you either shake and hope or develop a pattern (I use an oval/circle) and coordinate the coincidence of target, crosshairs and trigger pull

same as using a long, heavy lens

05-27-2017, 09:56 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

without sounding too glib...I just do

mostly what I find is that if I try to control the shakes they just get worse
so I allow whatever movement to just happen and direct it into a predictable pattern

at a distance the movement is gentle not jerky
at close range the jerkiness is amplified because the area being viewed is smaller

you've hunted...when shooting a high powered scope without mechanical assistance you cannot keep your crosshairs exactly on target
so you either shake and hope or develop a pattern (I use an oval/circle) and coordinate the coincidence of target, crosshairs and trigger pull

same as using a long, heavy lens

I'll give it a try

As far as hunting - white tail deer, shot gun with iron sights no scope
05-27-2017, 10:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I'll give it a try

As far as hunting - white tail deer, shot gun with iron sights no scope
ahhh...I see

too much civilization then

this was talked about earlier

tuck your elbow(s) into your chest/belly and create a triangle much like a target shooter does
with binoculars you get two triangles, a camera one
much more stable

good luck and have a nice trip
05-27-2017, 10:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

is a good binocular

Were your previous pairs of Pentaxes roof-prism design (straight barrel)? Your new 20x60 is a porro-prism design, which has greater depth of field that the roof-prism. When I bought my first roof-prism binocular I couldn't figure out why I was having difficulty getting both eyes in focus despite correcting for the difference between eyes with the diopter adjustment. Between me and my optometrist I finally realized that the focal difference between my eyes varied each time I brought the binoculars to my eyes. The greater depth of field in the porro-prism binoculars encompassed that variation so I never noticed, but the roof-prism binoculars' shallower depth of field didn't, often resulting in one eye in focus and the other eye out of focus.

05-27-2017, 10:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Were your previous pairs of Pentaxes roof-prism design (straight barrel)? Your new 20x60 is a porro-prism design, which has greater depth of field that the roof-prism. When I bought my first roof-prism binocular I couldn't figure out why I was having difficulty getting both eyes in focus despite correcting for the difference between eyes with the diopter adjustment. Between me and my optometrist I finally realized that the focal difference between my eyes varied each time I brought the binoculars to my eyes. The greater depth of field in the porro-prism binoculars encompassed that variation so I never noticed, but the roof-prism binoculars' shallower depth of field didn't, often resulting in one eye in focus and the other eye out of focus.
yes, just like that

swirly out of focus areas, headaches
turned out a consistent hold to accommodate the binocular's eye relief and everything was jake
my opthamologist was kind enough to say I was lucky to see at all and I should quit whining
05-27-2017, 10:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

yes, just like that

swirly out of focus areas, headaches
turned out a consistent hold to accommodate the binocular's eye relief and everything was jake
my opthamologist was kind enough to say I was lucky to see at all and I should quit whining
Headaches can also be caused by the two barrels being knocked out of alignment. I can't count the number of times I've looked through someone else's binoculars and found that they were way out of alignment. Cheap binoculars get knocked out of alignment very easily. It doesn't cost much to get binoculars collimated, but for cheap binoculars the cost to repair them is more than the cost to replace them with an equally cheap pair of binoculars. I refer to any pair of binoculars under $250 as disposable.
05-27-2017, 01:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Headaches can also be caused by the two barrels being knocked out of alignment. I can't count the number of times I've looked through someone else's binoculars and found that they were way out of alignment. Cheap binoculars get knocked out of alignment very easily. It doesn't cost much to get binoculars collimated, but for cheap binoculars the cost to repair them is more than the cost to replace them with an equally cheap pair of binoculars. I refer to any pair of binoculars under $250 as disposable.
in general, I agree but I've spent a good many years doing with inexpensive gear...some good, some bad...and $250 was an awful lot of money for somebody with too many expensive interests
06-03-2017, 11:41 PM - 1 Like   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
my most used tool in the field
An assistant is pretty high up on my list, only Sherpa qualified/trained folk need apply... well someone has to carry it all.
06-04-2017, 06:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
An assistant is pretty high up on my list, only Sherpa qualified/trained folk need apply... well someone has to carry it all.
maybe a trolly

a commercial photographer seems obsessed with the sunrises at a lake I fish
he uses a modified all-terrain baby stroller
06-04-2017, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
An assistant is pretty high up on my list, only Sherpa qualified/trained folk need apply
Be sure to get one who practices yoga and can relax - the last thing you want is a Sherpa Tensing.
06-10-2017, 03:59 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I've got some binoculars. They're Pentax, bought them about 34 years ago. Work well, replaced the strap with a new Nikon strap. Don't like the cruddy lens caps, see many new binocular lens caps are attached and can be slid out of the way. Good feature.

If I were to buy some new binocs, I'd check out those used by avid birders....these guys use binocs, spotting scopes a lot and know what is good, what isn't when it comes to spotting birds and wildlife.
06-10-2017, 04:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Since one of my eyes is better than the other [dominant], binoculars never worked for me, particularly with glasses. 20/20 stereo vision fail.

So for 'spotting' I have a Canon SX-50 super-mega zoom camera which I got several years ago on sale for about $200. It's image not as clear as binoculars, but it has huge reach (50X or about 1200mm equiv), the image is stabilised, it has a big rear screen, plus it can take photos and video if need be. It's also quite light, less weight in fact than a big pair of binocs, so I can clip it to a back-pack strap no problems.