Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2017, 05:45 PM   #1

Is an SD card with 45mb write speed fast enough?

I’m looking at SD cards with a write speed of 45 MBs (Kingston class 10 (gold label)), and the max write speed of the K-70 is 45 MBs, so I’d think buying a faster more expensive card gives no advantage for the actual photo taking.

But will SD cards become slower if they’re not routinely formatted or with age or in high temperatures or something?

Thanks.

06-01-2017, 05:59 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Remember that at the end of the day, the images have to come off the card as well as go onto them. Pulling it and plugging it into the PC or laptop is still the fastest way. Why waste time with that step? Faster cards also offer growth potential for future faster bodies.
06-01-2017, 06:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax360 Quote
so I’d think buying a faster more expensive card gives no advantage for the actual photo taking.
Those classes are actually kind of outdated. Today's cards like SD XC and SD HC can go much faster and they are rated with UHS and even other measurements. Now, yes, for current generation Pentax DSLRs a faster card won't help much, because the camera is the bottleneck. They can't fully use the higher speeds. That said, most card speeds are written slightly misleadingly, for example 'speeds up to' does not mean 'always goes at this speed'. So buying a faster card gives you a chance that it will have a consistently faster rate overall.

You generally don't need fast speeds unless you shoot raw, burst mode, or take video. BUT it is still a good idea to have a fast card because it will let you transfer files to computer faster, if you use a USB card reader that allows those speeds. And it is a form of future-proofing - a card that is uselessly fast for your current camera might actually be used fully on the next generation camera you will buy.
Think about it this way - your camera costs hundreds of dollars, possibly over a thousand. Same thing for your lenses. Why not spend an extra $20 on SD card to get top performance? SD cards are one of the cheapest parts of DSLR photography, but it is really important, because a bad card can make you lose shots.

tl;dr: You don't need super fast cards, but it is still a good idea to get a generally fast card. Yes, paying for super high speed cards for current Pentax DSLRs can be a waste of money. I would not buy a card that is not at least class 10 (and at least 16GB capacity). UHS-I to UHS-III are faster, but the DSLR cannot use those speeds. Your computer SD card reader might be able to use those speeds, though, or your other devices or your next camera might.

But will SD cards become slower if they’re not routinely formatted or with age or in high temperatures or something?
Yes, I think so. SD cards are complicated and they are not all made equally, and over time they can develop errors. But SD cards are quite resistant to general environmental effects. Things like adding content and deleting it and overwriting it without a good format every once in a while can cause errors
Before buying, google the specific card you are interested in for user reports of problems. Thing is, each card is different and even SD cards from the same brand can be drastically different, some being more reliable than others.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 06-01-2017 at 06:47 PM.
06-01-2017, 06:40 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I’m looking at SD cards with a write speed of 45 MBs (Kingston class 10 (gold label)), and the max write speed of the K-70 is 45 MBs, so I’d think buying a faster more expensive card gives no advantage for the actual photo taking.

Thanks.
If the card can actually deliver the advertised performance, then yes, it should be fine. However, with the fastest available cards (Sandisk's extreme pro) not costing very much more, I usually just recommend those for peace of mind. They also have lifetime warranties.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-02-2017, 03:59 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Your computer SD card reader might be able to use those speeds, though
Yes, and this is where I see most of the gains. It's a pain to wait 10 minutes to get a huge bunch of Raw files off a card when a faster card could do the same thing in four or five minutes.
06-02-2017, 04:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
It's a pain to wait 10 minutes to get a huge bunch of Raw files off a card when a faster card could do the same thing in four or five minutes.
This is why coffee was invented !
06-02-2017, 05:23 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Yes, to get even more frustrated due to the caffeine rush
06-02-2017, 06:30 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Not at 10:30 pm after a kids' dance recital, when everyone in the family really needs to get to bed because they have school or work the next day!

06-02-2017, 08:13 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I don't trust Kingston cards. usually go for Sandisk plus they aren't expensive if you catch a sale which is almost always going on somewhere.
06-02-2017, 03:35 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
I don't trust Kingston cards. usually go for Sandisk plus they aren't expensive if you catch a sale which is almost always going on somewhere.
Did you have a bad experience with kingston SD cards?
06-05-2017, 05:16 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Did you have a bad experience with kingston SD cards?
the problem is that SD cards are becoming king of a mess. A lot of brands outsource some parts of the cards, they get components from different places, and sometimes the reliability suffers. The best I can advise is to get a brand with good reviews, check online to see if there are lots of people complaining about that specific SD card (not just the brand, but the brand and series, because there are differences between the series), and then testing the SD card when you get it. In-camera format, take shots, raw+, take shots in burst mode, take video, format, take more shots.
Also, buy it from a reputable store with warranty! There have been cases of people getting fakes when buying online in the past. Don't know if this is still a problem, though