Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2017, 07:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Does the Pentax DA*300 fit inside the Lowepro AW Nova 190?

Does anyone know if the Pentax DA*300 lens fits in the Lowepro AW Nova 190 camera bag?

I have been looking at this bag for carrying a bigger kit around for wildlife photography. I love the DA*300 lens but it doesn't fit in any of my current camera bags.

According to the specs it should as the bag is 20.07 cm (7.9") high inside and the lens is 18.07 cm (7.2") in length but that is without caps. By the time you add them it may be a tight fit.

Alternatively, can any one suggest a good shoulder bag that would fit the K-3 with the Pentax 18-135 lens attached, a Pentax 12-24 lens and the DA*300 lens?

Thank you from Fiji!!

Attached Images

Last edited by Theov39; 06-29-2017 at 04:20 AM.
06-05-2017, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Hello,

I own a DA 300 and an AW Nova 180. The lens (with caps) just fits in the bag in a vertical orientation, and the top of the bag closes without pressure on the lens. I measure the inside height of the bag to be approx 19.5 cm. but there's a bit of slop when closing the lid.

I recently acquired another shoulder bag - the Tamrac Apache 6.2, so that I could carry a K-3 II with its battery grip and a DA 50-135 mounted, and up to several other lenses. The bag is slightly taller than the Nova 180, and the DA 300 fits easily. The bag also accommodates the K-3 and an 18-135 mounted. I think the Apache 6.2 would carry your K-3 with 18-135 mounted plus the other two lenses.

I'd be happy to answer questions or provide more info on the Apache bag.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 06-05-2017 at 04:05 PM. Reason: comment on battery grip
06-05-2017, 08:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Hello,

I own a DA 300 and an AW Nova 180. The lens just fits in the bag in a vertical orientation, and the top of the bag closes without pressure on the lens. I measure the inside height of the bag to be 7.75 inches (19.5 cm).

I recently acquired another shoulder bag - the Tamrac Apache 6.2, so that I could carry a K-3 II with DA 50-135 mounted and up to several other lenses. The bag also easily accommodates the K-3 and an 18-135 mounted.

- Craig
Thanks Craig! That is very useful as no local store carries the 190 so my only option is ordering online without being able to try it out beforehand.

The 190, while overall bigger then the 180, is just a fraction under the interior height of the 180 bag so the DA*300 lens should fit in the 190 bag.

What do you think of the Lowepro AW Nova 180 by the way? Would you recommend buying it? The 190 is exactly the same but just a little bit bigger.

Last edited by Theov39; 06-28-2017 at 02:39 AM.
06-05-2017, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
What do you think of the Lowepro AW Nova 180 by the way? Would you recommend buying it?
Theo,

My Nova 180 was my 'workhorse' bag for several years. A full load would typically include a K-5 (later K-3) plus a mounted prime lens or a mounted DA 18-135 zoom, the DA 50-135 or 18-135 with hood, a full-sized Metz flash, one or two other prime lenses, and various accessories. I've also carried lighter loads. A few observations:

• The zipped pouches are well thought out and useful.
  • The interior padding inserts are versatile and robust, while the hook-and-loop ('Velcro') fastening is very solid.
  • The interior layout and full-opening lid provide for ready and convenient access to all contents.
  • The lid has a clip fastener as well as a wrap-around zipper, which ensure a strong and secure closure,
  • The rain cover works well (as demonstrated in several downpours).
  • The handle is well padded and balanced, and the strap is fairly comfortable.
  • I chose the Nova 180 over other sizes as a mid-sized bag - not too big, not too small. For me, the size was just right. (I also picked up a Nova 160 in a thrift shop for $4, which is useful for smaller loads.)
  • I have taken the bag on several airplane trips as a carry-on piece. Of course, the bag fits in the overhead bins or under the seat.
  • Wearing the bag so the top lid opens away from your body, the contents are easy to reach, and the bag cavity serves as a protective lens-changing platform.
  • A fully-loaded bag is somewhat heavy to carry on the shoulder for long periods, but this would be a problem with any shoulder bag.
  • I found that the bag was not able to accommodate a K-3 plus its mounted battery grip plus a couple of lenses.(This gear does fit in my Tamrac Apache 6.2 shoulder bag.)
The bag seems to be well designed, well made, and durable - there have been no tears, stitching problems, zipper failures, etc. However, my one complaint is that, after five years of frequent use, the black padding material (neoprene? suede?) on the underside of the top handle is wearing, and it's starting to disintegrate and shed little black bits. If I were to continue to use this one as my main bag, I would probably approach LowePro Canada to claim a repair or replacement under the 'Lifetime' Canadian warranty, or simply use a luggage handle wrapper. I have read a couple of other complaints of this issue (e.g., on Amazon).

Overall, I would recommend the Nova bag, despite the handle issue, which appeared only after around five years of use.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 06-05-2017 at 04:03 PM. Reason: clarify time period for the handle issue.
06-05-2017, 11:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Theo,

My Nova 180 was my 'workhorse' bag for several years. A full load would typically include a K-5 (later K-3) plus a mounted prime lens or a mounted DA 18-135 zoom, the DA 50-135 or 18-135 with hood, a full-sized Metz flash, one or two other prime lenses, and various accessories. I've also carried lighter loads. A few observations:

• The zipped pouches are well thought out and useful.
  • The interior padding inserts are versatile and robust, while the hook-and-loop ('Velcro') fastening is very solid.
  • The interior layout and full-opening lid provide for ready and convenient access to all contents.
  • The lid has a clip fastener as well as a wrap-around zipper, which ensure a strong and secure closure,
  • The rain cover works well (as demonstrated in several downpours).
  • The handle is well padded and balanced, and the strap is fairly comfortable.
  • I chose the Nova 180 over other sizes as a mid-sized bag - not too big, not too small. For me, the size was just right. (I also picked up a Nova 160 in a thrift shop for $4, which is useful for smaller loads.)
  • I have taken the bag on several airplane trips as a carry-on piece. Of course, the bag fits in the overhead bins or under the seat.
  • Wearing the bag so the top lid opens away from your body, the contents are easy to reach, and the bag cavity serves as a protective lens-changing platform.
  • A fully-loaded bag is somewhat heavy to carry on the shoulder for long periods, but this would be a problem with any shoulder bag.
  • I found that the bag was not able to accommodate a K-3 plus its mounted battery grip plus a couple of lenses.(This gear does fit in my Tamrac Apache 6.2 shoulder bag.)
The bag seems to be well designed, well made, and durable - there have been no tears, stitching problems, zipper failures, etc. However, my one complaint is that, after five years of frequent use, the black padding material (neoprene? suede?) on the underside of the top handle is wearing, and it's starting to disintegrate and shed little black bits. If I were to continue to use this one as my main bag, I would probably approach LowePro Canada to claim a repair or replacement under the 'Lifetime' Canadian warranty, or simply use a luggage handle wrapper. I have read a couple of other complaints of this issue (e.g., on Amazon).

Overall, I would recommend the Nova bag, despite the handle issue, which appeared only after around five years of use.

- Craig
Thank you Craig. That is very useful and has convinced me. You should also post your views in review section here. It would be very helpful to others.
06-05-2017, 11:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks quite similar in size to my Nova 4 AW. The DA*300 fits in my bag, but only just.
06-06-2017, 01:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It looks quite similar in size to my Nova 4 AW. The DA*300 fits in my bag, but only just.
Yes, they look very similar. Maybe that was an earlier version of this bag.