Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2017, 11:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax K-3 WiFi options?

The standard wifi option is the Flu-card but I get the impression that users here don't seem particularly happy with this option.

What alternative options are available to provide wifi on the Pentax K-3?

Thank you!

Theo

06-06-2017, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's the only option for the K-3 series. Later bodies have native wi-fi, and in addition to image sync users have now developed two different PC programs to tether with.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
...two different PC programs to tether with.
Which are what please?
06-06-2017, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

For wireless tethering the Flu Card is the only official option. For wireless file transfer, an Eye-Fi or similar compatible cards are also supported. Finding either for a reasonable price and performance level may be a challenge since Eye-Fi products are no longer on the market and the Flu Card is not to current storage standards. There is an outside chance of compatibility with Toshiba FlashAir cards at some point (Toshiba recently did a "technology merger" with Eye-Fi), but who knows when or if.

Steve

06-06-2017, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Which are what please?
The first is here:
K-S2 wifi with laptop? - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

The second is here:
My Pentax wifi remote software - PentaxForums.com

And the other is of course to just run Image Sync on an Android emulator. To be clear, these will only work with the K-S2, K-70, KP, K-1, and future wi-fi enabled cameras.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-06-2017, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
The standard wifi option is the Flu-card but I get the impression that users here don't seem particularly happy with this option.

What alternative options are available to provide wifi on the Pentax K-3?

Thank you!

Theo
I was looking for an alternative solution for my K3 for a while after end up with Flucard in the end . It is a well build card and work as advertised. But the UI is a bit slow, however usable for everyday shooting. I never bother try to transfer file btw my phone and camera using fluecard. b/c I know it is going to be very very slow. If you need fast connection, flucard is not going to satisfy you.

if you are like me, I just want to be able to see the live view when shoot extreme low angle or minimize camera move as much as possible and still have a control over basic camera setting and fire the shutter. Flucard will do the job for you. Just get a used one which come up once in a while in this forum's market place.
06-06-2017, 07:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
I was looking for an alternative solution for my K3 for a while after end up with Flucard in the end . It is a well build card and work as advertised. But the UI is a bit slow, however usable for everyday shooting. I never bother try to transfer file btw my phone and camera using fluecard. b/c I know it is going to be very very slow. If you need fast connection, flucard is not going to satisfy you.

if you are like me, I just want to be able to see the live view when shoot extreme low angle or minimize camera move as much as possible and still have a control over basic camera setting and fire the shutter. Flucard will do the job for you. Just get a used one which come up once in a while in this forum's market place.
Thanks for that! Very helpful. Looks like Flu-card may not be an option for me because transferring to my phone so I can quickly send the photo to someone else while out in the field is my main aim.

Last edited by Theov39; 06-09-2017 at 09:06 PM.
06-09-2017, 10:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Thanks!

06-09-2017, 09:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Is it possible to physically tether with a cable the K-3 to an Andriod smart phone and transfer photo files to the phone?