Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Chargers?

I am interested in finding or getting recommendations for various chargers for my batteries.

Naturally I have the one that came with my camera (I have two in fact) but I'm still interested in exploring something in addition to that.

I tend to travel sometimes to various places so keep that in mind.

Do they make chargers that can charge two batteries at once? A lot of time I might only have one plug adapter so charging two at once would be helpful.

Also do they have chargers that don't use cables? When I travel I have cords for sometimes two computer devices plus a phone and all kinds of stuff. Basically I have a bag half full of adapters and plugs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

06-11-2017, 09:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It probably depends on the charger, battery and camera - are you using AA batteries or camera-specific ?

Also, how would a charger work with no mains lead ?
06-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is the travel charger I use: amazon.com : Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for Pentax D-LI90 and Pentax 645D, 645Z, K-01, K-3, K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIs, K-7 : Digital Camera Batteries : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20& I use the regular Pentax charger at home but this one when I'm one the road. The two batteries that come with have also been good. Not quite as good as Pentax OEM, maybe 75% of the life.

I also carry this: amazon.com: Belkin 3-Outlet SurgePlus Mini Travel Swivel Charger Surge Protector with Dual USB Ports (2.1 AMP / 10 Watt), BST300: Home Audio & Theater?tag=pentaxforums-20& You can plug in your cell phone or tablet to the USB ports and use the A/C plugs for one or more battery chargers.
06-11-2017, 09:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm assuming you're referring to a charger for the camera's proprietary battery and not for commodity AA and AAA batteries. Generic chargers for Pentax batteries abound; just check eBay and Amazon to see what options are available. Most of the third-party chargers I've seen don't require cables; they just have 110v plugs that flip out of the back. Some come with adapters to use them with European outlets and may also have USB plugs where you can also use them with a car adapter. While I've never seen a charger that will charge more than one proprietary camera battery at a time, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It would certainly be technologically possible and beneficial to users such as yourself. Of course, the big question is quality and there's a huge caveat emptor on that one as many third party chargers are garbage right out of the package. Just make sure it's returnable if it doesn't work as advertised.

06-11-2017, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I am interested in finding or getting recommendations for various chargers for my batteries.

Naturally I have the one that came with my camera (I have two in fact) but I'm still interested in exploring something in addition to that.

I tend to travel sometimes to various places so keep that in mind.

Do they make chargers that can charge two batteries at once? A lot of time I might only have one plug adapter so charging two at once would be helpful.

Also do they have chargers that don't use cables? When I travel I have cords for sometimes two computer devices plus a phone and all kinds of stuff. Basically I have a bag half full of adapters and plugs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
... as for the cable, in the pentax chargers I have it can be removed and replaced with one of these plug adapters:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OHHKSU/?tag=pentaxforums-20&

https://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-Adapter-60320-C7-receptacle/dp/B004OGXY72/?tag=pentaxforums-20&
06-11-2017, 10:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The batteries are for a K-1. DL whatever. I've seen some chargers for Wasabi batteries that have flip up (and flip down) prongs.

Additionally I have a whole stack of Wasabi batteries that are largely unused. I have several OEM batteries that I prefer to use.

The little travel charger that came with the Wasabi batteries was left in another country on accident.

Long story short I don't need more batteries for now. If I get more batteries odds are I will pay extra for OEM ones.

I'm looking strictly at charger options for now.

When I get home I will check your links jatrax. Thanks for responding so fast.
06-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's very interesting. It's definitely a great option.

06-11-2017, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am interested in finding or getting recommendations for various chargers for my batteries. Do they make chargers that can charge two batteries at once? A lot of time I might only have one plug adapter so charging two at once would be helpful.
amazon.com: 2 battery charger for d-li90?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Amazon has several listed. I have used the Sun Room (how do they come up with these names?) brand dual charger for my Sony a6000 and a7 batteries, but alas, they do not make one for Pentax. They are all pretty much made in China, and should be fine if they have UL testing.
06-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I should add that a short cable will also be an option. I think the default cable is like 2 or 3 feet long. One like 6 inches or a foot would also be good to help lighten the load.

I really like those direct plugs you linked though. I will probably buy a couple.

If I can use a short or no cable with a dual charger it will be awesome.

The whole point will be to make things more compact.

QuoteOriginally posted by ragde Quote
06-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That nemwowa one listed in your link is definitely an option.

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
amazon.com: 2 battery charger for d-li90?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Amazon has several listed. I have used the Sun Room (how do they come up with these names?) brand dual charger for my Sony a6000 and a7 batteries, but alas, they do not make one for Pentax. They are all pretty much made in China, and should be fine if they have UL testing.
06-11-2017, 01:07 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I didn't see any dual chargers that I would feel comfortable with but I did buy a bunch of stuff on Amazon to try out. Hopefully this will help me 'untangle' a little bit.

Here is a list of the stuff I got:

2x 1 foot long cords.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CNTE31M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?t...&ie=UTF8&psc=1

1x splitter (it may or may not be the right thing but worth the experiment). If it's not the perfect thing I have other possible uses for it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B8OG4YM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?t...&ie=UTF8&psc=1

The plugs mentioned by Ragde:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OHHKSU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?t...&ie=UTF8&psc=1

and

amazon.com: SF Cable, 2 Prong Right Angle Plug Adapter, USA IEC 60320-C7 receptacle to NEMA 1-15P: Home Audio & Theater?tag=pentaxforums-20&

I will just use the OEM charger boxes I already have.

Hopefully there is some combination there that will help me untangle all those cords.
06-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Most dual battery chargers are going to be larger and limited to one type of battery and thus for travel are not as light and compact as two small chargers. All the chargers I know of accept 110V-220V, so all you need is an additional plug adapter which is fairly light and cheap.
For long road trips, a car adapter makes sense and they are internationally universal.

I prefer OEM quality, but have used other brands like Watson. You get what you pay for. I do wish Pentax made a wall charger that doesnʻt use a cord but a simple flip out male prongs.
06-11-2017, 09:51 PM   #13

That nemwowa one listed in your link is definitely an option.
I use that charger and I like it a lot. Simply for the fact that it's a usb charger and the cable is much more manageable than the stock Pentax cable and it will charge 2 batteries at the same time. The charger itself is slightly smaller than the stock Pentax charger. Since I have more usb charged devices this fits right in since I always have a usb capeable charger nearby.
06-11-2017, 10:23 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AndyB Quote
I use that charger and I like it a lot. Simply for the fact that it's a usb charger and the cable is much more manageable than the stock Pentax cable and it will charge 2 batteries at the same time. The charger itself is slightly smaller than the stock Pentax charger. Since I have more usb charged devices this fits right in since I always have a usb capeable charger nearby.
I might give it a second look. Let me see what's up with that I already ordered and see if that helps any first.
07-19-2017, 03:24 AM   #15

I believe quality charger preserves battery life. For genuine Pentax rechargeables (which are somewhat expensive) use genuine Pentax charger.
When switching camera bodies I bought universal HAMA Delta Base P/V charger (00 081200) with D-Li50 (00 081269) and D-Li90 (00 081321) Adapter Trays. HAMA charger is 12 VDC (car plug included) / 110/240VAC. I am to check if HAMA makes KP-battery compatible adapter tray.