Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2017, 01:31 PM   #16
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,722
QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
Yeah it probably would annoy you because you would have to take it off to use it on a tripod. I have a Blackrapid strap that I screw and unscrew to the bottom thread every time I use it so this is not an issue for me. There is a little screw at one side that I don't know the purpose of. Maybe that could be used somehow. I'm not at home right now so I can't take a picture of the bottom but here is a link to a different shop with a bottom picture. Genesis PLL-K1- p?ytka typu ?L? z mocowaniem Arca-Swiss - Penax K1
Thanks for the second link. Doesn't look like there's any place to attach the anchors. The anchor plate for Peak Design Slide is actually an arca swiss plate that can be used with a tripod anyway, so it probably would work, I just don't want to build double decks of brackets/plates I think the OP said that the bracket he bought can be used with anchors, might look into that one.

09-19-2017, 08:46 AM   #17
Pentaxian
wstruth's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: at my kitchen table
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,284
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Mm, I'd prefer to attach the anchors to the bracket itself, I'd imagine the little anchor plate would stick out and annoy me lol
I use the iShoot bracket from my original post with my peak design straps system, You can see in the photo where you can install the anchor to to the bracket. It's near the battery door. The iShoot has worked just fine, and I'm very happy with it.

here is the link for amazon for it:

https://www.amazon.com/Vertical-Release-Bracket-Camera-Olympus/dp/B00OG0S340...Cp_89%3AiShoot
09-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #18
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 8
Personally, I bought the Kirk and it was totally worth it. Particularly with the 15-30 on the K1 if I'm shooting portrait orientation the extra stability of the thicker milled metal gives me some extra comfort. I've yet to notice any wobble in any part of the assembly.
10-03-2017, 04:36 PM   #19
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,722
Has anyone tried the 3 legged thing's l bracket? I like the look of it, and they suggest k-1 suppose to be partially supported, not sure if that means the side doors would be blocked? I don't think it'll block the battery, looks like you can adjust the position of the bracket to free up the battery door access

10-03-2017, 06:22 PM   #20
Pentaxian
Fenwoodian's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,775
I have both the RRS and the Universal L brackets for my two K1's.

The RRS is one piece, and as such should last longer than the adjustable Universal bracket.

Also, for my vertical stitched Panos, I only use the RRS L-Bracket as it seems to be a bit more precision made and it's easier to find dead center with it.
10-03-2017, 07:34 PM   #21
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,722
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I have both the RRS and the Universal L brackets for my two K1's.

The RRS is one piece, and as such should last longer than the adjustable Universal bracket.

Also, for my vertical stitched Panos, I only use the RRS L-Bracket as it seems to be a bit more precision made and it's easier to find dead center with it.
I saw the RRS one, looks solid, as well as the Kirk one. I actually found the 3LT bracket with k-1 mounted, looks like it blocks the side doors unless you slide it out, while kirk and RRS one give full access. I like the RRS one more because it seems to be smaller, kirk one sticks out on the side. I'll see if I can RRS one soon
10-03-2017, 10:48 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
geomez's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Preskitt Arizona
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,756
I have the Kirk L bracket. I purchased it before I'd ever seen the RRS one. The Kirk works masterfully. I'm jealous of the RRS one because the side is thinner. Idk if it effects stability. I'm hoping it does so I can feel more justified in owning the thicker one. All I know is that being tempted to pay full price for the RRS one just to have a few millimeters shaved off when I have a perfectly useful one already is unhealthy.

10-08-2017, 04:02 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,252
Got one of these

QuoteOriginally posted by Dirtfisher Quote
Nearest I can tell, all of the universal ones either block access to the battery compartment, the side ports, or both. I may just have found a cheaper solution. While searching for L brackets specifically made for the K-1, I came across this one.

Genesis PLL-K1 - ?L?- type quick release plate for Pentax K-1 - Foto-Tip

Unfortunately it's only available in Europe, and shipping is around $30. Even so, it's still about half the price of the RRS or Kirk brand. I went ahead and ordered one. I'll update when I receive it.
Well i got ones of these last week, and so far so good.

The two lugs that stick up from the baseplate fit perfectly just below the LCD screen, and the L section fits snugly on the side. Together these ensure that once atached the K1 is not going to swivel on the arca mount if you turn your ball head so the camera is in the portrait position. I was having problems with movement in the portrait position with a heavy lens (D-FA 24-70) when using a simple arca plate design, so this appears to be well thought out.

This mount has the arca attachment on the L section too, so you could simply mount the camera directly in a portrait position. However as the L section is attached to the main plate by a single allen bolt, I am not convinced that resonance from the shutter would not be an issue if used this way. I will do some testing to find out. But as I said above, simply move the camera through 90 degrees using the ball-head of your tripod head and the K1 is kept firmly in place so this is not a real issue.

Battery and rubber terminal cover are accessible when attached, but the headphone and microphone covers are obscured. If you do limited video with the k1 , this won't be an issue.

Only downside is the plate attaches to the camera via an allen bolt, which means you need to keep the supplied key with you if you want to remove it while out shooting. I may try and see if I can fit a handle/coin-slot screw instead. Having said that i have found when hand holding the camera with the mount attached that it is less obtrusive than the standard size arca plate that came with my Gitzo tripod, so this shouldn't be a practical issue.

I ordered it from the Polish website on a Monday and it was delivered to me in the UK on the Friday by UPS.

I would recommend it.
12-15-2017, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian
angerdan's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,173
I'd recommend following thread from the K-1 category:
L Bracket, Grip and mounting stuff for K1 - PentaxForums.com
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
So the price and advantages/disadvantages of the available l-plates for the K-1 seems to be:
$145 - Markins PP-K1 + LP-K1 - same specs as RRS, but more expensive
$120 - RRS BK1.............................- same specs as Markins, but cheaper (81g, 112mm length)
$115 - Kirk BL-K1N......................- wider and 0.3oz heavier than the RRS (91g, 129mm length)
$..43 - Genesis PLL-K1.................- THE bargain

Last edited by angerdan; 12-25-2017 at 01:14 AM. Reason: listing aligned
04-17-2018, 07:00 AM   #25
Veteran Member
DimC's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Paris
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 813
QuoteOriginally posted by Dirtfisher Quote
Nearest I can tell, all of the universal ones either block access to the battery compartment, the side ports, or both. I may just have found a cheaper solution. While searching for L brackets specifically made for the K-1, I came across this one.

Genesis PLL-K1 - ?L?- type quick release plate for Pentax K-1 - Foto-Tip

Unfortunately it's only available in Europe, and shipping is around $30. Even so, it's still about half the price of the RRS or Kirk brand. I went ahead and ordered one. I'll update when I receive it.
I received my Genesis L Bracket 4 business days after placing my order, delivered by UPS. Foto Tip sent me email about the different stages, from purchasing to delivery.
I came at 52 including shipping to France, from Poland.

So far so good, it's an Arca Swiss mount and the metal part is well built.
My only concern is about my Peak design attachment that dont fit in this bracket, so I have now 2 attach in one side of the camera, as you can see in the pictures.
Do you guys think it's dangerous to carry the camera with both strap attached on the same camera body attach ?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone X  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone X  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone X  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone X  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone X  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone X  Photo 
04-17-2018, 07:39 AM   #26
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,722
I bought Markins L bracket to have the loops for the PD anchors. Not sure what the tested bearing load is for a single body anchor, are they built directly into the steel cage underneath the magnesium shell?
04-17-2018, 11:50 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
geomez's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Preskitt Arizona
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,756
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I have the Kirk L bracket. I purchased it before I'd ever seen the RRS one. The Kirk works masterfully. I'm jealous of the RRS one because the side is thinner. Idk if it effects stability. I'm hoping it does so I can feel more justified in owning the thicker one. All I know is that being tempted to pay full price for the RRS one just to have a few millimeters shaved off when I have a perfectly useful one already is unhealthy.

After I decided to tether my K-1 to my laptop, I realized why the Kirk L bracket is thicker on the side. It has two separate channels for cables to be plugged in while it is mounted in portrait orientation. The other L brackets I've seen don't have this feature.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LG-H872  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
LG-H872  Photo 
04-20-2018, 10:29 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,252
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Well i got ones of these last week, and so far so good.

The two lugs that stick up from the baseplate fit perfectly just below the LCD screen, and the L section fits snugly on the side. Together these ensure that once atached the K1 is not going to swivel on the arca mount if you turn your ball head so the camera is in the portrait position. I was having problems with movement in the portrait position with a heavy lens (D-FA 24-70) when using a simple arca plate design, so this appears to be well thought out.

This mount has the arca attachment on the L section too, so you could simply mount the camera directly in a portrait position. However as the L section is attached to the main plate by a single allen bolt, I am not convinced that resonance from the shutter would not be an issue if used this way. I will do some testing to find out. But as I said above, simply move the camera through 90 degrees using the ball-head of your tripod head and the K1 is kept firmly in place so this is not a real issue.

Battery and rubber terminal cover are accessible when attached, but the headphone and microphone covers are obscured. If you do limited video with the k1 , this won't be an issue.

Only downside is the plate attaches to the camera via an allen bolt, which means you need to keep the supplied key with you if you want to remove it while out shooting. I may try and see if I can fit a handle/coin-slot screw instead. Having said that i have found when hand holding the camera with the mount attached that it is less obtrusive than the standard size arca plate that came with my Gitzo tripod, so this shouldn't be a practical issue.

I ordered it from the Polish website on a Monday and it was delivered to me in the UK on the Friday by UPS.

I would recommend it.
Update on a few months of use The supplied Allen screw is showing signs of wear in the head where the Allen key is used to screw/unscrew. It is burring and i am now afraid to use it in case I cannot get it off again. I shall have to hunt down a better quality screw.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-1, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full Size L-Bracket for the K-1 redburnusa Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 13 02-13-2018 01:34 AM
B&H L Bracket for K-3 II Guest 2016 Visitors' Center 4 06-06-2016 04:51 PM
L-Plate/L-Bracket for Pentax K3II or New K1 MichaelErlewine Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 06-02-2016 10:50 AM
K-1 L Bracket from Kirk Enterprises interested_observer Pentax K-1 & K-1 II 8 04-28-2016 06:16 AM
L Bracket With Ball Head or No L Bracket C_Jones Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 8 01-04-2016 05:02 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:10 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top