Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2017, 05:10 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have a Benro (forget which model, but it will pack in a suitcase) and it does have the ability to convert to a monopod. It will also easily support my camera with battery grip and a pretty big lens like the DA*60-250. I've been pretty happy with it. I have Benro heads, too, even on my Vanguard tripod and Sirui monopod, so I don't have to worry about what plate to use for any of my cameras or lenses.

Here is a link to the Benro Travel Angel 2..

07-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #17
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
"acra " probably refers to the acra swiss quick release system ' 1) Arca-Swiss Quick Release The Arca-Swiss quick release system is based on a two piece mechanism. The first piece, generally referred to as a “plate”, is attached to a camera or a lens (or any other device). It comes in a standard, “arca-style” 35mm wide form with a 45° dovetail and can vary in length (a sample plate is illustrated above to the right of the tripod head). The second piece is the mounting base, generally referred to as a “clamp”, where the plate gets attached and secured. The clamp can be fully opened, allowing the plate to be dropped in and secured, or can be partially opened to allow the plate to be slid into the position. The biggest advantage of the Arca-Swiss quick release system is this ability to slide the plate without having to worry about mounting or dismounting anything. The 45° dovetail on the plate, as pictured below, allows equipment to be moved across the clamp and secured in a specific location using a side knob or a locking release. . . . " What is Arca-Swiss Quick Release System?
Just to add to this. You can get generic Arca-compatible mounting plates and clamps quite cheaply, so you can attach a clamp to whatever tripod head you choose (the screws are standard sizes), and get plates for each camera body or tripod mount on a lens. The Arca system provides for a strong connection, and will cope with quite a lot of weight. The only downsides are the weight of the clamps and plates, and the fact that the clamps are (generally) not quick-release (they need to be screwed tight and unscrewed). We fuss over saving a few grams in the tripod or head, then add them with the mounting system.

The alternative is a Monfrotto-compatible mount system. They are also cheap (even cheaper), but have the advantage of being very light weight and having a quick release system. They aren't as strong but ample for a K-3 + 55-300.
07-10-2017, 12:34 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leonardotmnt Quote
Pearsaab, have you had any issues with the height or the fact that the roadtrip only seems to have 2 locking lengths for the legs? Is it reasonably stable if you extend the center column?

I'd love to spend whatever it takes to get the best of the best but the family budget comes before my hobby so I'll have to make due with what I can reasonably afford.

So far I don't see many options that much better than the MeFoto Roadtrip when price is taken into account. The Sirui N-2004x with ballhead would be over $100 more. It would weigh almost half a lb more but only extend 1.6" further without the center column raised and only 3.4" with it raised. That seems like the trade-off might not be worth it?

Right now that's the one to beat. If I'm spending significantly more I'd like some pretty good benefits.

I almost never use it with the center column extended but that is a habit I have even with my strongest tripod. I personally would not feel comfortable with it being sturdy enough if i was trying to get a picture without any movement. The legs lock great and no issues from that. Sorry I have been on vacation or would have replied sooner.
07-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Tripod recommendation
A thought for you... I would tend to buy the three elements independantly i.e. the tripod legs, the ball head and a separate monopod, that way you get exactly the right combination to suit your needs.

Always buy taller than you need, buy heavier than you need and buy a head that is able to support far more weight than you need. By doing this your investment in good kit will last a lifetime and not require changed every time an issue arises in the specifications.

07-10-2017, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #20

the mefoto roadtrip carbon fiber tripod should also fit your criteria. $300 and 3.1 lbs. it has an arca swiss ballhead and will fit your peak design plate easily.
07-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I recently bought the Dolica LA 600 travel tripod. It does NOT convert to a mono-pod but it is a great tripod. I prefer to buy separate tripod and mono-pod as otherwise there are too many design compromises to be made. With your budget you could easily buy both.

Generally I find super light weight tripods (under 3 pounds) to be to be a bit unstable but the Dolica LA600 seems very stable and it also has a hook at the bottom of the center column to hang a small bag for additional weight.

In terms of mounting systems, I find the Manfrotto QR system to be faster and easier to use then the Arca-Swiss system, as you can just clip the camera in place, while on the AS system you have to turn and tighten a separate knob to release and fit the camera.

For the leg locks look for levers, rather than twist locks. Lever locks are much faster to use.

There is a nice overview of the tripod here:

Amazon has lots of reviews. Most of them seem very positive.

amazon.com : Dolica LA600 Pro 60-Inch Aluminum Alloy Traveler Edition Tripod (Black) : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Last edited by Theov39; 07-15-2017 at 09:39 PM.
07-18-2017, 05:33 AM   #22

Which Manfrotto QR (plate, clamp) do you use, as there are many of them?
I found small rectangular Manfrotto QR plates too fiddling (i.e. with telefoto/zoom lenses with no tripod mounts, relying just on camera body tripod mounts), while big Manfrotto hexagonal plates were perfect fit but very cumbersome (huge!) with full frame/APSC bodies.

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
In terms of mounting systems, I find the Manfrotto QR system to be faster and easier to use then the Arca-Swiss system, as you can just clip the camera in place, while on the AS system you have to turn and tighten a separate knob to release and fit the camera.

07-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #23
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
Which Manfrotto QR (plate, clamp) do you use, as there are many of them? I found small rectangular Manfrotto QR plates too fiddling (i.e. with telefoto/zoom lenses with no tripod mounts, relying just on camera body tripod mounts), while big Manfrotto hexagonal plates were perfect fit but very cumbersome (huge!) with full frame/APSC bodies.
This kind of thing seems to be the de facto standard: 323 Quick Release QR Plate Clamp Adapter for Manfrotto 200-PL14 RC2 DSLR Tripod | eBay
As I said earlier, these aren't suitable for heavy camera/lens combinations, but fine for the OP's K-3 + DA 55-300. Cheap as chips and very convenient.

I use an Arca-compatible system myself.
07-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Which Manfrotto QR (plate, clamp) do you use, as there are many of them?
I found small rectangular Manfrotto QR plates too fiddling (i.e. with telefoto/zoom lenses with no tripod mounts, relying just on camera body tripod mounts), while big Manfrotto hexagonal plates were perfect fit but very cumbersome (huge!) with full frame/APSC bodies.
I use the original Manfrotto 323 RC2 System Quick Release Adapter (clamp) with a 200PL-14 plate and highly recommend that set. It's now over 10 years old and still as good as new.

Manfrotto 323 RC2 System Quick Release Adapter with 200PL-14 323

For larger telephoto lenses and cameras you probably need something bigger but with my K-3/7 and DA*300 lens, using the lens mount, it is rock solid on my Manfrotto 190 tripod and Manfrotto 222 Action Head.

I have not tried that combo on my smaller and lighter Dolica LA600 tripod yet. The Dolica LA600 also uses the Manfrotto mounting system but it appears to be a smaller plate. Not sure what the Manfrotto equivalent is.
Attached Images

Last edited by Theov39; 07-18-2017 at 03:51 PM.
07-18-2017, 04:34 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am using an older version of this one X-Series – Fotopro
07-19-2017, 12:19 AM   #26

How do you secure this small QR plate against camera body that i does not (or it does?) twist in vertical shooting position?
07-19-2017, 12:54 AM   #27
Pentaxian

How do you secure this small QR plate against camera body that i does not (or it does?) twist in vertical shooting position?
I am not sure exactly what you mean? Do you mean that when the camera is in the vertical position the plate rotates?

In that case, you just need to make sure you have screwed it in as tight as possible. If there is a gap between the base of the plate and camera add an additional layer of very thin rubber. That should hold it in place.
07-19-2017, 01:19 AM   #28

Is there any other reason to go with it other than the half lb weight difference? Any other advantages?
Frostbites? I do not like the touch of aluminium in low temperatures. You may need leg warmers, which are not necessary with carbon fibre legs.
Salty weather (seaside)? Aluminium corrodes, but magnesium corrodes even faster.

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
In that case, you just need to make sure you have screwed it in as tight as possible.
There is no way to screw small plate with small footprint as tight as possible without plate collar/lip. I experienced that with very similar Gitzo 2xxx series plates, both cork- and rubber-lined (cork does not hold enough, rubber gives 'spongy' fit).
So I went L-bracket way (RRS & K-3), but I have to admit that unfortunately none of my long focus lenses (with the exception of Canon 300mm FF) have their own tripod mount / tripod collar

Last edited by Prakticant; 07-19-2017 at 01:27 AM.