Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #1

Recommendations for messenger (or other) bag for Pentax K-1

I'm currently looking for a messenger (or other bag) that would eventually at least hold a Pentax K-1 with a ultra/wide lens (Irix 15mm f/2.4 Blackstone), a second Pentax K-1 with a normal lens (either the Pentax 43mm f/1.9 Limited or Pentax DA* 55mm f/1.4), the Pentax D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro, a medium (Pentax DA* 200mm f/2.8) or long (Pentax DA* 300mm f/4) telephoto, and some assorted filters. The ability to carry my laptop (MacBook Pro 15) is optional--I do have a really good shoulder bag for that.

I've currently looked at the Domke Metro Messenger and the Peak Design Everyday Messenger. They both look nice, but the latter just looks like a gimmick. Any suggestions about these or other bags? I currently have a Manfrotto Redbee-210 that I plan to sell (feel free to message if you're interested). It was used once on a trip to Italy, but I personally found it too big and uncomfortable to have that big of a backpack on at all times.

07-02-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had 2 Tenba Large Messenger bags. I have been pleased with both. I normally carry 1 body 2 zooms a couple of primes and a speed light. Im sure it will fit 2 K-1s.
07-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hmm that's a lot of gear for a messenger bag imo. I'd say a good backpack would be easier to carry. If you want a smaller messenger for a body and one-two lenses, the Kata Orbit 110/120/130 dl are pretty good. I got the smaller one for a lighter kit for the city/travel. For my full kit I use Manfrotto 3N1-35.
07-02-2017, 11:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've had the Tenba Messenger DNA 15 for the past year. I recommend it. It has a removable camera insert that can hold 2-3 lenses & at least one body. Also both a laptop and a tablet. Very well built, waterproof. Has a hip belt if needed. The only negative is the shoulder strap and pad, which just isn't ergonomic. I replace it with a Tom Binh strap and pad.
amazon.com : Tenba Messenger DNA 15 Camera and Laptop Bag - Graphite (638-381) : Photographic Equipment Bags : Books?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Peak Design stuff is totally gimmicky and dysfunctional. I had the Everyday large Backpack and it was great looking but silly in use and I returned it after two weeks.

M

07-02-2017, 12:15 PM   #5

+1 tenba messenger DNA 15. I can manage body+battery grip with dfa100 macro mounted, 150-450 (unmounted only for the bag, and barely, but I suspect the 200/300 you mention can fit), sigma 18-35, 50/2-A, da40xs, 1.4xTC and flash. If I drop the 150-450 then I can easily put a second body with battery grip. If I drop both battery grips then I could mount the aps-c body to 18-35 and have the full frame on the dfa100. Plus filters, batteries, colorchecker, sunglasses, sunblock, gorrillapod zoom, etc. I have packed a 15" laptop in there as well with chargers for both camera and laptop and phone (not with the 150-450 but it technically could) for travel. I've used it as my main camera bag for over a year now and it's good as new.

However... that's a super heavy bag and not recommended for more than an hour or two. you could maybe fit one other small lens if you don't mind them not in their own compartments. If you're really trying to carry that much for long spans, I'd take a second look at backpacks.

Oh and for ultra-wide specifically, it has no trouble with the laowa 15mm f/4 macro in the place of the sigma or the 150-450. Maybe in place of the 100. I think with some rearranging it could take the place of the flash.

Last edited by fehknt; 07-02-2017 at 12:17 PM. Reason: add comment on the ultrawide.
07-02-2017, 12:24 PM   #6

Original Poster
Regarding the Tenba, what about tripod connections?

Also is the Tenba too big? That's my one concern. I like bags that are compact. Honestly, I probably don't even need a laptop slot because I have an excellent case on the way for that.
07-02-2017, 12:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sabzijoon Quote
I'm currently looking for a messenger (or other bag) that would eventually at least hold a Pentax K-1 with a ultra/wide lens (Irix 15mm f/2.4 Blackstone), a second Pentax K-1 with a normal lens (either the Pentax 43mm f/1.9 Limited or Pentax DA* 55mm f/1.4), the Pentax D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro, a medium (Pentax DA* 200mm f/2.8) or long (Pentax DA* 300mm f/4) telephoto, and some assorted filters. The ability to carry my laptop (MacBook Pro 15) is optional--I do have a really good shoulder bag for that.

I've currently looked at the Domke Metro Messenger and the Peak Design Everyday Messenger. They both look nice, but the latter just looks like a gimmick. Any suggestions about these or other bags? I currently have a Manfrotto Redbee-210 that I plan to sell (feel free to message if you're interested). It was used once on a trip to Italy, but I personally found it too big and uncomfortable to have that big of a backpack on at all times.
I have the Domke F-803 messenger bag and it is a very good, high quality bag but it may be smaller than what you are looking for. I recommend the Domke but can't comment on the peak design. I never held one for comparison. I can carry, K-3. DA 55-300 PLM and any three DA limited primes and have room for accessories such ad filters, charger and spare battery and a lens cleaning kit, no problem with the F-803 which is a nice slim messenger bag..

07-02-2017, 12:34 PM   #8
Forum Member

Sling?

For that much gear I really like using a sling style bag. Backpacks are too difficult to grab gear from and messengers are too heavy and awkward with that much for me. The slings combine the best of both with the weight carrying advantage of the backpack and the access of the messenger. I've used kata and Lowepro slings and like them both. I'm currently using the Lowepro bc I found it a little more comfortable, but that's totally personal. A lot of people really like the look of the kata slings.
07-02-2017, 12:53 PM   #9

Original Poster
I never thought about using a sling. My issue is that I always like to travel light. So, I listed the maximum amount of gear I ever see myself carrying. Though, I think 90% of the time, I'd carry just carry a Pentax K-1 with an ultra-wide and the other K-1 with the 43mm and throw in the 100mm or a short telephoto like the 77mm for good measure.
07-02-2017, 03:06 PM   #10
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any suggestions about these or other bags?
I have a Thinktank Retrospective 30 Shoulder Bag: Think Tank Photo Retrospective 30 Shoulder Bag 766 B&H Photo I use it to house my Gigapan Epic Pro and occassionally use it for my camera instead of carrying a backpack. It's not the cheapest but it's very well made, could carry a notebook as well as two K-1 bodies plus lenses. The dividers can be moved of course so the set up to suit you could be easily configured for multiple camera/lens combos.

It has multiple internal and external pockets and a nice wide shoulder strap. It also has a hand strap that is really convenient for picking up the bag to carry over a short distance. There is a rain cover provided secured in one of the outer pockets located under the main flap. These pockets are gussetted so they easily allow smaller lenses like the 77 or 43 to be carried in them. I keep the FA50/1.4 in one of these pockets and have carried the Zeiss 35/2 in them which is closer in size and weight to the D-FA 100.

If you follow the link there's some example load pics including a two camera set up with Canon 5D's. To give you an idea of how much space there is with some of the Pentax items you've mentioned I have attached a photo of the Retrospective 30 with K-1 (plus battery grip), the DA*300/4 and the D-FA 15-30. Please note, I just installed the dividers equally and all three items were loose in this arrangement so a second body plus the DA*300 and the DA*200 plus the D-FA100 and the 77 and the 43 would probably fit in this bag if you don't mind a sore back.

Hope this helps.

Tas
07-02-2017, 04:28 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I have a Thinktank Retrospective 30 Shoulder Bag: Think Tank Photo Retrospective 30 Shoulder Bag 766 B&H Photo I use it to house my Gigapan Epic Pro and occassionally use it for my camera instead of carrying a backpack. It's not the cheapest but it's very well made, could carry a notebook as well as two K-1 bodies plus lenses. The dividers can be moved of course so the set up to suit you could be easily configured for multiple camera/lens combos.

It has multiple internal and external pockets and a nice wide shoulder strap. It also has a hand strap that is really convenient for picking up the bag to carry over a short distance. There is a rain cover provided secured in one of the outer pockets located under the main flap. These pockets are gussetted so they easily allow smaller lenses like the 77 or 43 to be carried in them. I keep the FA50/1.4 in one of these pockets and have carried the Zeiss 35/2 in them which is closer in size and weight to the D-FA 100.

If you follow the link there's some example load pics including a two camera set up with Canon 5D's. To give you an idea of how much space there is with some of the Pentax items you've mentioned I have attached a photo of the Retrospective 30 with K-1 (plus battery grip), the DA*300/4 and the D-FA 15-30. Please note, I just installed the dividers equally and all three items were loose in this arrangement so a second body plus the DA*300 and the DA*200 plus the D-FA100 and the 77 and the 43 would probably fit in this bag if you don't mind a sore back.

Hope this helps.

Tas
Thank you, is there a dedicated notebook pocket?
07-02-2017, 05:29 PM   #12
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you, is there a dedicated notebook pocket?
There's an internal pocket and an external pocket, both of which could be used for a Notebook. On their website they show images with a Notebook in the bag along with camera gear: Retrospective 30 - Best Photography Camera Shoulder Bag ? Think Tank Photo

They also have an example list of items that will fit:

What Fits -
  • 2 gripped DSLRs
  • 70-200 f/2.8 unattached
  • 24–70 f/2.8 attached
  • 16–35 f/2.8 attached
  • Up to a 10” tablet
  • Example: 2 Nikon D4s’, 70-200mm f/2.8 unattached, 24–70mm f/2.8 attached, 14-24mm f/2.8, iPad

Tas
07-02-2017, 06:19 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never thought about using a sling. My issue is that I always like to travel light. So, I listed the maximum amount of gear I ever see myself carrying. Though, I think 90% of the time, I'd carry just carry a Pentax K-1 with an ultra-wide and the other K-1 with the 43mm and throw in the 100mm or a short telephoto like the 77mm for good measure.
I recently got a Thinktank Turnstyle sling for "Traveling light. The one I have (photo below) would not be big enough, the largest lens I had in there was a Sigma 17-50, but they make a larger one. Watch the video on the site to see what it can hold, I think they have videos for most of their products. Anyway I really like it' it's very comfortable and compact. Yesterday I walked for about 2 1/2 hours with the bag holding a K-50 with Sigma 17-50 mounted, a DA 18-135, HD DA 15, and an F 50, while carrying a K-30 with a F 35-70 on a shoulder strap, no shoulder fatigue. It's very easy to slide it around , open it grab the other camera., or change a lens. The nice thing about the design is that you can get to everything without taking the bag off.

07-02-2017, 08:51 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
There's an internal pocket and an external pocket, both of which could be used for a Notebook. On their website they show images with a Notebook in the bag along with camera gear: Retrospective 30 - Best Photography Camera Shoulder Bag ? Think Tank Photo

They also have an example list of items that will fit:

What Fits -
  • 2 gripped DSLRs
  • 70-200 f/2.8 unattached
  • 24–70 f/2.8 attached
  • 16–35 f/2.8 attached
  • Up to a 10” tablet
  • Example: 2 Nikon D4s’, 70-200mm f/2.8 unattached, 24–70mm f/2.8 attached, 14-24mm f/2.8, iPad

Tas
Those pictures are definitely helpful--seems like this bag will be in the running for me. Which photo were you referring to that accommodated a notebook? I'm pretty sure this bag won't fit my 15" MacBook Pro.
07-02-2017, 09:12 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Regarding the Tenba, what about tripod connections?

Also is the Tenba too big? That's my one concern. I like bags that are compact. Honestly, I probably don't even need a laptop slot because I have an excellent case on the way for that.
1. While the Tenba has no formal tripod holder straps, I have on a few occasions placed a 17-in Manfrotto CF across the length on top and secured it down with the substantial top flap which covers the whole bag. Worked well enough.
2. What is "too big?" You cannot have a compact bag and also carry as much gear as you desire with any sense of elegance or sustainability. When things get too heavy or bulky for me I use my Lowepro Protactic 450 AW backpack which is also amazing.
3. A laptop slot is far handier than I ever imagined, if not for a slim laptop, then for prints or a portfolio.

M