Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2017, 09:37 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Domke Metro Messenger. It comfortably fits my DFA15-30, DFA24-70, DFA*70-200, DA*300 and the K-1, with room for a flash and a couple of small primes in the side pockets. 15" laptop would be no problem either.

It is a remarkably comfortable carry considering the total weight of the above kit.

07-03-2017, 12:15 AM   #17
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sabzijoon Quote
Those pictures are definitely helpful--seems like this bag will be in the running for me. Which photo were you referring to that accommodated a notebook? I'm pretty sure this bag won't fit my 15" MacBook Pro.

This is the one I was thinking of, though looking at it now it's probably just an iPad. I measured this outer pocket, the zipper opens 300mm and the pocket is 200mm deep. It's a slim pocket and looking at the dimensions of the 15" Macbook Pro

Height: 1.55 cm (0.61 inch)
Width: 34.93 cm (13.75 inches)
Depth: 24.07 cm (9.48 inches)

a 15" Notebook looks to be too big for that pocket. The two internal pockets are slightly larger however I expect these too might be too small, especially once you add a couple of cameras/lenses. My apologies for the error I could have sent the dimensions for the pockets through with my inital post.

Tas
07-03-2017, 06:57 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I have the Domke Metro Messenger. It comfortably fits my DFA15-30, DFA24-70, DFA*70-200, DA*300 and the K-1, with room for a flash and a couple of small primes in the side pockets. 15" laptop would be no problem either.

It is a remarkably comfortable carry considering the total weight of the above kit.
Any chance that you have a couple of pictures with it loaded with your gear?

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote

This is the one I was thinking of, though looking at it now it's probably just an iPad. I measured this outer pocket, the zipper opens 300mm and the pocket is 200mm deep. It's a slim pocket and looking at the dimensions of the 15" Macbook Pro

Height: 1.55 cm (0.61 inch)
Width: 34.93 cm (13.75 inches)
Depth: 24.07 cm (9.48 inches)

a 15" Notebook looks to be too big for that pocket. The two internal pockets are slightly larger however I expect these too might be too small, especially once you add a couple of cameras/lenses. My apologies for the error I could have sent the dimensions for the pockets through with my inital post.

Tas
I have an STM Judge Brief on the way, which is how I'd carry my laptop anyway. Now, what I need to decide is whether I want the option to have my laptop with me in the bag or not. If I don't, then I'd probably choose this bag. Otherwise, I'd go for the Domke.
07-04-2017, 01:56 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any chance that you have a couple of pictures with it loaded with your gear?
Sure

Globe trotter

The 15-30 and 24-70 are under the K-1. The padded flap in front of the body cap flips down when travelling to protect body and lenses from each other. You can see the flash in the left hand pocket and the 15" laptop in the front pocket(although it usually travels in the rear pocket, which is covered by the top flap). The other side pocket has heaps of room for two small primes like the DFA100WR and FA77. The main compartment is easily deep enough to accommodate the DFA150-450 instead of the DA*300 if you want to go all modern

07-04-2017, 03:18 AM   #20

Original Poster
Sure

Globe trotter

The 15-30 and 24-70 are under the K-1. The padded flap in front of the body cap flips down when travelling to protect body and lenses from each other. You can see the flash in the left hand pocket and the 15" laptop in the front pocket(although it usually travels in the rear pocket, which is covered by the top flap). The other side pocket has heaps of room for two small primes like the DFA100WR and FA77. The main compartment is easily deep enough to accommodate the DFA150-450 instead of the DA*300 if you want to go all modern
That looks like an incredible bag. I'm also considering the Domke Chronicle--the black+sand version is $170. It doesn't have a laptop compartment, but I seem to like it better since it's not as long. Any suggestions here?
07-04-2017, 10:38 AM   #21
Pentaxian

That looks like an incredible bag. I'm also considering the Domke Chronicle--the black+sand version is $170. It doesn't have a laptop compartment, but I seem to like it better since it's not as long. Any suggestions here?
I bought the Domke Chronicle back in December when it was on sale for the Black/Sand rugged wear canvas version. Great bag, you can't go wrong with it. Just be aware it is squarer in shape than the typical narrow messenger bag. If you do not mind that , it is highly recommended. Top quality, configurable inside and holds lots of gear. Personally when I need to bring a lot of things, this is my favorite bag.
07-04-2017, 12:42 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Tenba Messenger 11. It's very nice, and will just barely hold a K-1 with the 15-30 mounted and a Tamron 70-200. But that's very heavy and I'm not sure I'd want to spend hours with that. For two bodies + lenses as your describing, you'd want a 13 or 15 size.

07-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #23

Original Poster
Sure

Globe trotter

For your picture, it looks like I'd be able to easily fit a K-1 with a normal/wide angle prime (the 31mm and 43mm are ones that I'm thinking here), a second K-1 with a short telephoto prime (77mm), and a longer lens or two (depending on if I want to stack or not). This is if I place the bodies vertically with the lens facing towards either pocket and the bag is divided into three more equally sized compartments.

---------- Post added 07-04-17 at 01:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I bought the Domke Chronicle back in December when it was on sale for the Black/Sand rugged wear canvas version. Great bag, you can't go wrong with it. Just be aware it is squarer in shape than the typical narrow messenger bag. If you do not mind that , it is highly recommended. Top quality, configurable inside and holds lots of gear. Personally when I need to bring a lot of things, this is my favorite bag.
So, this is the other thing... I want to be able to carry good amount of gear, but not too much. I'll never carry too much gear given my shooting style. I usually just want/need 2 bodies with ultra/wide and normal/short telephoto primes attached and a third lens for easy access. That third lens is usually the D FA 100mm Macro. When it's for birding or where more reach is required, then it'll likely be the DA* 200mm or 300mm.

The question is which is more suitable and do I want to have my laptop with me, probably not, but I"m having a hard time deciding.[COLOR="Silver"]

Last edited by sabzijoon; 07-04-2017 at 01:10 PM.
07-04-2017, 03:14 PM   #24

Original Poster
Nevermind... Just ordered the Domke Chronicle Black/Sand. I did a mockup of the interior dimensions on a couple of sheets of paper and found that it'd be perfect.

Thanks for all of your help, folks!
07-04-2017, 03:39 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I just managed to fit k-1 with 28-105 attached, a small 50 1.8 prime, 70-200 2.8 and a flash into my messenger))
07-05-2017, 05:33 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Nevermind... Just ordered the Domke Chronicle Black/Sand. I did a mockup of the interior dimensions on a couple of sheets of paper and found that it'd be perfect.

Thanks for all of your help, folks!
Great choice. I hope you like it as much as I do. I really like the rear trolley strap for traveling and the combination option of top zipper access or two buckle release two to lift the entire top flap.