Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Days Ago   #1
Site Supporter

Remote suggestions for K-1

I bought a small ebay wireless remote for the K-50 zonks ago, wasn't expensive and actually worked fine and with the K-1 also, that was till it went through the washing machine lol.
I'm now needing a new remote system for the K-1 and wouldn't mind something that had a few more options available, I might actually need two...

The one I had looked similar to those showing on Pentax's official store page; Ricoh Imaging | REMOTES i.e. it was wireless and basically allowed for a AF mode or Manual. When using Bulb mode you held down the button and released it when you wanted.

What issues I have found thus far, and am wondering if something exists (even 3rd party) that is better than these official Pentax offerings;

1) Pentax's default maximum exposure seems to be 30secs, however choosing the astrotracer mode (and turning it 'off' with the green button) allows for a longer time, I'm guessing so that you can do star trails etc and expose for very long times (such as 3-5mins or longer?). Thing is, if you keep the astrotracer mode on as intended (to keep the stars stationary) it seems to go back to Bulb mode, which means holding the button down for a long long time... which is annoying after awhile. If there was a wireless remote (or wired) that allowed the user to specify the exposure time (regardless of mode) that might be handy. Or perhaps a possible workaround is to actually do as I said above and enable astrotracer mode but toggle it off (I just found this out over the weekend so I haven't fully investigated this yet).

2) Range. The wireless remote I had, seemed to be a bit naff when it came to range, especially if in front of the camera and trying to take a remote pic (of yerself + scenery etc), so basically something that has a fair bit of range.

3) Just basically a richer set of functions.

I'm aware of the Image Sync software for iOS and Android, I need to update my K-1's firmware because I believe it now is a richer experience than when it first came out. But still I like to have remote solutions that are not phone dependent.

So yeh... I'm curious what people are using for their K-1's in terms of remotes.

Cheers,

Bruce

5 Days Ago   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one like this: amazon.com : Neewer LCD Timer Shutter Release Remote Control for Canon 700D/T5i, 650D/T4i, 550D/T2i, 500D/T1i, 350D/XT, 400D/XTi, 1000D/XS, 450D/XSi, 60D, 100D, and Pentax : Telescope Remote Controls : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20& Mine says "Vello" but it looks indentical.

I also see this one: amazon.com : PIXEL FSK 2.4GHz Wireless Shutter Remote Release Control for Canon 700D/T5i, 650D/T4i, 550D/T2i, 500D/T1i, 350D/XT, 400D/XTi, 1000D/XS, 450D/XSi, 60D, 100D, and Pentax : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20& which looks interesting, seems to have the same functions as mine plus a wireless option. You should verify compatibility of course but a quick look seems to indicate it will work on Pentax with that jack.
5 Days Ago   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I use a third party (JJC RM-E7) IR remote accessory a lot, for several years now. It is tiny. It has 2 separate buttons , 1 for AF , 1 for shutter release. There is an option in the camera to have the shutter release also performing an AF routine or not. Distance: I can take a shot from 10 meters at the back of the camera or similar distance at the front. IR remote on Pentax is great, it is small, not cable, and it works well. I like the back IR sensor on the Pentax K1.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 5 Days Ago at 09:55 PM.
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Re. v1.40 Bulb mode: you do not need to enter Astrotracer mode. Set the mode dial to B, then use the green button to toggle between Bulb mode (user time-controlled) and Timer mode (camera time-controlled). In timer mode, the front dial is used to select exposure times between 10 seconds and 20 minutes. In Bulb mode, you are in control of the exposure time (e.g., using an external shutter release, intervalometer).

Note that when in Astrotracer mode, the green button also toggles between Astrotracer and Bulb mode. These are mutually exclusive modes.

Last edited by jbinpg; 5 Days Ago at 11:06 PM.
4 Days Ago   #5

There is a setting to change bulb mode between press and hold and toggle on/off.
4 Days Ago   #6

Remotes themselves (not talking tethered operation here), are rather simple devices that basically tell the camera that a focus or shutter press has been done and that's it.

More complex functions (like some you describe) are part of the camera itself and have little to do with the remote. The K-1 recognizes two IR codes, one for focus, and the second for a shutter press (same is true for a wired remote). If those two functions are part of a standard camera operation (e.g., doing a time exposure), the remote will work just the same as pressing the actual camera shutter button, but if you're trying to do a special function (e.g. two exposures with 5 seconds between them), the camera itself must be capable of that function. The only exception (unless a specialized custom remote is available) is that some remotes have a locking feature which allows the shutter release to be locked so you don't have to keep your finger on the button. Most remotes, including the Pentax IR remote, will keep the shutter open (in bulb mode) as long as the shutter button is held down. The toggle feature of the camera will allow any remote to extend the shutter open time without holding a button, but that is a feature of the camera and not the remote (good engineering on Ricoh's part to include that in the K-1).

It's also handy to know that the IR codes can be copied and other devices can use them to initiate focus and shutter release as well (with the K-1 IR connection).
4 Days Ago   #7
Pentaxian

The K-1 has an option, even when not in astrotracer mode, to allow exposure times > 30 seconds. (See reply from jbinpg above for how to do that)

I clip the Pentax O-RC1 wireless remote onto a shoulder strap of my hiking camera bag. I can setup my camera and tripod, hit the remote, then quickly move to the next location. I mostly use this for daytime landscapes with short exposures in Av or M mode, not Bulb.

I also have a wired programmable intervalometer. There's already a link for a Neewer brand model on Amazon in a prior reply. The same remote is available under other brand names, too. I use this as:
1) Lockable trigger for star trails (hundreds of consecutive 30 second exposures, M mode, continuous high shutter, just lock the remote button down and don't need any programming)
2) Night landscapes, if I want to take multiple exposures > 30 seconds (bulb mode, camera set to keep shutter open while external button is pressed, exposure length and number of photos programmed on the intervalometer)

Note that the way I use the wired intervalometer is mostly a holdover from how I did things with the K-5. The K-1 has some new options for long exposures and composite modes that I have yet to fully explore.

Last edited by DeadJohn; 4 Days Ago at 02:32 PM.
4 Days Ago   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Re. v1.40 Bulb mode: you do not need to enter Astrotracer mode. Set the mode dial to B, then use the green button to toggle between Bulb mode (user time-controlled) and Timer mode (camera time-controlled). In timer mode, the front dial is used to select exposure times between 10 seconds and 20 minutes. In Bulb mode, you are in control of the exposure time (e.g., using an external shutter release, intervalometer).

Note that when in Astrotracer mode, the green button also toggles between Astrotracer and Bulb mode. These are mutually exclusive modes.
Thanks!! I've been looking for that extended time feature.

3 Days Ago   #9
Pentaxian

It's surprising that Pentax put shutter times > 30 secs in B instead of M, but once you learn where to find the hidden feature it works well.