Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2017, 08:46 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations!

I frequently bike with my K-1 and 3-4 lenses, usually prime lenses to keep the weight and size down. I have a sling bag and three backpacks to choose from. For short trips and light weight loads, the sling bag is fine. However, I do have to re-position the bag on my bag somewhat frequently. A sling bag is basically designed to rotate around the body. There is nothing to keep it in place unless you also have a waist strap. So for longer rides or heavier equipment a backpack is preferred. I have no problem whatsoever with the higher center of gravity while biking with a backpack. I don't wish to store my equipment in a bike-mounted carrier because of the jarring and constant vibration. The bike-rider serves as a shock absorber for the equipment when a backpack is used. I have three backpacks only because I've outgrown them. The first one lacked any means to attach a lightweight tripod so that resulted in the purchase of number 2. The second one ended up a tiny bit too small when I started carrying three full-frame zooms. The third one is pretty perfect. So the message here is to consider future use, as well as other things you may want carry. A larger backpack that is half full is not a lot heavier than a smaller backpack with the same load, assuming no frame is involved. Having said that, I think all three of my backpacks are excellent and I still use all of them. Good luck!

07-23-2017, 08:51 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
First of all, congratulations!

Otherwise, if the object is a pack to wear while you're cycling, I'm not sure the backpack route would be my first choice if only for center-of-gravity issues. A sling pack or lumbar pack that you could settle into the small of your back rather than up high between your shoulder blades might be better--or, if you are set on a backpack, consider taking the stays out and lengthening the straps to get it into a similar position. Then--if cycling then becomes a regular thing--I'd invest in a set of panniers and put the densest part of my loadout there.

Thank you for congrats!

Thanks for priceless piece of advice too.
I don't think this cycling thing is going to be regular for very much longer as my missus will probably develop taste for something else quick enough with just sporadic bicycle attacks ;P

Hence I thought it will be good to invest in backpack as I have couple of normal shoulder camera bags already and backpack would be good all rounder.

---------- Post added 07-23-17 at 08:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
This website has a ton of user reviews on camera backpacks and many show what gear they carry in their bag.

Camera Bags Reviews Homepage - Cambags

Tim

Lovely webpage man! Reading their reviews atm. Thanks!
07-23-2017, 12:34 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
To help with quick access to your camera gear it might be worth considering options that provide side access and or sling mount.
They all should be sufficiently secure on the back when in motion on the bike, but with a simple release of a buckle be wung around to the front to access your kit. Tas
I own two camera slings, and would not recommend it for women if they plan to carry something heavier than mirrorsless camera in there. First, it's not comfortable to carry loaded sling on the back if you plan to ride a bike. Extra strap is not really helpful, the sling moves on back anyway.

Second, I can't carry loaded sling on my back because the front looks well... somehow embarrassing when the strap goes across the chest. ))) I carry in only on front, like a baby sling, or on one shoulder as a bag, and it's not comfortable at all. I also think that for mother-to-be it's not the solution to carry sling and baby sling, she may need her hands free all the time, and space for the baby up front.
Small or medium size sling is ok for street walking with one camera, one lens, on the front. That's all, imo.

I'm looking for a decent backpack myself. Still looking...

Last edited by micromacro; 07-23-2017 at 12:41 PM.
07-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I own two camera slings, and would not recommend it for women if they plan to carry something heavier than mirrorsless camera in there. First, it's not comfortable to carry loaded sling on the back if you plan to ride a bike. Extra strap is not really helpful, the sling moves on back anyway.

Second, I can't carry loaded sling on my back because the front looks well... somehow embarrassing when the strap goes across the chest. ))) I carry in only on front, like a baby sling, or on one shoulder as a bag, and it's not comfortable at all. I also think that for mother-to-be it's not the solution to carry sling and baby sling, she may need her hands free all the time, and space for the baby up front.
Small or medium size sling is ok for street walking with one camera, one lens, on the front. That's all, imo.

I've been hiking in hot Central Florida just as you and TBH that Osprey pack I mentioned earlier is darn comfortable and stays cool. The hard frame with mesh back pocket on the Stratos 24 helps a lot, yet it's still a relatively small and light backpack. Bigplus: It's fully adjustable for torso length as long as it's the new version and not last years.

It's got enough space for my LowePro sling holding a *200, *50-135 and DA15 LTD with extra SD cards and batteries, lenspen, assorted camera tidbits....
Plus a 30" silver/white reflector, AF 360 flash, one Better Beamer, a large rocket blower, rain-gear, spare socks, one of those small foldable emergency blankets (great when sitting on that early morning wet ground) small med kit, two water bottles, snacks, knife, and a few other odds and ends.

When necessary my camera ends up stowed on a SpiderPro hip belt or more likely a SpiderLite backpack strap holster. The hip belt is easier for me to use but hanging it off a chest strap on the backpack keeps it out of the way better even it's a little more awkward for me to stow and release. I'll eventually get better at it.

Anyway I can't say enough good stuff about that Osprey pack, plenty large enough for any day-trips and probably stows fine if flying commercial too tho I've not used it for that.

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-23-2017 at 01:25 PM.
07-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Anyway I can't say enough good stuff about that Osprey pack, plenty large enough for any day-trips and probably stows fine if flying commercial too tho I've not used it for that.
Yes, I checked their backpacks, the fabric looks very good, and the design is awesome. It may be very good for the bike rider/photographer, but I'm looking for more like between urban/walking style. I may end up with more than one backpack, and definitely keep Osprey brand in mind, thank you.

I returned ThinkTank StreetWalker recently. It's nice backpack, and it holds everything I need for fully load, it feels comfortable on my back, but the mesh fabric on straps scratches my skin badly. After 5 minutes of walking with fully loaded backpack inside the house, my skin could not handle it any more, although I was wearing t-shirt. I brought it to the camera club meeting so other guys could tell their opinion. Men did not find the mesh scratchy at all. It must be my sensitive skin.
07-23-2017, 01:50 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
I have tried out a few back packs for my camera gear, and settled on the lightweight Kata 3N1 series - the 25 and the 35. For me the best features are the ability to access everything in the main compartments without having to remove the backpack, the ability of the backpack to be a conventional two strap back pack, or for it to be a one sided sling bag (either side) or as a crossover strap backpack. There's also a waist strap. Plenty of space for all my needs in the larger bag, but sometimes I like to travel light with the smaller bag. The dividers are versatile as with most bags, laptop slot is provided plus plenty of other pockets and a separate top compartment. Fantastic backpacks.

Since then, the brand has been taken over by Manfrotto, and the two backpacks are known as the Pro Light camera backpack 3N1-26 and 36

Couple of video ads here explain their versatility:
First the original 25 and 35 which I have

Next the latest versions which I don't have

I bought the 25 but before buying the 35 I did try out a Chinese imitation. It was a false economy, poorly made and with cheap material so I binned it and bought the real McCoy. Very happy with these two bags.

It might also be worth looking at Peak Design's equivalent backpacks, similar concept, but although I have their messenger and sling bags, I will be sticking with the Kata/Manfrotto back packs, they're that good.

In any event, I recommend the larger; you'll need the extra space for whatever comes next in life!
07-23-2017, 02:13 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ronniemac Quote
I have tried out a few back packs for my camera gear, and settled on the lightweight Kata 3N1 series - the 25 and the 35. For me the best features are the ability to access everything in the main compartments without having to remove the backpack, the ability of the backpack to be a conventional two strap back pack, or for it to be a one sided sling bag (either side) or as a crossover strap backpack. There's also a waist strap. Plenty of space for all my needs in the larger bag, but sometimes I like to travel light with the smaller bag. The dividers are versatile as with most bags, laptop slot is provided plus plenty of other pockets and a separate top compartment. Fantastic backpacks.

Since then, the brand has been taken over by Manfrotto, and the two backpacks are known as the Pro Light camera backpack 3N1-26 and 36

Couple of video ads here explain their versatility:
First the original 25 and 35 which I have
Manfrotto Pro Light Bags Backpack MB PL 3N1 35 - YouTube

Next the latest versions which I don't have
Manfrotto Pro Light Collection: Pro Light 3N1 Backpacks - YouTube

I bought the 25 but before buying the 35 I did try out a Chinese imitation. It was a false economy, poorly made and with cheap material so I binned it and bought the real McCoy. Very happy with these two bags.

It might also be worth looking at Peak Design's equivalent backpacks, similar concept, but although I have their messenger and sling bags, I will be sticking with the Kata/Manfrotto back packs, they're that good.

In any event, I recommend the larger; you'll need the extra space for whatever comes next in life!
Yes those get really good reviews. In fact I think PF did a write up on them recently, coming to the same conclusion. If I was looking for a pure camera bag I'd consider one of them.

EDIT: So thje Pentax Forums review was a different Manfrotto backpack, but perhaps even better for the OP
https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/hands-on-reviews/review-off-road-hiker...manfrotto.html

07-23-2017, 02:53 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Gatorguy,
I checked all the backpacks from Osprey. Outside they look exactly what I'd like to have. There is bike store nearby which may have them. I can end up modifying one of Ospreys into dedicated camera backpack.
Like I did with Baggallini shoulder bag, making camera insert for it. So far I did not find better purse that does not look like a camera bag, but it is.
07-23-2017, 03:22 PM   #24
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Hey Lana, I must defer to your experience when it comes to the suitability of a sling bag for women. The OP being a bloke meant I didn't consider that when making my suggestions. Personally the straight sling bag I think would potentially rotate whilst on a bike, hence I pointed at ones with waist straps and a backpack that can also be used as a sling. I don't think the OP was interested in any of them anyway.

I hear your pain on finding the right backpack, I used to carry a backpack in a previous job and the issued ones all worked fine for taller people but less so with me. I ended up buying my own to save my back as the load size was also large for me. With a backpack it really is a case of continue the search and hopefully try before you buy as I'm sure something out there will meet your requirements as there's so many options. I have a Loewe Flipside, it's small and quite comfy. The rear access is slow, but if having a secure load is a priority it's a good choice. My main bag now is a Tamrac that's no longer made. It has more padding on the back than the Loewe, has a computer pocket, a top pocket for 'stuff', and rear and side camera compartment access. It carries a lot of gear but like many camera bags they're about carrying the gear, not wearing all day travelling mountain trails.

Good luck to you and the OP with your bag searches.

Tas
07-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I hear your pain on finding the right backpack, I used to carry a backpack in a previous job and the issued ones all worked fine for taller people but less so with me. I ended up buying my own to save my back as the load size was also large for me. With a backpack it really is a case of continue the search and hopefully try before you buy as I'm sure something out there will meet your requirements as there's so many options. I have a Loewe Flipside, it's small and quite comfy.
Do you mean Lowepro Flipside? I just bought that one, Flipside 300, it's $72 plus free shipping at BH, compare to $80 plus an extra $9 shipping at Adorama.
Sorry, Adorama, not this time

And yes, you are right, there is no way to find a perfect fit without trying and trying.
07-23-2017, 08:01 PM   #26
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you mean Lowepro Flipside?
Ah yes, that's the one. My apologies, Loewe is a German TV manufacturer. I used to have one of their teles and mix up the names from time to time.

The Flipside was the first camera backpack I owned, I really liked it but ended up needing something larger. I still have mine and take it out when I want to go with a smaller kit or where there will be a lot of people. If you don't go crazy with a heavy load I think it's quite comfy. Hope it works out for you Lana.

Tas
07-24-2017, 05:17 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Congratulations!

I don't know if you've seen this:

Manfrotto Off Road Hiker 30L backpack Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I'm currently in the process of reviewing several camera backpacks, and can offer some hints.

The Manfrotto I reviewed above would be a very good choice, depending on the size of your lenses of course. I'd look into it. And with a baby you'll want to be able to carry some extra items. I would absolutely not go with a typical, grid camera backpack not meant to carry anything else.

I liked the Lowepro Photosport but its camera compartment is too small for your needs.

One model more expensive than the others but which I really, really like is the Mindshift Gear Horizon. It's a tad large maybe, but they do have smaller (and larger) models. It's so well designed it's not fair.

If strong support and ventilation is not paramount for you, Think Tank make the Perception Pro, which has an excellent storage system.

You could look at the Peak Design Everyday Backpack, although for sports it's probably not the best choice.

I was an advocate of finding a good "regular" backpack and then fitting an insert in it, but in recent years companies have started creating true sports backpacks.

I can help further if you have more questions.
07-24-2017, 05:24 AM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm sorry about my lack of replies to your priceless advices guys! I'm slowly reading all of them but dealing with overtime at work atm have barely time to sleep not mentioning forum browsing.

07-24-2017, 05:45 AM   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I also use a low pro flip side 400 and I like it a lot

However I wonder how familiar the OP is with riding with extra weight up high. He may want to consider how his center of gravity could be shifted by use of any loaded backpack

The key to me in choosing a backpack is how well the pack is designed: what straps does it have and does it allow adaptation

Chest strap

Waist strap

Padded straps

Other factors I look at -

Can the interior be " shifted " and how the items inside be secured

How much stuff ( weight ) will I carry

I do not carry stuff long distances but if I did, would I be able to and be comfortable doing so

Ease/speed of access

If I am buying " sight unseen " how easy is it to be returned if I don't like it
07-24-2017, 05:51 AM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
However I wonder how familiar the OP is with riding with extra weight up high. He may want to consider how his center of gravity could be shifted by use of any loaded

I've used to ride a lot on bike trips years ago so I know how it is to have heavy load on my back when sitting on bicycle. It's perfectly doable (obviously chest/waist straps are a must) and general ergonomy of backpack have to be good - but again as I've mentioned couple of posts before - having young one on the way we may stop those little bike trips very soon so I'm not gonna ride that much with the backpack - still gonna use it for all holidays/trips/commuting when camera must go with me. Much more comfortable than shoulder bags when you have to take much stuff with you...