Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2017, 07:31 AM - 3 Likes   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MrTiburon Quote
having young one on the way we may stop those little bike trips very soon so I'm not gonna ride that much with the backpack - still gonna use it for all holidays/trips/commuting when camera must go with me. Much more comfortable than shoulder bags when you have to take much stuff with you...
The good news- babies grow fast
Take a look at this, it was taken from the distance, but the baby seemed very comfortable with the ride

07-27-2017, 05:22 PM   #32
Forum Member

Original Poster
I spoke to my mate who is travelling a lot with his camera and had a chance to take a look at one of his backpacks. Really liked it (just enough space + a bit more for my needs) and found one for pretty decent price so I've just ordered it. K&F Concept (large size). Will update once I get it delivered.

Thanks for all advices
07-28-2017, 06:51 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

I spoke to my mate who is travelling a lot with his camera and had a chance to take a look at one of his backpacks. Really liked it (just enough space + a bit more for my needs) and found one for pretty decent price so I've just ordered it. K&F Concept (large size). Will update once I get it delivered.
K & F Concept Large Explorer Backpack - YouTube

Thanks for all advices
That bag certainly will hold a fair bit of camera gear. But FWIW it's nearly identical to my now retired photo-specific backpack. Why did I retire it? Not all that comfortable on a long day out with all the weight resting primarily on the shoulders. The waist strap will not shift much of the weight (and loaded in may be a LOT) to the hips where it's easier on your body. There's also very little in the way of adjustments for comfort, torso length and such. It's also very limited for carrying water, snacks, MISC. BABY GEAR etc. Just keep all that in mind. But yes it will hold a lot of lenses. The price seems fair enough for what it is.

Best of luck with both it and the wee one on the way.
07-28-2017, 07:05 AM   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote

I join in the sentiment and feel embarrassed that I failed to express the thought earlier

the babe and mom are the more important things

07-28-2017, 07:05 AM   #35
Forum Member

Original Poster
That bag certainly will hold a fair bit of camera gear. But FWIW it's nearly identical to my now retired photo-specific backpack. Why did I retire it? Not all that comfortable on a long day out with all the weight resting primarily on the shoulders. The waist strap will not shift much of the weight (and loaded in may be a LOT) to the hips where it's easier on your body. There's also very little in the way of adjustments for comfort, torso length and such. It's also very limited for carrying water, snacks, MISC. BABY GEAR etc. Just keep all that in mind. But yes it will hold a lot of lenses. The price seems fair enough for what it is.

Thanks for wishes

Sounds like I'll have to clean dust off my sewing machine and make couple of alteration to the backpack when it comes to make it more complicated

---------- Post added 07-28-17 at 07:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote

I join in the sentiment and feel embarrassed that I failed to express the thought earlier

the babe and mom are the more important things
Thanks a lot! It's first one - we're really scared...and happy!
07-28-2017, 07:14 AM   #36
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for wishes

Sounds like I'll have to clean dust off my sewing machine and make couple of alteration to the backpack when it comes to make it more complicated

---------- Post added 07-28-17 at 07:08 AM ----------

Thanks a lot! It's first one - we're really scared...and happy!
well we only had one ourselves

and he gets married tomorrow at 4

remember if you only have one, the kid will grown up being spoiled - s/he will get all the attention even if you have pets like we did

BUT there is a difference between being raised spoiled and being raised spoiled rotten

teach him/her the meaning of the word - " no " and that you mean it when you use it.

07-28-2017, 07:17 AM   #37
Forum Member

Original Poster
well we only had one ourselves

and he gets married tomorrow at 4

remember if you only have one, the kid will grown up being spoiled - s/he will get all the attention even if you have pets like we did

BUT there is a difference between being raised spoiled and being raised spoiled rotten

teach him/her the meaning of the word - " no " and that you mean it when you use it.

Fortunately I was taking care of my brother and sister when they were wee babies and later. I'm not scared about being parent but about changes which are coming into our life. Good changes
We're really happy

Congratulations for your son!

07-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #38
Veteran Member

found one for pretty decent price so I've just ordered it. K&F Concept (large size). Will update once I get it delivered.
Hope it will work for you. Review would be really helpful.
And I'm returning Lowepro Flipside 300 today. Again. For the price of returns I would buy a backpack already
It's the nice bag, and I like the fact that the main access is from the back, but zippers are not moving freely on curves. But the main reason again- it's not comfortable for long walking on my back.

I found one store nearby which has pretty interesting selection of Osprey backpacks, spoke with the guy there, he recommended to bring my gear at the store, and try which bag feels comfortable.
Will keep you updated, if I find my dream backpack. I hope so.
07-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #39
Forum Member

Original Poster
Camera backpack/rucksack advice needed.

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Hope it will work for you. Review would be really helpful.
And I'm returning Lowepro Flipside 300 today. Again. For the price of returns I would buy a backpack already
It's the nice bag, and I like the fact that the main access is from the back, but zippers are not moving freely on curves. But the main reason again- it's not comfortable for long walking on my back.

I found one store nearby which has pretty interesting selection of Osprey backpacks, spoke with the guy there, he recommended to bring my gear at the store, and try which bag feels comfortable.
Will keep you updated, if I find my dream backpack. I hope so.

Saw couple of Osprey ones. Really curious how comfortable they are. I'll be happy to hear how you liked them once you get to that store

When my backpack arrives I'll make couple of photos and quick review of it. May be helpful for somebody in the future
07-28-2017, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

Saw couple of Osprey ones. Really curious how comfortable they are. I'll be happy that hear how you liked them once you get to that store

When my backpack arrives I'll make couple of photos and quick review of it. May be helpful for somebody in the future
Deal I will take pictures there for the models I may find adaptable for the photo backpack.
07-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

Saw couple of Osprey ones. Really curious how comfortable they are. I'll be happy to hear how you liked them once you get to that store
VERY comfortable. That's what I carry my camera gear in and one reason (of a few!) why I don't carry it in a backpack made just for photo equipment anymore.
07-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #42
Forum Member

Original Poster
VERY comfortable. That's what I carry my camera gear in and one reason (of a few!) why I don't carry it in a backpack made just for photo equipment anymore.

Did you alter it in any way or just using it as it is?
One I've ordered I'm really happy to check, review and use but I also have really nice and comfortable old victorinox backpack which I may alter a bit to use for camera purposes...if I get some ideas...

07-28-2017, 12:43 PM   #43
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

here is a photo of my lowepro flip side 400

note that there is room for more

Flipside 400 AW - Black | Lowepro

note I paid no where near what this site says is the price
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-28-2017, 01:27 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you alter it in any way or just using it as it is?
One I've ordered I'm really happy to check, review and use but I also have really nice and comfortable old victorinox backpack which I may alter a bit to use for camera purposes...if I get some ideas...
As is. No mods needed.

I pack a small med pack, spare socks, t-shirt and rain jacket in the bottom of the main compartment with a LowePro Rezo 180 on top of those items. That case is big enough to hold a *200, *50-135, DFA 100 and a *15 along with cleaning supplies, spare batteries and cards and still fit snugly in the backpack. If I want to I can put my camera on top of that, but I've only done for carry convenience to the truck. Otherwise it's either on a belt or backpack mounted Spider holster if not in hand. I suppose if I really thought I'd need even more lenses with me I could simply put them in the pack separately too, wrapped in that t-shirt or in their original softcases. The pack itself is pretty padded but no sense taking unnecessary chances.

So anyway if I need a different lens it's quick and simple to pull the entire Lowpro case out, leaving the other stuff undisturbed underneath. But there's still space for other gear I would like to have with me for a day out: Bugspray, couple of water bottles (the pack has a dedicated water bladder pocket but I prefer bottles) snacks, small tool pack, phone storage for even a large smartphone in the side waist-belt pads, small knife, compass (which it seems NO ONE uses anymore ), a small reflector, flashhead, Better Beamer, monopod, hiking stick, and a few other items that might be useful depending on where I'm going and how long I'll be out. If I think I'll need even more water I just hang a 20 oz silicone water bottle on the pack. When it's empty roll it up and throw it in the pack to use on the next trip out. Takes almost no space.

IMHO a compact backpack is so much more adaptable to different uses and situations and FAR more comfortable than any of the slings or dedicated camera backpacks I've used.

---------- Post added 07-28-17 at 04:34 PM ----------

here is a photo of my lowepro flip side 400

note that there is room for more

Flipside 400 AW - Black | Lowepro

note I paid no where near what this site says is the price
I'd have to look when I get to the house but I'm pretty sure it's the Flipside that I recently retired in favor of the backpack.

Side question: How many times have you forgotten to zip the case closed before picking it up to sling on your back.

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-28-2017 at 02:24 PM.
07-28-2017, 01:49 PM   #45
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

---------- Post added 07-28-17 at 04:34 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
I'd have to look when I get to the house but I'm pretty sure it's the Flipside that I recently retired in favor of the backpack.

Side question: How many times have you forgotten to zip the case closed before picking it up to sling on your back.
never

[ knocking on wood ]

yet

I needed a larger back pack because I was flying to Yellowstone and I had acquired the DFA 150 - 450 mm the smaller back pack I took to Africa wasn't big enough to hold all the equipment I was going to be carrying onto the plane