Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2017, 03:32 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
IMHO a compact backpack is so much more adaptable to different uses and situations and FAR more comfortable than any of the slings or dedicated camera backpacks I've used
Just like regular purses are much better than camera shoulder bags, and they cost a portion of that "fashion camera bags"

07-28-2017, 04:30 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Just like regular purses are much better than camera shoulder bags, and they cost a portion of that "fashion camera bags"
Can't say I can speak from personal experience so I'll take your word for it

---------- Post added 07-28-17 at 07:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
never

[ knocking on wood ]

yet
I can't make the same claim, doing so two times on the same morning! But TBH otherwise I caught my mistake "just in time" on a few different of occasions. Bu I'm probably older than you so I have an excuse, right?
07-29-2017, 02:37 PM   #48
Pentaxian

I bought Osprey Daylight today, it's smaller than Osprey Daylight Plus, but I decided that small will be enough for not dedicated camera backpack. I choose very light grey, "floridian" color.
I also found that Osprey Talon feels comfortable, but the store had only M/L size, too big for me. Talon is actually the first backpack which belt strap (with pockets) feels just right on my body.

I loooove the quality and fabric, and how it looks and feels on my back. Project is coming: I plan to buy neoprene fabric, and attach it inside, then figure out how to design the insert which will fit K-1 with DA*300, flash, extra one or two lenses for the day out.

If only Osprey could make simple, classic (like Canon) backpack in that fabric and with that quality, that would be my dream one. I wonder would Osprey make dedicated camera backpack if it would be enough photographers to pledge buying it

Last edited by micromacro; 07-29-2017 at 05:40 PM.
07-31-2017, 01:14 PM   #49
Forum Member

Original Poster
Deal I will take pictures there for the models I may find adaptable for the photo backpack.
So I've received a backpack today. Didn't have much time to test it but made couple of photos and quick notes you can check here Camera Bag Reviews - Page 8 - PentaxForums.com

08-01-2017, 05:57 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Deal I will take pictures there for the models I may find adaptable for the photo backpack.
If you get a backpack with a bottom compartment, putting an insert there works well, I've done that for a few years. The Ape Case Cubeze seem to have the right size for most of these 25-28 liters backpacks.

However, since I've begun testing dedicated camera backpacks, I've found that they have come a long way in recent years. I prefer the Mindshift Gear Horizon for quick access (with the rotation feature) and the Manfrotto Off Road Hiker for the mesh back and relatively easy access. A blend of both would be magical.
08-02-2017, 10:47 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I prefer the Mindshift Gear Horizon for quick access (with the rotation feature) and the Manfrotto Off Road Hiker for the mesh back and relatively easy access. A blend of both would be magical.
Yes, I saw those two. They seem to be comfortable, but too "sporty" for urban/park walking.

My Daylight Osprey, however, now is a bit small since I'm adding the insert. Hopefully will finish today. Not a big fan of molding the custom shape insert, it's a pain. I should buy Daylight plus, or use thinner foam for the insert. Too late to re-do.
And like MindShift and Off Road, it will have top access to the gear, but I would prefer classic style, simple, sturdy camera backpack, but not with cheap outdated fabric and hardware.
Nothing is perfect
08-02-2017, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

Finally I finished the insert for Osprey Daylight.
Here are the pictures with a bit explanation. In case someone wants to repeat that pain

I decided to stitch by hands partly because I was lazy to take out my sewing machine I've not used for a couple of years, and partly because I could use the machine for only covering the foam.
Molding the shape with polyethylene packing foam was the most time consuming part to make the insert fitting perfectly, and leave the room for the fabric as well.

Then it was time to do the "upholstery" of every single piece of foam. I bought the yard of Veltex loop fabric, it's velcro, so I can put dividers wherever I need. I don't not need to make divides, have plenty of them from the collection of bags for now.

The backpack inner pocket fits my Dell XPS 13" laptop. Not like I'm going to take it outside all the time, but it's good to know that I can. The laptop size is 8x12 inches. There is also a water pocket on the back, good for the wallet to carry close to the back. It's also small front pocket, for batteries, cellphone, memory card.

The final look, holds K-1 with DA*300, still place either for 2 or even 3 primes, or flash. It may fit two cameras with primes, and probably the flash (need to try it ). Sirui small travel tripod fits perfectly in the side pocket, secured with the strap.

So far I like this as a replacement for camera slings and bags. It's light, small, breezy, and not black!

08-03-2017, 05:23 AM   #53
Pentaxian

They seem to be comfortable, but too "sporty" for urban/park walking.
That's a bad thing?

If you want a purely urban look, maybe consider the Peak Design Everyday Backpack? Doesn't get more urban than that.Or maybe the Think Tank Perception Pro, that one's a bit different but very interesting and functional. The Manfrotto also comes in more subdued colors (like gray or blue).

For the record, I don't see your Osprey as less sporty than any other.

My Daylight Osprey, however, now is a bit small since I'm adding the insert.
So far I like this as a replacement for camera slings and bags. It's light, small, breezy, and not black!
For a number of years, I used a 28 liters McKinley Lynx backpack with an insert I purchased (Cubeze). It worked well because the backpack had a bottom compartment where the insert went, and a top compartment for everything else. The problems were that the insert had no "top" (or front, since it was on the side) padding, and that larger lenses couldn't fit very well (think 60-250).

Having two separate compartments is necessary for me since that way you can segregate photo gear from the rest and you don't have to remove everything before accessing what's at the bottom.
08-06-2017, 05:30 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
That's a bad thing?
For the record, I don't see your Osprey as less sporty than any other.
When I say 'sporty' I mean that the belt with pockets makes the whole impression like I'm going to hike in woods. I prefer more neutral look, not screaming it's a camera bag, and not making me looking like I just went back from the mountain )))
Plus, all those models with big belt I've tried go too low for the belt to be comfortable. I don't want to take a chance and add more to the cost of returns, kind of tired of losing money that way.