Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2017, 05:47 AM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
As has been written previously, the hood should always be on when the camera is out for use and, as it extends way beyond the lens and the filter threads, it will help to protect both (even without the lens cap!).
can help

and the " discussion " goes on

08-26-2017, 11:46 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I guess you could also unscrew and remove the filter every time you took a shot but that'd be tedious.
Why in the world would I do that? My reason for using a filter is to protect the lens and thread ends when I am actively shooting and it can simply stay on all of the time as extra protection when the camera/lens is being carried but not in use. Yes, I keep the lens cap on when not using the lens and I do use the hood in conditions where the hood is useful, like bright sunlight. If clear or UV filters did not serve a purpose then camera stores would not be selling them. We have options, you do what works for you and I do what works best for me. When I am carrying my camera around in very crowded conditions like midtown New York City, which I frequently do, I would rather have some protection like a filter than a lens hood which would be more easily bumped.
08-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Why in the world would I do that? .
Taking the filter off whenever you shoot?

Because Roger Cicala has pointed out you're gonna need IIRC $100 UV filters for each of your lenses otherwise image quality's affected, JD.

Whatever you hope a filter might do protection wise, a $5 lens cap does better.

08-26-2017, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If clear or UV filters did not serve a purpose then camera stores would not be selling them.
Does making the camera store money count as a purpose?

I've had the DFA100mm for about 8 years now, filters go on and off when I need them. No problems with the threads so far. I do take an air blower to the threads before screwing in a filter if I've been using the lens in a dirty locale or during my usual cleaning routine.

08-26-2017, 02:13 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

.....In my case, I have three lenses where I would be concerned about surviving a bump or a cross threaded filter; DFA 100 Macro WR, HD DA 16-85 and DA 55-300 PLM. The lenses all seem very well built but I worry about the plastic filter threads. Is it a good Idea to put on something like a ultra clear filter which I would presume would not only protect the lens and the filter threads but also provide a durable metal threaded option for adding and removing filters such as a circular polarizing filter which I would not be using all of the time.....larger heavier polycarbonate lenses are my concern.
Any thoughts appreciated
I'll try once more:
Best practice is that the hood should always be on the lens when the camera is out for use and, as it extends well beyond the lens and the filter threads, it will help to protect both. A clear filter is not really necessary and reflections from an extra layer of glass can affect image quality, and particularly when a hood is not being used.
For more protection of the plastic filter threads, I use any cheap filter of appropriate size from the 'Bay with the glass removed; I attach that fairly firmly and attach any additional filter gently to that - adding only one extra layer of glass instead of two, there will fewer surface-to-surface reflections to degrade the image.