Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yet another tripod thread... re: K1, keep Bogen 3221 vs/ new carbon

I have been looking a while and still haven't found something that says "buy me" just yet.

Ok, I know there are a lot of tripod threads, but every person has different needs and concerns. I did use the search function here first, and read what I could find... So, here are my concerns.

I have had a Bogen 3221b w/ 3030 head for what seems like forever.(like what, almost 30 years?) It's a great indoor tripod. I don't know why the weight rating is so low (15lbs I think?), it has always seemed like a beast to me, and it weights over 6lbs!

For travel, I have a LowePro Slingshot 302 AW series bag, which can externally hold a small travel tripod. I'd like to have a tripod that fits with me so I am more likely to use it for focus stacking, pixel shift, macro's, and general use with my K1 and small to long lenses like the DA*300. (Not sure any travel tripod will actually allow my Tamron 400 f4...??)

Anyway some of my criteria are:
  • Short collapsed for Lowepro Slingshot 302 AW fit.
  • Flip lock legs preferred, not spin locks, but I am open to arm twisting if you think I am nuts on this, but it needs to be fast to setup and not slip.
  • Under 4lbs, the lighter the better, but not one that blows over in a light breeze.
  • Sturdy head that won't slip and cause whole thing to tip over. Bought as a combo preferred to save $, but open to separates if not too $$$
  • I currently use Bogen QR plates for my mono pod and 3030 head, but am willing to change.
  • Load capacity for K1 and at least DA*300 (no bat grip)
  • weight hook
  • Don't break piggy bank.

Is this asking too much?
Thanks in advance for all replies.
Eric

07-26-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure on length and your bag, but I've had a Sirui ET-1204 with the included E-10 head for over a year, and I am pretty pleased still. I use it chasing birds with my 150-450 and any time I need to be mobile and find it works well: Nice and light and well made. I've had no issues with the flip locks slipping, nor the head with the big lens mounted.

Sirui ET-1204 Carbon Fiber Tripod with E-10 Ball Head SUET1204
07-27-2017, 07:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Not sure on length and your bag, but I've had a Sirui ET-1204 with the included E-10 head for over a year, and I am pretty pleased still. I use it chasing birds with my 150-450 and any time I need to be mobile and find it works well: Nice and light and well made. I've had no issues with the flip locks slipping, nor the head with the big lens mounted.

Sirui ET-1204 Carbon Fiber Tripod with E-10 Ball Head SUET1204
Thanks for the post, that looks like a great option and ticks all the boxes. I was afraid most people would be beating me over the head with expensive Gitzo's, or something, heh.

I've seen some people in reviews say they thought the E-20 head slipped a little with heavy weight... are the model numbers not in order of size? Just curious where the E-10 falls in the lineup.

I know some walk around with their tripod over their shoulder like a rifle and expect the head to hold a camera and lens steady, but I think that is asking a bit much from a tiny travel tripod.

Thanks again,
Eric
07-27-2017, 10:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have two light-weight traveltripods that I use with the 150-450. One is the Sirui noted by Clickclick. It is a 4 leg section. I like it but do prefer my older Carbon Fiber 3 section Manfrotto something like the Manfrotto MT190CXPRO3 Carbon Fiber Tripod (mine's a previous model). It doesn't get as compact as the Sirui, but in my hands is more stable (even though the Sirui is rated for more weight). I have had the Manfrotto for 9 years, have traveled extensively with it and have only had to replace the rubber pads. I also use a Markins head which I really like and use it also on the Sirui legs. The Sirui head seems to be too small for me, but my buddy who has an even larger 150-600 Tamron + Canon seems to have no issues with the small head. I prefer 3 sections over 4, personal choice, for stability and quickness to setup. The Sirui as carry on can case some issues with security as it has with-drawable spiked feet, but I haven't had too much grief about it. But if you want to go compact it's hard to beat the Sirui.

So two options to consider.

07-27-2017, 01:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
I have two light-weight traveltripods that I use with the 150-450. One is the Sirui noted by Clickclick. It is a 4 leg section. I like it but do prefer my older Carbon Fiber 3 section Manfrotto something like the Manfrotto MT190CXPRO3 Carbon Fiber Tripod (mine's a previous model). It doesn't get as compact as the Sirui, but in my hands is more stable (even though the Sirui is rated for more weight). I have had the Manfrotto for 9 years, have traveled extensively with it and have only had to replace the rubber pads. I also use a Markins head which I really like and use it also on the Sirui legs. The Sirui head seems to be too small for me, but my buddy who has an even larger 150-600 Tamron + Canon seems to have no issues with the small head. I prefer 3 sections over 4, personal choice, for stability and quickness to setup. The Sirui as carry on can case some issues with security as it has with-drawable spiked feet, but I haven't had too much grief about it. But if you want to go compact it's hard to beat the Sirui.

That looks awesome! But... it's too big for the carry spot on the bag, really should be under 20" collapsed I think to stay put. A little heavy too, as the weight shown is without a head, and that would be getting over the upper end of my range with a decent head attached.

I don't think there is a way to get away from 4 sections because I need the compact size? I would imaging a compact 3 section would be pretty short. I'm 6'1"... I mean, yeah, the K-1 has a wonderful flippy screen, but I don't always want to burn battery, and I still haven't warmed up to the focus options in LV.

Thanks for posting,
Eric
07-27-2017, 01:53 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote

I've seen some people in reviews say they thought the E-20 head slipped a little with heavy weight... are the model numbers not in order of size? Just curious where the E-10 falls in the lineup.

Thanks again,
Eric
I've never had an issue with it slipping, and I don't feel like I've ever really had to crank it down either. A nice gentle snug has always been tight enough. I honestly don't know the Sirui line well enough to compare to the other, but I believe the E-10 head is rated for 40 pounds, so it really ought to be fine.

---------- Post added 07-27-17 at 05:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
The Sirui as carry on can case some issues with security as it has with-drawable spiked feet, but I haven't had too much grief about it. But if you want to go compact it's hard to beat the Sirui.

The Sirui I have doesn't have the spiked feet, but my recollection is almost all of them do. Check out the model descriptions carefully to see which is which if that's important.
07-27-2017, 02:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've never had an issue with it slipping, and I don't feel like I've ever really had to crank it down either. A nice gentle snug has always been tight enough. I honestly don't know the Sirui line well enough to compare to the other, but I believe the E-10 head is rated for 40 pounds, so it really ought to be fine.
Funny timing that you just posted that, meanwhile I was looking at Sirui website.

Here is what I found on the E series heads. Link below:

E Series ǀ Sirui

Basically it says the E10 series head is rated for 18lbs and the E20 is rated for 26lbs.

Don't worry, I take all those anonymous, unverified purchase, on line reviews with a grain of salt. You never know if it's a competitor, or a hack, or some guy chose the wrong product to review. Maybe he had weak fingers for tightening the head. LOL!

That is why I posted here, I trust you guys!

Thanks again,
Eric
07-27-2017, 06:40 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Funny timing that you just posted that, meanwhile I was looking at Sirui website.

Here is what I found on the E series heads. Link below:

E Series ǀ Sirui

Basically it says the E10 series head is rated for 18lbs and the E20 is rated for 26lbs.

Don't worry, I take all those anonymous, unverified purchase, on line reviews with a grain of salt. You never know if it's a competitor, or a hack, or some guy chose the wrong product to review. Maybe he had weak fingers for tightening the head. LOL!

That is why I posted here, I trust you guys!

Thanks again,
Eric
How interesting - I got the 40 lb spec out of B&H's "Overview" on the link I posted above (here again for ease: Sirui ET-1204 Carbon Fiber Tripod with E-10 Ball Head SUET1204)

"The E-10 ball head's locking mechanism can support up to 40 lb and is built to for smooth, vibration-free movement. A bubble-level is supplied for fast and accurate alignment."

I think though if it looks like it fits the T, go ahead and order from B&H, since if you got it and slipped/wiggled to much etc., you could send it back no problem.

Of note, I've got a Bogen 3046 with a 3063 head as my indoor tripod. Yes, it's a beast and behaves accordingly e.g. is great, but I don't long for it when I throw the Sirui over my shoulder and go off for a walk - comes with a strap setup so you can carry it easily without the bag - I like that too.

07-27-2017, 07:54 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
How interesting - I got the 40 lb spec out of B&H's "Overview" on the link I posted above (here again for ease: Sirui ET-1204 Carbon Fiber Tripod with E-10 Ball Head SUET1204)

"The E-10 ball head's locking mechanism can support up to 40 lb and is built to for smooth, vibration-free movement. A bubble-level is supplied for fast and accurate alignment."

I think though if it looks like it fits the T, go ahead and order from B&H, since if you got it and slipped/wiggled to much etc., you could send it back no problem.

Of note, I've got a Bogen 3046 with a 3063 head as my indoor tripod. Yes, it's a beast and behaves accordingly e.g. is great, but I don't long for it when I throw the Sirui over my shoulder and go off for a walk - comes with a strap setup so you can carry it easily without the bag - I like that too.
No worries. I just looked at your B&H link and decided to use their search tool with my criteria, Flip locks, Carbon, Under 4lbs, etc.
The top of the "best sellers" list was this, and it's only $30 more...

Sirui ET-2204 Carbon Fiber Tripod with E-20 Ball Head SUET2204

This is the next up Sirui from yours, with the E20 head. It's only 1/2" longer collapsed, and only 8 ounces more, but is 2" taller not including the center column, which I'd like to avoid extending too much since they all start to get wobbly extended.

Also would give me a little more support on the occasions I do drag out the Tamron SP 400mm F4 (this lens alone with hood etc is almost 6lbs!) I those occasions I usually just take that lens, period, and maybe a tiny wide prime.

My LowePro Slingshot 302AW typically loads out on my scale between 11-13lbs including a water bottle and power bar when I go for a hike, so an additional 3lbs of tripod means I'm getting to the top end of what I want to carry, depending on the length of the hike. I'm a pretty big, fit guy, but I'm not as young as I used to be, if you know what I mean.

Lately I find myself choosing less lenses, but more extreme ranges to take, and this significantly lightens the bag and should allow for the weight of the tripod.

At any rate, I still need a good tripod for these lenses with the K1, especially for any multi shot or timed photos, or long tele work. I've been lazy about carrying a tripod lately because of the weight, and I want to prioritize a tripod over carrying extra lenses I won't need/use for a given hike. Sounds good on paper anyways.

These 2 Sirui options seem like the top contenders at the moment. The only others I've seen close to spec are the Manfroto BeFree's, but they seem down on weight ratings. Are those ultra conservative ratings? Or are the Sirui that much better? Any other thoughts appreciated. Thanks again!

Eric
07-27-2017, 08:30 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd be real tempted to go the next step up. I agree on your assessment regarding things like height, the extra margin of load etc., an if the 1/2 pound is of no difference, I'd go for the beef. Also, I think it gets you the retractable spike feet, which can me nice to have.