Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2017, 06:45 AM   #1
Forum Member

Looking for good Polarizing Filters

Hi All,

I'm about to embark on a trip to the mountains & wanted to get a pair of Polarizing Filters for my DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited & DA* 200mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM so that I can take some nice shots in the snow. Any reasonably priced options?

Thanks,
Ducky

07-29-2017, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recommend Hoya filters, they offer good performance at a reasonable price:

Hoya 67mm alpha Circular Polarizer Filter C-ALP67CRPL B&H Photo

To minimize vignetting a thinner one might be better for the 15mm:

Hoya 49mm NXT Circular Polarizer Filter A-NXT49CRPL B&H Photo

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-29-2017, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another nice filter to look at is from B+W. For less light loss, check out their Kaesemann High Transmission filters, and the XS-Pro series has a very slim profile good for wide angles - also would go for MRC nano coatings:

B+W 49mm XS-Pro Kaesemann High Transmission Circular 66-1081470

B+W 67mm XS-Pro Kaesemann High Transmission Circular 66-1081476
07-29-2017, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #4
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A suggestion: snow scenes often benefit from reflected light (contre-jour), as do water scenes. As otherwise the snow/water has a dead look to it. So don't automatically use the PL for it.

Also a very wide angle FOV will have the sky showing varying intensity of blue. On balance you may be best not using the PL.

07-29-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all
07-29-2017, 11:46 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Breakthrough Filters ? Breakthrough Photography
07-29-2017, 02:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO German filters are the best quality, e.g. B+W, Schneider, Rodenstock etc.

Chris

07-29-2017, 03:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The well-written Polish site LensTip evaluated and ranked circular polarizing filters in 2009. I ended up purchasing the top-ranked Marumi DHG Super Circular P.L.D and have been super pleased. I purchase the size that accommodates my largest lens (82mm) and then just hold the thing over my other lenses and rotate to taste. Over the past three years I've had disappointing quality control issues with B+W filters I've purchased. I think they are relying upon past reputation.

M
07-30-2017, 05:15 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I put a cheap $20 dollar Polarizer filter on one of my limited lenses and the color Pop and micro contrast were suddenly gone.
08-01-2017, 07:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
I have their polarizer. The glass is fantastic. However, the usage is a colossal pain in the rear end.

The problem is that the part of the filter that attaches to the lens threading is slightly recessed. Its really hard to get a good grip. Getting the filter on securely is iffy. If you do manage to get it on securely, getting it off is equally frustrating.
08-03-2017, 11:28 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Brand quality can ebb and flow over time. My semi recent (last 3 years) filter purchases:

Tried B+W CPL. Poor mechanical quality. One needed far too much force to rotate, one was very loose with a spot that binded. Never tried the optics because the mechanics were bad enough to require 2 returns.

Hoya CPL. I am satisfied. I got one of their midpriced ones with multicoating. Good quality, no optical problems.

Bower variable ND. Okay but I use it much less than I expected. CPL and an older 10 stop ND meet my filter needs.
08-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Another nice filter to look at is from B+W. For less light loss, check out their Kaesemann High Transmission filters, and the XS-Pro series has a very slim profile good for wide angles - also would go for MRC nano coatings:

B+W 49mm XS-Pro Kaesemann High Transmission Circular 66-1081470

B+W 67mm XS-Pro Kaesemann High Transmission Circular 66-1081476
I vote for the Kaesemann's also but they seem to need slightly more care in fine tuning the polarization compared to their F-pro. I like the brass construction, does not bind like aluminum. The XPro's are thin and a little harder to rotate the front element but that is probably true of any low profile.

Never had problems with a B+W causing too stiff turning or sticking in one spot. It is best to buy them from genuine authorized dealers like the two NYC mail order companies. Would not be surprised if there are fake ones on FleaBay.