Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2008, 07:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax BG3 - K200D Battery Grip

If any K200D owners are considering this, I highly recommend it. The grip combined with the additional 4 AA batteries does add some weight, but the weight really helps to stabilize the camera. Now, an already solid feeling camera feels even more solid.

You have the option of choosing which batteries the camera uses first. I chose the grip batteries since they are more easily accessible. Fit and contruction on this piece are outstanding. I've used it for exactly 2 days now and don't know how I got by without it. It makes that much of a difference in the feel of the camera in my hands.

For $105 shipped from Buydig.com, this is easily my best purchase this year.....outside of the body itself.

A few images:

Last edited by maxwell1295; 08-19-2008 at 04:29 AM.
08-18-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I leave my battery selection on "auto" and just load up the grip, if i know i'll be shooting with more user features i'll load up the body for insurance as seen from that other thread on how long your battery lasts...well i'm still on the included4 LOL
08-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
both sets of batteries are easily accessible without having to remove the grip.
Did I miss something? I have the grip for the K200D as well, and if I want to access/remove/recharge the batteries in the body I have to remove the grip first.
(incidentally, I always choose "grip first" - and I use 4 hybrid NiMH in both the grip and the body - but I recharge the grip ones when they run out and then only once in a while do I have to recharge the batteries in the body.
08-18-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
Did I miss something? I have the grip for the K200D as well, and if I want to access/remove/recharge the batteries in the body I have to remove the grip first.
(incidentally, I always choose "grip first" - and I use 4 hybrid NiMH in both the grip and the body - but I recharge the grip ones when they run out and then only once in a while do I have to recharge the batteries in the body.
Wouldn't it better if you have regular Alkaline/Lithium battery in the body and use rechargables in the grip? Then you have only to take care of the rechargables in the grip. The body battery can be emergency purpose...

08-19-2008, 04:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
That was a mistake. It's the memory card door I was thinking of, for some strange reason. Probably because Im an idiot!

You do have to remove the grip to change the batteries in the body...
08-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cucme Quote
Wouldn't it better if you have regular Alkaline/Lithium battery in the body and use rechargables in the grip? Then you have only to take care of the rechargables in the grip. The body battery can be emergency purpose...
Not a bad idea at all.

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
That was a mistake. It's the memory card door I was thinking of, for some strange reason. Probably because Im an idiot!
You do have to remove the grip to change the batteries in the body...
Good - (I was just making sure I haven't missed something for the past 3 months and have been removing the grip for no reason!)
11-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Just a dumb question... Is the BG3 discontinued or is it a slow seller? I just purchased one on amazon for $59. I was afraid that I wouldn't find one when I wanted one, so I jumped on it - it seemed like a good deal. I've got a heavy lens that, when hanging around my neck, the whole setup points to the ground wanting to take pictures of my shoes... Will the grip help fix this -or- will it just make the camera feel more balanced?

Thanks-
Brian

11-23-2008, 05:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I just got mine yesterday and the thing is really amazing. It's like night and day. I'm beginning to wonder if the reason the camera body won't accept cr-3 batteries is because the grip can't accomidate them. Anyways, the balance of the camera is nice - the only complaint is the weight. With a flash and the grip it's getting a little heavy, but other than that - nice.

-Brian
11-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #9
Kei

Thanks to this thread I did a quick search on D-BG3's deal; gladly found one selling selling for $50 CDN (I am in Canada). Sweet.
11-29-2008, 05:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Is the bg-3 only for the k200? Would it be compatible with the k100d as well?

Nevermind. Just noticed the connector sticking out of he grip and realized that on the k100 there is no place for it to go. I hough he k100 and k200 had same body/chassis?

Last edited by dave sz; 11-29-2008 at 05:32 PM.
11-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Sounds like a great idea. Why haven't I thought of that before
03-25-2009, 01:59 AM   #12

D-BG3 in Europe

Sure looks like a sweet deal... in the US at least!

Found on Amazon.com : D-BG3 for $40.88

Found on Amazon.fr : D-BG3 for €100.64 (a whopping $135 !)

The european version must include platinum connection pin or something to justify 3 times the US price!!!

Go figure...
06-04-2009, 04:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Another bargain on the K200D's grip, seriously, $35... bargain:

Amazon.com: Pentax 39687 Battery Grip BG3 (for K200D): Camera & Photo

I've ordered one, and it's been delivered in perfect order to a friend in Boston where it's going to have to hang around until he gets a chance to get to the post office.

Worked out at R314-00 with the dollar being so weak at the moment. My local camera store wanted R1 200-00 for it. Even with the postage to get it here it's a bargain.
06-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #14

Hi all,

I have only recently purchased my first DSLR , a K200D and am very happy with it. I have also just added a BG3 battery grip.

The camera recognises the additional batteries and the shutter release on the grip will fire the shutter, however, the grip shutter doesn't seem to have a "half way" position and doesn't activate the light meter or auto focus. Is this normal?
06-06-2009, 10:37 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pip55 Quote
...however, the grip shutter doesn't seem to have a "half way" position and doesn't activate the light meter or auto focus. Is this normal?
No, half-pressing the D-BG3 should operate the auto-focus/light meter as it does for the main shutter button as long as it is turned on.