Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2017, 03:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Heat issue with Patona D-LI90 chargers

I used to have a bunch of these:

After 1-1½ year, the chargers had deformed over time due to heat, causing contact issues between charger and battery adapter.

Now I have a bunch of these:

About 9 months have passed and the first few are starting to show issues. The chargers them self's are fine but the battery adapter has a removable plate underneath, which is starting to bulge, causing it to increase the distance to the contacts on the charger = bad/no charge.

I tried unscrewing the plate and bend the plate it back in form. It lasted for 1-2 charges.

Does anyone have a lasting solution to this issue?

08-04-2017, 03:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I have several chargers of that basic form factor for different cameras and have never had a problem with any of them other than one that was ostensibly for a Panasonic Lumix camera but only put out something like 4.2 volts to charge a 7.5-volt battery. Needless to say, the battery never got charged and it wasn't the battery's fault. Darn Chinese just slapped a physically compatible carrier onto an electrically incompatible charger base and called it compatible. Oh well, you get what you pay for.
08-04-2017, 04:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
E-man: Interesting. Could it be a Patona thing - or perhaps a battery thing? I have to brands, the original ones and way more Hähnel batteries.

I never got the impression that the batteries get too hot.
08-04-2017, 04:12 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like a poorly made product to me, I'd be very careful as next think you know something happens to the battery itself, which could be dangerous. I'd recommend trying a different brand at the very least.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-04-2017, 06:31 PM   #5
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
Heat issue with Patona D-LI90 chargers

I have been using the Patona battery from several years (as backup), I have never had any problem, no overheating (and no explosion or deformation) I have the black charger for Pentax K-30 and K3II and also for the Canon 6D. The thing I can advise you, of course, because I was informed, "you can upload the Patona with the original charger", that is Pentax or Canon in my case, and also believe with all the other brands.
08-05-2017, 04:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I would simply stay safe and use only the Pentax charger and batteries. I never had issues with the Pentax batteries and chargers getting hot even when I've left them plugged in overnight. Lithium Ion batteries can have some very serious issues. Stay with a safe and proven design.
08-05-2017, 07:41 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The pictured loaders are worldwide offered under many different brands, and presumably all come from the same Chinese factory. It somehow troubles me that also Patona is selling these. Patona is a German company which mainly develops and designs reloadable Lithium batteries (production probably is also in China), and their reputation for these is not bad in my country.

I still own the simpler one of the pictured loaders, labeled "vhbw" (it came with a Lumix), and I don't use it any more for overheating problems. The original Panasonic devices do provide the third (middle) contact, on which really compatible batteries signal heat problems. Loaders with a no-cheat third contact will make a break till the signal is ok again (without showing the user). With such loaders, increased recharge time may be a first sign, that the battery starts developing problems. This should be monitored, to prevent your house getting burned down. There is no way stopping burning Lithium batteries, also a knowing fire brigade can only cool it down to prevent spreading the fire (till the chemical process stops by itself, some time later).
08-05-2017, 09:54 AM   #8
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Patona batteries are good for their cost (on averaging five for each camera), you would not, tamper with or try to open the charger but return it to the first symptom,
(there are six Months of warranty on these products), as long as it is intact. And also connect them to a certified power outlet.
Certainly last a little less because of their amperage, but I use them from years without problems, so far.

08-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Meh, I wrote to Patona a couple of weeks ago but haven't had any reply yet. I've been paying extra attention to battery performance and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. The Hähnel batteries can give me around 750-800 shots and I'm satisfied with that. Not sure that the OEM give. I'll try and take notice tomorrow, when I'll be out shooting all day.
09-08-2017, 05:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Patona sent me new plates which I should receive one of these days

Older chargers, notice the shape of especially the bottom charger and the increased gap between the charger and the plate.

The new charger doesn't appear to have this issue, but the plate is affected and wont charge at all now.

Plate from the new charger.
09-09-2017, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Wow, if I saw that level of distortion caused by heat I would stop using that charger.

Just stick to the original Pentax charger or by an extra one if you need to charge more than one battery at the same time.
09-09-2017, 07:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
Wow, if I saw that level of distortion caused by heat I would stop using that charger.

Just stick to the original Pentax charger or by an extra one if you need to charge more than one battery at the same time.
At first I thought it might be battery issues but after a while, I started noticing a pattern with the chargers and had a closer look. Bought the new ones, and haven't used the old ones since.

Patona didn't have much to say other than it's not normal and they sell lots.

For now I'll have more room between the charger, which hopefully will prevent heat buildup.
09-09-2017, 11:24 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

And maybe put them in a fireproof box in case they go up in flames