Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #1

Which tripod should I Buy?

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a travel tripod. Have you got any advices?
At present I have a Pentax Ks2 and I have just a Pentax 50mm and a 18-55mm but in future I would buy a fullframe.

Thanks!

08-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by trikosis Quote
At present I have a Pentax Ks2 and I have just a Pentax 50mm and a 18-55mm but in future I would buy a fullframe.

Thanks!
I quite like Feisol tripods. They are midrange priced, but very good quality. I have one of their 3 section traveler tripods that supports my K1 and lenses up to 400mm quite adequately, and one of their much heavier ones that has a gimbal head that I use with my 600mm.
08-07-2017, 12:45 PM   #3

I'd like to know too. I currently have a mefoto globetrotter travel tripod and that thing is a heavy beast. I really think a short tripod it the way to go because you can always find things to rest a short pod on when you're in nature. It just needs to be heavy duty enough to support a FF camera and lens.
08-07-2017, 01:10 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thread now moved to correct forum.
General Talk Sticky says no photographic talk.

08-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
By travel tripod I presume you mean one that's fairly light and collapses to a compact size. Even with that established there are a lot of choices depending on what you plan to use it for. I just picked up this one.

Benro Go Plus FGP18A 4-Section Aluminum Travel Tripod with Integrated Monopod FGP18A

It's 4 1/2 lbs with the head which is 2lbs lighter than the slightly bigger Manfrotto that came with my telescope and that I used as my full size tripod for a long time. I wanted one I could use for macro and this one has legs that will splay out and a centre column that swings to horizontal. The centre column can also be screwed into one of the legs to make a monopod. If you don't need that kind of flexibility you could go with something simpler and maybe cheaper. This one is not as rock solid as something that's lot heavier but then you would be getting out of the "travel" category. Of course you will need a head as well - the matching head I bought was more expensive than the tripod legs. I've only used it a few times but I'm pleased with it so far.

I'd like to see some hard edged test results of things like the effect of the 3 second delay on the remote, extending the centre column, or whether there's much difference between light and heavy tripods when there's no wind, but most of these things seem to be based on intuitive judgement as far as I can see.
08-07-2017, 01:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Manfrotto BeFree Compact Carbon Fiber Tripod. It's an affordable light weight carbon tripod and Italian like you.
08-07-2017, 02:03 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trikosis Quote

Thanks!
I'm going to recommend this article on picking a tripod, largely because I bought what he recommended and feel it was a good decision.

08-07-2017, 11:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Sirui is a good brand with lots of options.
08-08-2017, 12:04 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
I got the Sirui T-025x after reading this review Sirui T-025x Travel Tripod Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews Really like it after the purchase. Used it for a few month with my K5.
08-08-2017, 03:54 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might want to check out this recent thread - just posting a link instead of rehashing the same thing:

Yet another tripod thread... re: K1, keep Bogen 3221 vs/ new carbon - PentaxForums.com
08-08-2017, 04:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I reckon you should buy one with three legs,
08-08-2017, 04:12 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Alternatively you could also look at a Gorillapod slr zoom. By far the lightest and cheapest alternative. But dependent on the availability of stuff to attach it to. Really something you could use next to a more traditional Tripod.
08-08-2017, 04:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

+1 for the Sirui T-025x.A delightful travel tripod.

I have it but put an RC2 manfrotto compatible ball head on it to match my other gear.
08-08-2017, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

It may sound counter-intuitive, but get the heaviest tripod you can comfortably manage. A lot of lightweight tripods are just too light when a gust of wind blows it over and damages your camera. The problem is the camera makes the whole assembly top heavy and potentially unstable.
08-08-2017, 08:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I have a couple of old aluminum bogens that I used for my film cameras

since I went digital, I depend on SR or OS about 95% of the time, bean bags about 3% and tripods the remainder (usually for longer exposures)

my wife picked up a little dolica at xmas a couple of years ago
it fits in my seat bag or day pack
is quite light
it is very convenient but kind of unstable in windy conditions or when extended too far

I use my heavier tripods for my longest lenses or when I set up in a static position
more often than not they hold my optics

there are a lot of sub 100usd "travel" tripods that are adequate for casual use

before you buy anything try to use them in the field first (the way you would use them)...it really makes a difference