Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What brand of lighting?
Elinchrom 615.38%
Profoto   00%
Photoflex 12.56%
Norman 37.69%
Alien Bees/White Lightning 1128.21%
Lumedyne   00%
Bowens 512.82%
Other? Comment, please! 1333.33%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2008, 11:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Big I Quote
Hahaha! Why is artifical light for posers? It adds a whole new twist to lighting!

I am hoping you understood the pun.

09-14-2008, 01:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Another Bees user here. Have had them for a few years, and they have been reliable.
09-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I use the "mother nature" brand of lighting gear. Artificial light is for posers.
Pretty good, I must remember that one, but it sounds like subtlety is wasted here... (or else they just don't like puns )
09-17-2008, 02:46 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alien Bee is popular because it was ultra-cheap and was marketed to students. The huge drawback is/was the very dim modeling light (you want at least 250 watts of quartz light in a lamp head, not a 150 watt household bulb). AB's wimpy modeling light by itself explained why most professionals quickly graduated to bettter-designs. Also, AB's flash output info is deceptive..they say to ignore watt-seconds but you really should start your thinking with that number before you buy into AB's claims.

Norman is/was popular (especially in high volume studios) because it's incredibly rugged physically and built to more beefy electrical standards.

Take a look at Strobist for cheap/flexible/portable alternative approaches (eg with Vivitar 285V strobes).

09-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #20
Inactive Account

I had a set of JTL Strobes a while back. It was a no frills set of mono lights, but they worked great. The price was also nice. 250.00 for 2 strobes, stands, umbrellas, and a very nice carrying bag.
09-22-2008, 02:53 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I am hoping you understood the pun.
Oh! Hehe, I'm a little slower
09-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by janosh Quote
Alien Bee is popular because it was ultra-cheap and was marketed to students. The huge drawback is/was the very dim modeling light (you want at least 250 watts of quartz light in a lamp head, not a 150 watt household bulb). AB's wimpy modeling light by itself explained why most professionals quickly graduated to bettter-designs. Also, AB's flash output info is deceptive..they say to ignore watt-seconds but you really should start your thinking with that number before you buy into AB's claims.

Norman is/was popular (especially in high volume studios) because it's incredibly rugged physically and built to more beefy electrical standards.

Take a look at Strobist for cheap/flexible/portable alternative approaches (eg with Vivitar 285V strobes).
Mmmm, I've only heard good things about AB's, I'm glad to hear your opinion as well. And believe me, I've been a long time reader of strobist

Thanks for commenting, everybody!

09-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I have Portaflash as my own lighting kit (from Jessops), but I have used Bowens in a studio, what a system. Love it! Now if I can find the money to have my own Bowens gear