Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2017, 07:50 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Replacement Neck Strap (for lug attachment)?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

My original K5 strap has failed so I'm looking for a replacement. My tripod plate won't allow using an eye bolt, so I need to attach to the original lugs. Suggestions would be appreciated.

08-12-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the Domke "Gripper" strap (1 1/2" size with swivel), which I much prefer over the Pentax strap which came with my K-3.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/147003-REG/Domke_742_6NY_1_5_Web_Camera_Strap.html

Steve
08-12-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Peak Design's Slide is my favorite (I have two of them) - easy to attach/remove and easy to adjust...
08-12-2017, 10:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use a wide Opteka neoprene strap which provides a little give. The neoprene smell goes away after a couple days :-)

08-13-2017, 12:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bosstrap is comfortable, strong, light and easy to fold/compress and store in a bag. I use it with my K-1 and grip; and have used a second one with a gripped Canon 5D mk3 + Tamron 150-600mm lens on six mile hikes. Just requires one lug. Far better than any tripod-mounted strap, & I've had several highly acclaimed ones.

M
08-13-2017, 02:43 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have given up on neck straps entirely

I now use a cross body strap/sling system, of which there are many,

some attach to the base of the camera where the tri pod attachment point is, others attach to one or more of the attachment points on the top of the camera

the one I like and use is one OP/TECH USA | Comfortable neoprene camera straps and slings offers

specifically the Utility Sling - it attaches to one of the top attachment points, is easy to adjust as you want or need to and has a quick release system when you want to lose the sling/strap

Utility Sling - Neoprene Quick Release Camera Shoulder Strap | OP/TECH USA

I also use this from Joby.com

http://joby.com/camera-straps/ultrafit-hand-strap-with-ultraplate which attaches at the same upper attachment point and the base of the camera at the tripod attachment point - but it does allow me to still attach a tripod and slid the tripod attachment if necessary

[ only problem is that I must detach base plate to change battery in the body and it takes a " Allen " (hex) wrench to do so ]

to help when I have disconnected the strap or to lighten the load on the strap by gripping the camera as I walk - that d fa 150 - 450 mm zoom tends to get a little heavy at times

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-13-2017 at 05:51 AM.
08-13-2017, 05:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I use the Domke "Gripper" strap (1 1/2" size with swivel), which I much prefer over the Pentax strap which came with my K-3.

Domke 1.5" Web Camera Strap with Swivel Quick 7421NY B&H

Steve
I actually bought 2 Domke gripper straps one in the 1 inch size and one in the 1.5 inch size. With the swivels I can simply snap on the 1 inch size (same as original K-5 strap) for compact kit with small primes and snap on the 1.5 inch size for larger lenses without changing the part that attached to the camera eye bolts. They are inexpensive and high quality. They can attach directly to the eye bolt or to the triangular lugs on the camera body.

08-13-2017, 06:34 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to add my praise for the Optech straps. As others have said the neoprene neck pad is soft and a little stretchy. It has enough grip to just use over one shoulder if that becomes more comfortable. Another plus is that it is part of a system that allows additions that convert it easily to a one shoulder sling strap along the lines of Black Rapid, but attached to the strap lugs, not the tripod socket. Made in the USA, too.
08-13-2017, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I just use these these. They're dirt cheap, wider and far more comfortable than the originals, plus they have that funky retro look that takes me back to my early days of 35mm SLR shooting.
08-13-2017, 07:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Domke 1.5" Web Camera Strap with Swivel Quick 7421NY B&H

Steve
Agree!

I use a different color on each camera for easy identification. They can be adjusted for a short or very long length. I have mine very long and wear them cross body like a sling strap.

The swivels make it impossible to tangle or get twisted.
08-13-2017, 10:24 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies so far. It looks like everybody has found straps better than the OEM and that I should have replaced mine long ago.

It looks like the Optech and Domke are both pretty popular. The Optechs have so many similar-yet-different models that it seems difficult to choose between them, but it seems like people feel they're very comfortable. The swivel on the Domke would seem to be useful.

For those who haven't replaced the OEM strap yet, I might mention that eventually the strap will deteriorate and start marking your clothes with rubber-ish material that is very difficult to remove. That might happen with other straps too if they have some sort of anti-slip material.
08-14-2017, 05:19 AM   #12
smf
Pentaxian

I have been very pleased with straps (a harness of sorts) intended for use with either binoculars or a camera. They reduce or eliminate flopping of the camera or binoculars against me when I walk, and I have not experienced neck strain.
Mine are from Eagle Optics, but I think other sources also exist. Best wishes.
08-14-2017, 06:40 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
I have to add my praise for the Optech straps. As others have said the neoprene neck pad is soft and a little stretchy. It has enough grip to just use over one shoulder if that becomes more comfortable. Another plus is that it is part of a system that allows additions that convert it easily to a one shoulder sling strap along the lines of Black Rapid, but attached to the strap lugs, not the tripod socket. Made in the USA, too.
Same here, I really like Optech products! I have a Peak Design's Slide, and cannot use it. the "gripper" part's edge cuts into my neck, and is very uncomfortable. Also I folded it up to fit in my case, and the inside of the gripper part must be cardboard, as it permanently creased! Great product, but with these two complaints, not for me.

Optech's straps are extremely comfortable, even with heavy lenses. There are so many options for different attachments, replacement parts, etc., that there are unlimited possibilities for use. Also, they are made right here in Montana! Folks at Optech are very friendly & helpful, when you call them!
08-19-2017, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I decided to try an OpTech Super Classic and so far it seems like a good compromise in terms of size - larger than the OEM but not as large a pad as some other straps. I haven't used it for an hour-plus yet, at which point the OEM strap would become uncomfortable, but it seems likely to be an improvement in comfort.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Last edited by tibbitts; 08-19-2017 at 02:09 PM.
08-19-2017, 12:07 PM   #15
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Thanks for all the replies so far. It looks like everybody has found straps better than the OEM and that I should have replaced mine long ago.
I must be the odd one out.

I've tried a few different straps but have ended up using the original. Never as a neck strap, though. Either over a shoulder or, more often, wrapped three times around my wrist. The wrist wrap makes for a snug fit that supports the camera nicely. Not suited for heavy lenses, but I've walked for hours with a K-3 and DA55-300.