Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2017, 07:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Mefoto Roadtrip Replacement Clamp

I purchased a Mefoto Roadtrip Aluminum Tripod a couple of years ago. It's a pretty good tripod that I use a lot more frequently than my Manfrotto tripod. Recently, on a hiking trip, the knob that tightens the clamp fell off. I contacted Mefoto and I was told that the Benro QRC50 was my only option to fix it. It costs about 55 (plus tax and shipping). Is that really my only option? Has anyone else found any other solutions to problems like this?

My concern with purchasing the clamp is that for the price, I might be able to get something just as good (or better) for the same price or even cheaper. I was also debating whether it might just be a better option to bite the bullet and buy a better travel tripod (maybe something carbon fiber). I'm still in the debating stages so nothing is really set yet, but I would love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks!

Attached Images

08-16-2017, 08:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The replacement seems like a straightforward solution if Benro gives you no other alternative, though it as you said will cost you. If you are dissatisfied that it would cost you and want to get something else, I would recommend a Sirui ballhead.

Last edited by C_Jones; 08-16-2017 at 08:20 AM.
08-16-2017, 08:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
The replacement seems like a straightforward solution if Benro gives you no other alternative, though it as you said will cost you. If you are dissatisfied that it would cost you and want to get something else, I would recommend a Sirui ballhead.
Is there a particular one you would recommend for this type of tripod? Thanks!
08-16-2017, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't get it. Looks like any sort of cheap knob or nut with the right diameter do the job, like these.

08-16-2017, 08:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Benro offers a 3 year warranty on their product site, just in case you did not know and think it may be applicable to your situation.

I have a Sirui K-20X, which has a 55 lb. capacity and is excellent to handle. There is a K-10X which has a 44 lb. capacity that is similar and a little bit smaller. I would recommend those due to the style, build, and 6 year warranty. There are also smaller ballheads that they make. Below are shortcuts to the K-10X, K-20X, and an Amazon page with an assortment of Sirui ballheads.

amazon.com : Sirui K-10X 33mm Ballhead with Quick Release, 44.1 lbs Load Capacity : Tripod Camera Mounts : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

amazon.com : Sirui K-20X 38mm Ballhead with Quick Release, 55.1 lbs Load Capacity : Tripod Camera Mounts : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?tag=pentaxforums-20&url=search-alias...Sirui+ballhead
08-16-2017, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Mefoto Roadtrip Replacement Clamp
If the existing clamp attaches with a bolt (appears to), a replacement clamp may be your best option. I use a 50mm "skeleton" unit from Desmond to adapt my non-QR head to use Arca-Swiss and it cost less than $20 USD.

Tripod Quick Release Systems | B&H Photo Video

Steve
08-16-2017, 10:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
I don't get it. Looks like any sort of cheap knob or nut with the right diameter do the job, like these.
Been thinking about visiting Home Depot to see if they have something that will work. That might be the cheapest solution. Thanks!

---------- Post added 08-16-17 at 10:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Benro offers a 3 year warranty on their product site, just in case you did not know and think it may be applicable to your situation.

I have a Sirui K-20X, which has a 55 lb. capacity and is excellent to handle. There is a K-10X which has a 44 lb. capacity that is similar and a little bit smaller. I would recommend those due to the style, build, and 6 year warranty. There are also smaller ballheads that they make. Below are shortcuts to the K-10X, K-20X, and an Amazon page with an assortment of Sirui ballheads.

amazon.com : Sirui K-10X 33mm Ballhead with Quick Release, 44.1 lbs Load Capacity : Tripod Camera Mounts : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

amazon.com : Sirui K-20X 38mm Ballhead with Quick Release, 55.1 lbs Load Capacity : Tripod Camera Mounts : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?tag=pentaxforums-20&url=search-alias...Sirui+ballhead
Thanks for the links! I will definitely check them out!

08-16-2017, 11:21 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you really need to replace the ball head?
How does that clamp on yours attach to the ball head post?
(I looked at mine, but is has a different clamp than they used on your model).
Could you replace it with something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009J4RXCQ/?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Edit: never mind, I just saw that stevebrot already suggested similar!
08-16-2017, 12:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote

---------- Post added 08-16-17 at 10:31 AM ----------

Thanks for the links! I will definitely check them out!
You're welcome.