Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-17-2017, 08:47 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ball Head maintenance question...

Hi all. I've got a Manfrotto RCsomething or other ball-head mounted on my tripod, and I was wondering what to do with it to keep it from "sticking". If I loosen the grip on the ball just enough to move the camera, it moves but not smoothly. Like there's something gumming up the surfaces and making it sticky.

Yes, of course I can loosen the grip more and move it around, but I'd rather clean the thing off if possible. I will be using it for the eclipse and would like things as smooth as possible.

Suggestions?

08-17-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth.
08-18-2017, 10:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
thanks, I will give that a shot!
08-19-2017, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

After cleaning it with isopropyl you could try a tiny application of graphite powder (used to lubricate locks) to keep it moving smoothly. I wouldn't use a regular oil or grease as that would hold dust and grit and turn it into a grinding paste which would prematurely wear out your ball head.

A quick way of obtaining a small amount of graphite powder is to take the 'lead' core out of a wooden pencil and file it with a clean metal file over a piece of paper to produce a fine dust (pencil 'leads' are made of graphite). Don't use sandpaper to sand it as you may end up with sand particles mixed in with the dust which would grind away your ball head/socket.

08-19-2017, 09:11 AM   #5

Although the 222 is different from the RC heads some of this should be applicable:
Manfrotto 222 Ball Head Disassembly and Ball Cleaning – ManfrottoTripodParts

Note: they do not recommend using any solvents or lubricants.