Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2017, 02:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photography Belt/Harness Recommendations, especially Arcaswiss.

I've kinda asked this before I think, I'm going down the 'prime route' with 24mm, 50mm and 100mm primes. I'm looking for a more professional solution to managing the swapping more effectively. I think I will eventually replace the 24mm with an actual K-50/K-70 or KP with a 21mm attached (kinda 'indefinitely'), and then use the K-1 for 50mm, 100mm and probably eventually a 200mm.

The K-50 will have an arca swiss plate attached, and the K-1 a L Plate bracket. Sometimes I will leave the K-50 behind and take a wide angle lens for the K-1, other times when I feel the time for lens swapping is tight I will bring the K-50.

For bushwalking I have been using the
, I really like this bag. It's perfect for bringing the main camera out and putting away from protection without too much hassle. It's a squueze to fit in with the K-1 + L-Plate and neck strap, easier if you leave the neckstrap out if not important to put away during the session/walk. The main problem with the bag is it doesn't have a lot of pockets or compartments, and taking it off to dig to find something can defeat it's purpose. I need more pouches on my person for easier access. I'm hesitant to get a photographers vest due to the climate here in Australia. Probably needs to be another utility belt (yup... I'm turning into Batman...)

Currently I have been using a regular belt and attaching the lenses to it in cheapish pouches. If not carrying too much in the bag the pouches tend to fit into the Sling Bag.

I'm just looking for an upgrade to the belt perspective. I literally just use a normal belt, or those kinda fabric stretchy ones. I'm wondering if something better exists, or something that is better for attaching gear to like lens pouches, a K-50 etc.

The one other area that is a tad annoying is the tripod. I have a ProMaster XC525 tripod, I can kinda tie it onto the Sling Bag, but often I will just carry. Is there a weird cool way to attach it different to your person? Leg strap or something? The less amount of times I need to remove the Sling Bag from me, the better.

I'll go googling later, right now i'm heading out the door for work soon, I always like to see what people come up with before I sit down and really browse b&h

Cheers,

Bruce

08-22-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bruce, just to get you thinking...
Have you seen the B-Grip Belt Holster.
I have one but haven't been out and about with it yet; I am looking forward to trying it next holidays - takes the weight off the shoulders and keeps the hands free.
For the tripod, the best solution is always take your wife/porter with you.

http://www.bgrip.com/
08-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been happy with the Think tank belts. Very well thought out...like a think tank.

Belt Systems ? Think Tank Photo
08-22-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Bruce, just to get you thinking...
Have you seen the B-Grip Belt Holster.
I have one but haven't been out and about with it yet; I am looking forward to trying it next holidays - takes the weight off the shoulders and keeps the hands free.
For the tripod, the best solution is always take your wife/porter with you.

B-grip line | Makers of the Best Quality Camera Accessories
I've had the B-Grip Belt Holster for about a year now. I really like it! Easy to put your camera on it, and to release it. With a 70-300 lens + TC, I don't feel the weight at all, nor does it swing around as you walk. The belt is very sturdy, and completely adjustable.

08-22-2017, 05:17 PM   #5
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I'm looking for a more professional solution to managing the swapping more effectively.
G'day Bruce,

I see you're looking at going in a certain direction for a solution so I would like to (also) point you towards a solution from Thinktank. I have one of their shoulder bags ( https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/retrospective-series/products/retrospective-30), boring black in my case, but it's a really good bag with more than enough capacity for what you're seeking. The top flap secures using velcro, but this can be locked out of the way so at weddings etc you can keep the flap over the top of your kit but lift it up to access a lens silently. The Retrospective comes in smaller versions too ( https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/retrospective-series/products/retrospective-20 ) and have the ability to add a dedicated lens pouch externally for say the 200mm if you maxed out the bag capacity. A sheaper solution that might fit you though is one called the Retrospective Lens Changer: https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/retrospective-series/products/ret...lens-changer-3

The shoulder straps on these are broad and comfy and they have a wet weather cover, as well as capacity for extras as shown in the item images. I bought mine from a store so I grabbed what was on the shelf (boring black), but if I was looking to buy one now it would be one of the canvas versions as they look hella kewl. Anyhoo, my two cents worth.

Tas
08-27-2017, 01:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I've had the B-Grip Belt Holster for about a year now. I really like it! Easy to put your camera on it, and to release it. With a 70-300 lens + TC, I don't feel the weight at all, nor does it swing around as you walk. The belt is very sturdy, and completely adjustable.
That looks like something that eventually I might need. From this products page can you point me to the exact one you have?
Products | b-grip

I had a look for one that said 'holster' in its name but didn't see it... they all seem to do a similar job?

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
G'day Bruce,

I see you're looking at going in a certain direction for a solution so I would like to (also) point you towards a solution from Thinktank. I have one of their shoulder bags ( Retrospective 30 - Best Photography Camera Shoulder Bag ? Think Tank Photo), boring black in my case, but it's a really good bag with more than enough capacity for what you're seeking. The top flap secures using velcro, but this can be locked out of the way so at weddings etc you can keep the flap over the top of your kit but lift it up to access a lens silently. The Retrospective comes in smaller versions too ( Retrospective 20 - Best Photography Camera Shoulder Bag ? Think Tank Photo ) and have the ability to add a dedicated lens pouch externally for say the 200mm if you maxed out the bag capacity. A sheaper solution that might fit you though is one called the Retrospective Lens Changer: Retrospective Lens Changer 3 - Photography Shoulder Bag ? Think Tank Photo

The shoulder straps on these are broad and comfy and they have a wet weather cover, as well as capacity for extras as shown in the item images. I bought mine from a store so I grabbed what was on the shelf (boring black), but if I was looking to buy one now it would be one of the canvas versions as they look hella kewl. Anyhoo, my two cents worth.

Tas
A new lens bag is not what I am requiring (tho it does look good), but those belts and harnesses system look like the avenue I am heading down! Cheers for those links, I'll see if I can find an aussie seller etc.
08-28-2017, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The BH Camera Holster | b-grip

"That looks like something that eventually I might need. From this products page can you point me to the exact one you have?
Products | b-grip"

I have the camera/holster, linked above. Really love it!
08-28-2017, 04:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
The BH Camera Holster | b-grip

"That looks like something that eventually I might need. From this products page can you point me to the exact one you have?
Products | b-grip"

I have the camera/holster, linked above. Really love it!
Thanks!

EDIT: I've noticed it's not Arca compatible, that might matter to me. I'm thinking because the actual camera attached to my belt would probably be the K-50 with a 21mm attached, therefore it's likely to see a lot of Landscape shots and therefore tripod mounting and my tripod is Arca (and I have Arca L Plate on my K-1)...

A little amount of research and I have discovered the Peak Design Capture Camera Clip V2 and the Spider Camera Holster Black Widow Holster (extra accessory required for Arca compatability, if you watch the video it explains).

Interesting stuff. Lots more googling and researching to do. The fact that the spider is rotatable could either be a good or bad thing, I wonder how it feels when moving and not stationary like that fella is in the video.

I'm hesitant to buy into a 'belt' system, as then I am kinda locked into a belt, but these devices seem to add flexibility to strapping onto a shoulder strap as well.

Oh... and yesterday I tried stuffing my tripod down my belt slightly and having on my hip, there has to be another system here to have the tripod on hip for easy access. I mean my tripod can be anchored on my backpack for times I'm not going to need it, but it's once again another PIA to take the bag off, unattach it and get it ready etc, I'm looking for quickest set up and dismantling time as often on bushwalks etc I have company and I don't like keeping them waiting unnecessarily.

Last edited by BruceBanner; 08-28-2017 at 04:28 PM.
08-28-2017, 04:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bruce, the makers of the Bgrip also supply a separate plate adapter. (It means that you have to piggy-back one plate on top of another, and it is a failing of the system (But it adds revenue for the manufacturer!!). Why they couldn't make units with different plates is beyond me.)

and I am sticking with my suggestion of a porter to carry the tripod.
08-28-2017, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bruce, the makers of the Bgrip also supply a separate plate adapter. (It means that you have to piggy-back one plate on top of another, and it is a failing of the system (But it adds revenue for the manufacturer!!). Why they couldn't make units with different plates is beyond me.)

and I am sticking with my suggestion of a porter to carry the tripod.
Yeh, that's what the Spider system seems to use, a piggy back style plate that goes underneath the L plate/Arca plate.

Believe me I've tried making my wife or kids carry the tripod, I even tried to sell the idea that it looks like a cool gun! <pulls one leg out, makes pew pew sounds!> but they just looked at me like the dag I am and refused in that youthful disrespectful premillennial kinda way
08-28-2017, 06:51 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Inspiration
08-28-2017, 09:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Inspiration
Ah... so that's what those long limb thingies on my body are for! Carrying stuff!
08-29-2017, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Currently I have been using a regular belt and attaching the lenses to it in cheapish pouches. If not carrying too much in the bag the pouches tend to fit into the Sling Bag.

I'm just looking for an upgrade to the belt perspective. I literally just use a normal belt, or those kinda fabric stretchy ones. I'm wondering if something better exists, or something that is better for attaching gear to like lens pouches, a K-50 etc.
I'd take a look at Think Tank's belts and packaging solutions. I'm sure they would have the kind of equipment which fits your needs. Or use a messenger bag instead of a sling, maybe coupled with Peak Design's Capture Clip.

The one other area that is a tad annoying is the tripod. I have a ProMaster XC525 tripod, I can kinda tie it onto the Sling Bag, but often I will just carry. Is there a weird cool way to attach it different to your person?
Look at the Sirui T-025X, it's light enough that you can attach it to your person using the supplied carabiner hook.
08-29-2017, 05:45 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I'd take a look at Think Tank's belts and packaging solutions. I'm sure they would have the kind of equipment which fits your needs. Or use a messenger bag instead of a sling, maybe coupled with Peak Design's Capture Clip.

Look at the Sirui T-025X, it's light enough that you can attach it to your person using the supplied carabiner hook.
Wow yes, 2lb in weight, that is very light indeed! Thanks, maybe time for a tripod upgrade in the future!