Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
Forum Member

Spider Pro Hand Strap, a bust

Well, I've assisted a few wedding photographers with the intent on learning, usually work for free. Of course,they are usually CaNikon types. Well I decided to buy a Think Tank Pro Speed Belt and the Spider Holster Pro. Then I decided to take another plunge and bought the Spider Hand Strap. Unfortunately this doesn't work well with a K-3. The top portion is right on the d-rings so you have to fight it to put your finger on the shutter. This makes it quite uncomfortable and just not worth the hassle. I sent the plastic tab that goes into the ring, it got better but not good enough to shoot an event. I wear size large gloves and could never get the strap to give me a firm grip. It seems it just doesn't work on Pentax. If you look at a Canon you may notice it's shutter and wheel are the reverse of a pentax so it doesn't become an issue. Also I use a battery grip and that didn't make it any easier.

Now to look for something else. Considering the Peak Design but it concerns me since the top strap is not too big.

I have a Domke neck strap but it really isnt doing much for me.

Let me know what you guys are using.

Getting used to the Spider Holster. So far it's working out but will talk about it after using it at a few more events and studio session.

08-25-2017, 06:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
gordy's camera straps
08-25-2017, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I prefer simple loop hand straps, but this might be similar to what your looking at:

Pentax DSLR Leather Hand Strap 85101 B&H Photo Video

Its made by pentax so fit should be good. I can't offer opinions since I've never used it.
08-25-2017, 10:54 PM   #4
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Angel Perez Quote
Let me know what you guys are using.
I've been using a Joby hand strap on my K5 and K-1, both with grip fitted. It comes with a plate to attach to the bottom that permits attachment of tripod mounting plates. It's not the prettiest thing out there, but it does what I need it to do. It has two adjusting straps, I prefer it a bit loose, but I know it has plenty of scope to tighten up if I choose to do so. This is it mounted to my K-1 & grip.

This is the plate on the bottom of the K-1 battery grip. These images are from one of my albums containing images that show the grip with a few different types of tripod mounting plates, if you want to check those out.

As the K-1 battery grip has a loop that I can use to secure the hand strap to I don't need to use this plate if I don't want to.

So far as downsides go the only one I find is access to the battery grip shutter button when I take my hand out of the strap to shoot using the grip in portrait orientation. I need to push the strap out of the way when I do this but I guess all hand straps can have this issue. I also used to find that when the bottom strap was attached to the bottom plate it could depress the K-1 battery grip shutter button however this is not an issue now that I have attached the strap directly to the battery grip. I didn't have that problem on the K5/DBG-4 battery grip combo so if the DBG-5 doesn't have a strap attachment it probably won't be an issue on the K3 either.

Here's a link if this strap interests you: Joby UltraFit Hand Strap with UltraPlate JB01277 B&H Photo Video

Tas

08-26-2017, 04:51 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

like Tas I use the joby hand grip + ultra plate, on both my K 3 and K 5 II

the only problem is that the plate attaches via an " Allen " ( hex ) wrench, and must be detached to access the battery in the camera body, so you must have the wrench with you as opposed to a twist or screw head ( operated by a coin )

however I use the battery grip so I have access in the field to the battery in the grip without any problems

I also use the Opt/Tech USA utility strap as well

take a look at this post if you want more info or photos or links

K3 or similar with wrist strap - PentaxForums.com
08-26-2017, 02:57 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What I use is not a leather wrist strap, but I've used this op/tech strap on my old Canon 350, Canon 5D, Pentax K-5 II, KS-2, and now it's attached to my KP. The strap part is neoprene and can be tighten up on your wrist if needed. It has a recommended weight limit of 10 lbs, which I've never came close to. It's fairly cheap and made in the USA. It keeps my camera secure in my hand and if a sudden situation arises where I need the use of my hand I can just drop the camera and I know it's not going anywhere. I also have a camera holster & shoulder strap if needed, but most of the time when walking around all I carry is shoulder camera bag and my camera on my wrist.
SLR Wrist Strap - Wrist Strap for DSLR Cameras | OP/TECH USA
08-31-2017, 02:56 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your advice. I decided to try the Pentax Hand Strap. I could only find it in B&H. When I read the reviews the majority of the re viewers who loved it where Canon and Nikon users, go figure. It is really a nicely designed hand strap. I am wondering why did I never know we had this. It seem the Nikon and Canon shooters do. It's a shame Pentax doesn't have better marketing (a topic probably beat to death in these forums).

Well in terms of build I would give it a 9. In features a 10. I tried the Spider Pro and this is more comfortable and easily adjustable. It doesn't come with instructions and you look at and think oh, this will be easy and then you are looking at the picture of it online to make sure you put it on right. The hand strap is definitely for me, when I am shooting events I am not using a neck strap and this right now looks to give me the support and security I need. I also do have a spider holster pro and it integrates perfectly.

Once again, I am grateful to my fellow Pentaxians.
08-31-2017, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #8
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well in terms of build I would give it a 9. In features a 10.
It would be worthwhile you taking a bit of time with the new strap then adding a review here: Pentax Leather Hand Strap reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

I tried the Spider Pro and this is more comfortable and easily adjustable.
Ditto for the Spider Pro, however as you've got enough time under your belt with it you won't need to delay adding a new review here: Camera Straps - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database To add a review go to the top right of the page and in bold red you will find 'Add New Accessory' between the two search window thingies.

Tas