Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2017, 02:34 AM   #1

Kenko Pro1d Lotus ND? Hoya filter kit II? Used filter choice.

Hello. Do You know anything about Kenko Pro1d Lotus ND filters?
Google Translator

I found Kenko and Hoya are owned by the same company and some suggestions that Kenko filters are identical to Hoya and some strong evidences that it is not always true.
As I understand Hoya Multi Coated filters are very good, filters with older coatings are worse. I tried to find information about Lotus coating and I failed. Can anyone (possibly from Japan, as those seem to be dedicated for Japanese market) tell me more about those filters?

Also - any experience with ND filter from Amazon.com : Hoya 77mm Digital Filter Kit : Camera Lens Filter Sets : Camera & Photo ?? It is basic filter and it has older coatings, I guess?

I assume Kenko shoult theoretically be better than those Hoya, since it alone costs more than whole Hoya set?

Michael

Last edited by dr_Fell; 09-04-2017 at 02:48 AM.
09-04-2017, 09:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know nothing about these filters but keep in mind that all filter manufacturers have various grades of filters for different markets. So saying "Hoya Multi Coated filters are very good" means absolutely nothing. Hoya has several different grades of multi coated filters as do other manufacturers.

Here are some ND filter reviews that might give some information on what to look for:
Color Casts, Vignetting, and Sharpness: Which Neutral Density Filter Is Best? | Fstoppers
5 Filters Go Head to Head in This Neutral Density Shootout
"The Ultimate Guide To Neutral Density Filters" by Peter Hill | Redbubble
ND Buying Guide ? Breakthrough Photography

Read those and do your research.
09-04-2017, 09:35 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I know nothing about these filters but keep in mind that all filter manufacturers have various grades of filters for different markets. So saying "Hoya Multi Coated filters are very good" means absolutely nothing. Hoya has several different grades of multi coated filters as do other manufacturers.

Here are some ND filter reviews that might give some information on what to look for:
Color Casts, Vignetting, and Sharpness: Which Neutral Density Filter Is Best? | Fstoppers
5 Filters Go Head to Head in This Neutral Density Shootout
"The Ultimate Guide To Neutral Density Filters" by Peter Hill | Redbubble
ND Buying Guide ? Breakthrough Photography

Read those and do your research.
It's useful info, that Hoya (and I guess Kenko as well) have different grades of multi-coated filters, thanks. As I guess, no-smc filters are even worse, so I am trying to avoid them above all.

As I have limited budget, my choice is restricted to used one filters that I can buy at lower price, atm I can buy one of the two above for reasonable price. As for now, newer Kenko filters seem to be rebranded Hoya filters for Asian market. There is the possibility Kenko Pro1d may be the same as Hoya Pro1 digital, that seem to be very good filter. But it is also possible, that I am wrong. Maybe someone here has more info on that...
09-04-2017, 10:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've owned a couple Kenko filters. They are fine and all, but you can tell they're not the top grade ones.

I think they are the lower line of Hoya. Hoya has a couple lines here in the USA so I'm guessing they rebranded those for the Japanese market. I do believe they sell Hoya there. TBH, I don't really remember. I've been to Japanese camera stores often; I head right for Marumi because I really like their polarizers and they are somewhat hard to get in the USA. (But now I'm all in on B+W because those are just so nicely made.)

09-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I've owned a couple Kenko filters. They are fine and all, but you can tell they're not the top grade ones.

I think they are the lower line of Hoya. Hoya has a couple lines here in the USA so I'm guessing they rebranded those for the Japanese market. I do believe they sell Hoya there. TBH, I don't really remember. I've been to Japanese camera stores often; I head right for Marumi because I really like their polarizers and they are somewhat hard to get in the USA. (But now I'm all in on B+W because those are just so nicely made.)
Hmm, are You sure You aren't comparing lower Kenko lines with higher / different Hoya lines? I continue my research and there are informations about Hoya and Kenko being the same and about being different. The first info is from the distributor (Tokina Hoya Kenko company) and the second from Hoya employee. So... You may be just right.

EDIT: according to this UV filters test, Hoya and Kenko aren't the same and You are right. On the other hand in this polarising filter test Kenko is better than Hoya...

MadMathMind, could You tell me, what kind of Kenko filters did You have? (PL, ND or UV)?

Last edited by dr_Fell; 09-04-2017 at 01:13 PM.
09-04-2017, 04:29 PM   #6
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've got a mixture of Kenko and Hoya CP-L filters: from more expensive to cheapest, Kenko Zeta (I have them in 49mm and 77mm), Kenko RealPro (I have 58mm) and a plain Hoya (62mm). My subjective impression is that the quality is in the same order as the price. But the Hoya is quite satisfactory.
09-04-2017, 09:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dr_Fell Quote
Hmm, are You sure You aren't comparing lower Kenko lines with higher / different Hoya lines? I continue my research and there are informations about Hoya and Kenko being the same and about being different. The first info is from the distributor (Tokina Hoya Kenko company) and the second from Hoya employee. So... You may be just right.

EDIT: according to this UV filters test, Hoya and Kenko aren't the same and You are right. On the other hand in this polarising filter test Kenko is better than Hoya...

MadMathMind, could You tell me, what kind of Kenko filters did You have? (PL, ND or UV)?
I'm trying to remember the racks at Yodobashi camera. I think they have Hoya too. I know they have Kenko and Marumi. The Kenko ones are the most inexpensive.

I think I had their Star Cross filter? I don't believe I have a polarizer from Kenko. I bought the Marumi one five years ago and never switched away.

09-05-2017, 09:43 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank You. So I guess Kenko Pro1D (and I guess Lotus is almost the same, but easier to clean) is positioned under Kenko Pro1d Pro, seems to be the middle Kenko line. It is also in the price range of the Hoya HMC series so it is probably lower line and quality than Hoya ProND. I guess I know everything I need to
09-06-2017, 04:11 PM   #9

Original Poster
More info:

I compared informations from Kenko website, Kenko shop and Amazon jp.

According to this page: Series- Kenko Global Site - Kenko has few filter series, and its "middle" series seem to be Pro1D, then RealPro, then Zeta, Celeste. I went to Kenko shop and looked at the prices. There were not Kenko Zeta ND filters (strange), there were Kenk Pro series (probably older, priced lower than Pro1D), then Pro1D series and then Kenko Pro1D Lotus series, priced almost two times higher than Pro1D... Looking at the Amazon jp prices, Kenko Pro1D Lotus are priced even higher (c.a. 15%) than Kenko Zeta...

The inconsistency between Kenko website and their shop is strange to me, but it seems that Pro1D Lotus series might be better filters than Pro1D (at least they are much more expensive). I guess I will take a risk and buy one, since the price is good.