Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2017, 07:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Teleconverter for K-3ii

I have a K-3 ii and have added a Sigma 50-500 zoom. I'm looking to purchase a teleconverter and am wondering if anyone has a similar setup. I have read somewhere that some of the tc's can't use autofocus. Is this is true, what are my options? Hoping someone can answer this. Thanks

09-11-2017, 08:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Y dont you read the reviews in the third party section.its comprehensive and pretty accurate.
09-11-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
Emperor and Senpai

The DA 1.4 AW teleconverter will AF with it no problem as long as you have enough light, but the 1.4 isn't FF compatible. With your body that isn't a problem though.
09-11-2017, 10:18 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davefraser54 Quote
I have a K-3 ii and have added a Sigma 50-500 zoom. I'm looking to purchase a teleconverter and am wondering if anyone has a similar setup. I have read somewhere that some of the tc's can't use autofocus. Is this is true, what are my options? Hoping someone can answer this. Thanks
This will work just fine, with full AF support:

Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-11-2017, 10:57 AM   #5
Site Supporter

The tamron or the kenko 1.4 and 1.5x are probably your best options with AF. They are 1/3 of the price of the pentax and they are FF compatible.
09-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

If it's the newer OS HSM version of the 50-500mm then AF is VERY hit and miss, much like with all other HSM Sigma lenses.
09-11-2017, 03:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I use this together with Sigma 150-500. It supports HSM focusing, and on K-S2 does not affect autofocus, at least not to noticeable degree. Quite surprisingly it becomes a little bit of 'hit and miss' variety on K-1.
09-13-2017, 07:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Y dont you read the reviews in the third party section.its comprehensive and pretty accurate.
Thanks, Surfar. I will check it out

---------- Post added 09-13-17 at 08:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
The DA 1.4 AW teleconverter will AF with it no problem as long as you have enough light, but the 1.4 isn't FF compatible. With your body that isn't a problem though.
Thanks, Voice. Muchly appreciated!

---------- Post added 09-13-17 at 08:19 AM ----------

Thanks. I was hoping for this answer.

---------- Post added 09-13-17 at 08:26 AM ----------

Thank you, Adam!

---------- Post added 09-13-17 at 08:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
The tamron or the kenko 1.4 and 1.5x are probably your best options with AF. They are 1/3 of the price of the pentax and they are FF compatible.
Lots of food for thought. Thanks Sergysergy!

---------- Post added 09-13-17 at 08:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
If it's the newer OS HSM version of the 50-500mm then AF is VERY hit and miss, much like with all other HSM Sigma lenses.
I don't like the sound of hit and miss. Will have to dig a little deeper. Thanks, Mike.

---------- Post added 09-13-17 at 08:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
I use this together with Sigma 150-500. It supports HSM focusing, and on K-S2 does not affect autofocus, at least not to noticeable degree. Quite surprisingly it becomes a little bit of 'hit and miss' variety on K-1.
Ok, pentageek, I checked it out and will look into it. Thank you!

09-13-2017, 12:37 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davefraser54 Quote
I don't like the sound of hit and miss. Will have to dig a little deeper. Thanks, Mike.
It's mainly because of the slow aperture at the long end. Shoot in very good light for best results.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: