Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1. macro bellows - greater range of magnification than rings
2. system neck strap - for instance Op-tech. I use single strap with every combination of camera and lens, Mamiya RB included. Peak Design is also good, albeit its 'system' is less versatile.
3. lenspen

09-14-2017, 11:05 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
Lenspen, now that's something else that I also find useful. Add the blower brush that someone else mentioned. With Eclipse fluid and dry, disposable optical wipes and I've cleaned up many a filthy filter in the field, after I've dropped them with cold hands. Need that handwarmer that's been mentioned
09-14-2017, 02:40 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
They'd need to be able to relax - last thing you want is a Sherpa Tensing
I love it!!

But one has to have a few years under their belt to appreciate this joke. Hillary and Norgay did Everest in 1953.
09-14-2017, 02:46 PM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
I love it!!

But one has to have a few years under their belt to appreciate this joke. Hillary and Norgay did Everest in 1953.
or a sense of history

I was born in 1957

I read the story when it was brought out years after the fact that the white explorer got all of the glory as opposed to the Sherpa getting joint credit of being the first to conquer Everest

09-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haves and wants:

Haves - Little things mean a lot
  1. Op/Tech Wrist Strap - I love the security when I am hand-carrying my camera
  2. Op/Tech Harness - Keeps the camera in front of me and relieves the weight on my shoulders
  3. Homemade Groundpod - You gotta love something that cost you $12 rather than $100

Wants - Would like, but I get by without them (sorta)
  1. Cotton Carrier Endeavor Belt System
  2. Pentax D FA 150-450mm & DA* 300mm lenses
  3. Some Talent

I am sorry we can't mention computer stuff. I wanted to brag about my new 27" iMac. But that's not allowed, so I won't mention it.
09-14-2017, 03:39 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1. Tilley Hat. Wide, soft brim that moves out of the way. (Unlike the bill of a ball cap).
  2. Extra, charged batteries. Include extra charging plates for heavy users. Line 'em up with a power strip.
  3. OEM fitted lens hood, mounted facing outward. So I don't look like 'that guy'.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-15-2017 at 08:39 AM.
09-14-2017, 04:12 PM   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
. . . Pentax D FA 150-450mm & DA* 300mm lenses

[*]Some Talent . . . .

you could rent the D FA 150 - 450 and the DA * 300 mm

if you find a place to get the other item at a low price, please pm me

09-14-2017, 04:35 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Nylon jacket - waterproof and windproof, folds down very small to fit into the shoulder bag when not needed.
Baseball cap - big peak shades bright sun or keeps raindrops off my spectacles, folds flat to go in the bag when not needed.
250ml plastic bottle of fruit squash - more refreshing than water and not too big and heavy in the bag.

Philip
09-14-2017, 04:46 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To me
1. It is a L Bracket.
I like to shoot night city landscape. By nature of Urban landscape, It is a lot of tall building to capture, therefore I do more of portrait oriented photo. It is no problem to do portrait oriented on a larger tripod but more than often I have to deal with tinny space to fit myself into or I have to mount my camera somewhere above where I stand with car running, people walking below, etc. A proper tripod won't always work. A small Gorillapod
will be useful in this situation. Trying to do portrait oriented photo using a heavy camera without an L Bracket on one of these light / small tripod never end up well, the small tripod will likely be tilted over on its side sometime in a middle of a long expose shooting.
2. wireless remote control
3. my DIY strap

Last edited by pakinjapan; 09-15-2017 at 01:00 AM.
09-14-2017, 05:08 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Obligatory Rule: Give reasons/background and if possible a web reference
Oops, I didn't pay attention to this one.

1. Tripod: in addition to making it feasible to shoot at longer shutter speeds, which is necessary for much of the photography I do, it also allows and/or encourages a more deliberate approach to composition. (And for my 4x5 it is obligatory.)

2. Polarizing filter: cuts reflections and improves contrast and saturation for a result that is simply not possible by other means.

3. Notebook: this is my "unusual" one; I really only use it for film work. I prefer it to an electronic device for note taking, both for reliability and also for matching the more mechanical nature of my film workflow. (I also use it as a reference for various things: reciprocity failure tables, filter factors, etc.)

BTW, I too think that L-brackets are great, but they're not much use without a tripod.
09-15-2017, 12:54 AM   #26

1.) Sturdy and easy to use tripod.
2.) Tripod head.
3.) The Pentax Lolly!!!
09-15-2017, 02:25 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I read the story when it was brought out years after the fact that the white explorer got all of the glory as opposed to the Sherpa getting joint credit of being the first to conquer Everest
I agree. One thing that has always puzzled me is that a photo exists of EH on the mountain, captioned 'First man to climb Everest'. It was taken from above. I can see no sign of a 'selfie stick' - so who took it ? Answers on the back of a £10,000 cheque made payable to 'Bearer', please.
09-15-2017, 02:39 AM   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
  1. Tilley Hat. Wide, soft brim that moves out of the way. (Unlike the bill of a ball cap).
  2. Extra, charged batteries. Include extra charging plates for heavy users. Line 'em up with a power strip.
  3. OEM fitted lens hood, mounted facing outward. So I don't look like 'that guy'.
# 1 for Tilley hat,

worn one for years, my father had one and passed on the info about them

well worth checking out IMHO, YMMV

Hats & Finest Travel Clothing for Men & Women | Tilley

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-15-2017 at 04:03 AM.
09-15-2017, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A 4X4 - to get places
Dynamite and chainsaw to tidy up landscape shots
A buffalo skull to add foreground interest to shots
09-15-2017, 05:01 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Anyone want to play ?
I'll play:

1-Arca-swiss tripod plates
2-Peak Design Capture Clip. Since I've been using it, I almost never use a camera strap. In fact I now own three Capture Clips.
3-Mindshift Gear Horizon backpack. I have MANY camera bags, and I like each of them. This one is the most unique of the lot, however, granting access to gear without removing the backpack. Invaluable in many situations.

1) Without doubt my Manfrotto Quick Release Plates . I have then permanently fitted to all my cameras and a long lens. I then have compatible heads on my tripod and monopod. I never have to think about interchanging, screwing each item into place etc. Easy and liberating. (Quick Release Plate with 1/4'' Screw and Rubber Grip)
I understand your point, however I'd be sad to be stuck in one non-standard tripod system. That's why I like Arca-Swiss so much