Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2017, 06:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Three most useful accessories ?

I was out this morning and I began to think about what are my most useful accessories (ok things weren't going well, sadly). I thought this thread could prove useful to other's if it revealed some surprises.

Here are a few Rules:

Obligatory Rule: Not to include cameras, lenses, nor software/computer gear.
Obligatory Rule: Give reasons/background and if possible a web reference
An in-the-spirit-of type Rule: Try for at least one item to be a little less unusual

Anyone want to play ?

Here's mine:
1) Without doubt my Manfrotto Quick Release Plates . I have then permanently fitted to all my cameras and a long lens. I then have compatible heads on my tripod and monopod. I never have to think about interchanging, screwing each item into place etc. Easy and liberating. (www.manfrotto.co.uk/quick-release-plate-with-1-4-screw-and-rubber-grip)

2) My Manfrotto carbon monopod and head. Bear with me as it's nothing especially exciting ... At first I thought it was useless. I'd used a tripod for ages and believed a monopod was just a reduced function tripod. It ended up in a cupboard and nearly forgotten. Then I tried it again and the lights suddenly went on. It wasn't a poor man's tripod at all. It was a device to give me 2 to three stops extra quality in my images and keep my ISO settings lower. It slowed me down, only a little - not tripod like, but enough to stop me snapping away. It is very handy as a walking stick to help negotiate slippery slopes etc thus saving gear from falling/slipping. Also it fends off pesky animals, when used in club mode ie with head furthest from hand. I use it on my Ricoh GR the most, and secondly with a K3, and rarely with K-1 as the beast is so good. Most use when scouting for locations and covering longer distances, on holiday inside buildings, and again on holiday when taking snap-shots when it's crowded as folk, oddly, seem to get out of my way when I use it - never worked out why, but it works.

3) Lastly a camera bag. An inexpensive bag, that doesn't scream camera bag. Is robustly made. Can handle a K3/small zoom and maybe a Limited, plus slim water bottle and few bits without being too congested or heavy. It's easy to get in UK. I've got the dark grey version. It's called Matin Balade 200

What are yours ?

Nothing especially inciteful, but the first two are especially useful to me

Last edited by BarryE; 09-14-2017 at 06:52 AM.
09-14-2017, 06:56 AM - 2 Likes   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a good, comfortable strap

a good, sturdy, reliable tripod (and head)

a good, utilitarian bag
09-14-2017, 07:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A good camera bag, a good mount, and an external remote/intervalometer. Never leave home without 'em!
09-14-2017, 08:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Do filters qualify? if they do, I'll mention these three:
1. set of step up rings
2. B+W 10 stop ND filter
3. Singh-Ray Gold'N Blue polarizer

09-14-2017, 08:03 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I was out this morning and I began to think about what are my most useful accessories (ok things weren't going well, sadly). I thought this thread could prove useful to other's if it revealed some surprises. . . .
would a willing person playing the role of " Sherpa " to carry all the photographic equipment count as an accessory?
09-14-2017, 08:05 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

My dream accessory for many years has been a hot-shoe mounted laser, to remove unwanted people from scenic shots. Trouble is, then they would just lie around in untidy attitudes.
09-14-2017, 08:07 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
would a willing person playing the role of " Sherpa " to carry all the photographic equipment count as an accessory?
They'd need to be able to relax - last thing you want is a Sherpa Tensing

09-14-2017, 08:16 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
They'd need to be able to relax - last thing you want is a Sherpa Tensing
I don't know about that,

he was very helpful to a certain New Zealander and others fixated on a certain task

sherpatenzing

Tenzing Norgay - Biography

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-14-2017 at 08:31 AM.
09-14-2017, 08:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

There are some things I wouldn't consider accessories but rather important basic parts of the kit depending on the type of photography that you do. Like a tripod and backpack for landscape photographers or a set of flashes/diffusors/reflectors for portrait photographers and so on. So for me it would be more interesting to read what accessories people use that are not a must but optional and maybe find something that I haven't though of yet and might get for myself.

My three most essential accessories are:

1. L-Bracket - being able to quickly change from landscape to portrait orientation without having to fiddle around with the tripod head is just sooo much better

2. Rocketblower - I shoot landscapes and change my lenses outside so this is a really helpful tool to get rid of dust that might get inside my camera

3. Sling strap like Peakdesign or Blackrapid - Since I have one I wonder why manufacturers even bother to sell cameras with neck straps. I mean come on who would really want to walk around with a K-1 with 24-70 or even 70-200 around their neck for anything longer than two minutes? Well maybe if you're married to a physiotherapist

Last edited by alpheios; 09-14-2017 at 10:14 AM.
09-14-2017, 08:26 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
There are some things I wouldn't consider accessories but rather important basic parts of the kit depending on the type of photography that you do. Like a tripod and backpack for landscape photographers or a set of flashes/diffusors/reflectors for portrait photographers and so on. So for me it would be more interesting to read what accessories people use that are not a must but optional and maybe find something that I haven't though of yet and might get for myself.

My three most essential accessories are: . . .

3. Sling strap like Peakdesign or Blackrapid - Since I have one I wonder why manufacturers even bother to sell cameras with neck straps. I mean come on who would really want walk around with a K-1 with 24-70 or even 70-200 around your neck for anything longer than two minutes? Well maybe if you're married to a physiotherapist

many types of slings, I like mine, a Optech USA utility sling

https://optechusa.com/utility-strap-sling.html

I agree once you try a sling, the originally supplied strap will never be used again
09-14-2017, 08:44 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1. Tripod
2. Polarizing filter
3. Notebook

Obviously if I were, say, a wedding photographer I'd have a different list.
09-14-2017, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
An in-the-spirit-of type Rule: Try for at least one item to be a little less unusual
I expect tripod, bag, and remote to be frequently mentioned because they are so important. So, to list some unusual stuff, here are things that I find important for astrophotography and night landscapes.

1) Headlamp. This lets me hike safely before sunrise and after sunset. They can also be used for light painting. Pack a backup, and a backup to the backup (your smartphone flashlight app can be that 2nd backup) because hiking in pitch dark is no fun.

2) Handwarmers. Yes, they can help keep you warm, but they serve another important purpose for astrophotography: dew prevention. A lens aimed at the night sky can fog up in humid weather. Use a rubber band to hold a handwarmer against the top-front of your lens barrel. Some of that heat will conduct to the front element and slow or prevent dew collection.

3) Smartphone. I'm on the edge of the "no computer gear rule" with this one, so ignore the countless apps that can help photography. Long exposures, especially hour-long startrails, are boring, sitting there in the dark while my camera collects light. The phone gives me something to read while I wait.
09-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I expect tripod, bag, and remote to be frequently mentioned because they are so important. So, to list some unusual stuff, here are things that I find important for astrophotography and night landscapes.

1) Headlamp. This lets me hike safely before sunrise and after sunset. They can also be used for light painting. Pack a backup, and a backup to the backup (your smartphone flashlight app can be that 2nd backup) because hiking in pitch dark is no fun.

2) Handwarmers. Yes, they can help keep you warm, but they serve another important purpose for astrophotography: dew prevention. A lens aimed at the night sky can fog up in humid weather. Use a rubber band to hold a handwarmer against the top-front of your lens barrel. Some of that heat will conduct to the front element and slow or prevent dew collection.

3) Smartphone. I'm on the edge of the "no computer gear rule" with this one, so ignore the countless apps that can help photography. Long exposures, especially hour-long startrails, are boring, sitting there in the dark while my camera collects light. The phone gives me something to read while I wait.
3 was close to the wire John, but you saved yourself with 1 & 2 I was going to include my headlamp too, as it's essential, but only to me on a few occasions. I'll think on the handwarmer idea, as it's given me food for thought ...

---------- Post added 09-14-17 at 05:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote

My three most essential accessories are:

1. L-Bracket - being able to quickly change from landscape to portrait orientation without having to fiddle around with the tripod head is just sooo much better

2. Rocketblower - I shoot landscapes and change my lenses outside so this is a really helpful tool to get rid of dust that might get inside my camera

3. Sling strap like Peakdesign or Blackrapid - Since I have one I wonder why manufacturers even bother to sell cameras with neck straps. I mean come on who would really want walk around with a K-1 with 24-70 or even 70-200 around your neck for anything longer than two minutes? Well maybe if you're married to a physiotherapist
I'll take a look at L-brackets. Sling straps are coming up often, however I've not found one that is compatible with my quick release plates ...

---------- Post added 09-14-17 at 05:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
1. Tripod
2. Polarizing filter
3. Notebook

Obviously if I were, say, a wedding photographer I'd have a different list.
Aargh, a notebook. Yes, that is or was essential, but now I find that I, sadly, use my phone a bit more. I dictate notes at the same time msg myself with the map location reference.
09-14-2017, 10:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

1 - Generic quick releases mounted to every camera I own incl. point & shoot and tripodable long lenses with matching generic quick releases on 2 Manfrottos and 1 Velbon tripods, a Poloriod Monopod, Acme Table mount mini tripod and an Acme vehicle Window Pod. Release plates & quick releases from the Orient & I have no problem with them at all.
2 - Lens belt with all my lens in W/P Pouches with quick release belt attachments. Take only lenses I intend on using (usually no more than 3). I have an empty pouch for misc. items e.g. Remotes , GPS, specialty filters etc.
3 - Battery grip with spare SD card in storage rack and 3rd spare battery in my pocket.
09-14-2017, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is only one thing that I consider a necessary and useful accessory. It is so useful that everything else pales in comparison.

And what is this one useful accessory you ask?

Money.

Money that is used to buy the fast lenses that I would like to have.

Money to use for travel to get me back to places that I want to photograph and to places I have never been.

I just wish I had the money to do half of what I see the great members of Pentax Forums do and places they go.