Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2017, 04:34 AM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I would not want to sacrifice being able to be hands-free like I can with the crossbody style strap... or did I misunderstand?

A neck strap can always play a wrist strap if necessary. A wrist strap can never be a neck strap.
of course, you know what is best for you I did not mean to imply otherwise

I didn't mean for you to lose the sling/strap

just add a hand grip with ultra plate attached to it already

the hand grip attaches to the upper attachment point and to the ultra plate placed on the bottom of the camera

your chosen sling attaches to the ultra plate

the link I provided shows the set up

scroll through the pictures they provide showing how it works and you will see what I mean

09-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you get a new strap -- I'm interested acquiring a K-1 original strap. I have a "Wanted" post in the marketplace.
09-15-2017, 11:48 AM   #18
Forum Member

I just want one with swiveling hooks! I tried making one but the hooks kept finding a way to come loose.
09-15-2017, 01:59 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Lots of good suggestions here. There is no right and wrong response, enjoy reading works best for each respondent and see what connects with what you want. It can also depend on what lenses you are using. As for me I do not have any huge lenses, my biggest are DA* 200, DA 16-85 and HD 55-300 PLM, the rest of my lenses are small primes. I go out with a good shoulder bag and the camera strap is just extra security since I don't just walk around with the camera alone and just one lens. My preference in straps is the Domke strap with swivel. I bought two, the 1 inch for the small primes and the 1.5 inch for the zooms. The swap instantly with the swivel connectors, they're inexpensive and well made. If you want something with more padding around your neck, check the Optec straps, a lot of people like them also.

09-16-2017, 09:08 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Here is my take on neck straps: 99.99% of my photography is outdoors, and frequently requires a significant hike though various obstacles. A unprotected camera dangling from my neck is a recipe for disaster. So my neck strap, is the strap on a camera bag, and the camera bag's primary purpose is to protect the camera and lens from impacts with the environment when I'm hiking. When I pull the camera out of the bag to take a photo, I only need to protect it from accidental drop, so the best strap is a simple wrist loop. Also, when I remove and replace my camera from the bag a large strap like a neck strap, or something complicated to remove from my wrist is a negative because I'm doing it over and over. So far the joby strap is the best I've found, but I'm not happy with it because the loop is a little too small to slide my hand in and out one handed, and it's designed to close around my wrist, which makes it harder to remove. I don't like leather because it isn't flexible enough to stuff in my camera bag, and I don't want quick release because I just don't trust it. (I've had lots of those clips break in my lifetime.)
09-16-2017, 09:30 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
... so the best strap is a simple wrist loop. I don't like leather because it isn't flexible enough to stuff in my camera bag, and I don't want quick release because I just don't trust it. (I've had lots of those clips break in my lifetime.)
I've been experimenting with a wrist strap - I've been thinking along your lines. I have a concern about slipping with camera attached to wrist, but I guess if I were to stuff camera back in bag after each usage, then I wouldn't be carrying it if I slip. Like you with the neck strap attached to camera it's a pain when putting in/out of bag, and similarly I don't trust those quick release buckles - I tend to secure then with a loop of fishing line, which makes them rather less quick to release, but safe

The leather wrist strap issue is one I'm not sure about. Maybe some are too stiff. I recently received a 4V Design | Best leather camera strap | Leather camera strap | Camera strap | Vintage leather camera strap wrist strap for a present. I love it. It's a soft leather, padded inside, comfortable, easy to get on/off yet it will not slip off my wrist - it fits perfectly. Might be worth taking a look - it's not cheap, sadly.
09-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #22
Veteran Member

The funny thing is the wrist strap I want is basically the one that comes with all the point and shoot cameras--just a simple loop--I just want it slightly heavier duty to deal with the larger camera. Basically something like this, but upgraded for a heavier camera:

Next time I buy something from B&H I may buy that too to see if it's heavy duty enough ( Olympus Adjustable Wrist Strap 202315 B&H Photo Video )

10-10-2017, 04:59 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are two truly good strap systems that I've seen. The first is Op/Tech USA, and I've used it for some years. Modular, not too expensive, well have, works like a charm.

Then there's Peak Design, which replaced my Op/Tech. The clips are smaller, the strap is more versatile and easier to adjust, but basically it does the same things.

However, since discovering Peak Design, I also discovered their Capture Clip. Since I've found out about this nice little tool, I have not used any neck strap more than a few times. I've attached some of their strap anchors (which you can purchase separately to attach to any strap) to a short band to create a hand strap, and that's all.
10-10-2017, 05:10 AM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
. . . However, since discovering Peak Design, I also discovered their Capture Clip. Since I've found out about this nice little tool, I have not used any neck strap more than a few times. I've attached some of their strap anchors (which you can purchase separately to attach to any strap) to a short band to create a hand strap, and that's all.
I wonder how that works if you have a big lens

it would seem fine for a small one

what is your experience
10-10-2017, 05:46 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Peak Design straps and clips are very versatile
With attachments on both tripod brackets and a Slide strap, I have gone trail running with my 645Z and DFA55.
I use a short Leash to a PD attachment as a backup in case my Black Rapid sling strap unscrews itself from my K-1. It's never happened, but I sure don't want to give it a chance.
I use a longer Leash as a sling for my Q7, but also use the attachment points to clip it directly to a backpack shoulder strap.
10-10-2017, 06:46 AM   #26
Forum Member

Going to play devil’s advocate here when I say I strongly dislike any form or strap on my camera. Granted, I don’t do hikes on extremely rough terrain, but I’m frequently on my longboard or going on mild hikes holding my camera in hand. Even when I had my 5D MKII kit, I didn’t have a strap and haven’t used one in years. Just prefer to keep my camera in my hand, ready at all times.

But usually when I go out, I’ve only got one camera and one lens. A roll of film loaded in the camera and a spare roll in my pocket. If I need more than one lens, I’ll grab my messenger bag to hold the other lenses.
10-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 89Y49Si Quote
Going to play devil’s advocate here when I say I strongly dislike any form or strap on my camera.
That's the point of the Capture clip

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I wonder how that works if you have a big lens

it would seem fine for a small one

what is your experience
On a big lens it might work if you also use the ProPad accessory that can be used with the capture clip (makes the attachment point sturdier). Otherwise, it's not an ideal match for, say, a 60-250 or anything similar. If the Capture Clip is fixed to a very sturdy belt or strap, it could be possible to use the tripod foot of the lens as the attachment point.

For my part, when using the 60-250 I use the Slide Strap. Since with that lens I prefer to attach the strap to the lens' foot, I modified the anchor points of the strap (normally it requires two attachment points, which is fine for stability but means you have to support the lens while you remove the two anchor clips). Here's what I did, with extra clips:

10-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I prefer a sling strap myself, and often hold the camera so it doesn't bounce too much. This keeps it out of the way, and distributes weight on the shoulder.

A long neck strap combined with a hand strap might be useful, though. Perhaps combined with a quick-release mechanism?
10-10-2017, 01:19 PM   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I prefer a sling strap myself, and often hold the camera so it doesn't bounce too much. This keeps it out of the way, and distributes weight on the shoulder.

A long neck strap combined with a hand strap might be useful, though. Perhaps combined with a quick-release mechanism?
that is what I use

Joby Ultrafit Hand Strap and Ultra Plate + Optech USA Utility Strap
10-10-2017, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@normhead I was taught in HS Photojournalism, ďWhen a camera is out of a camera bag a neck strap shall be looped around a neck.Ē Period. Violation was grounds for immediate dismissal, Single Sanction, First Occurrence.

I donít even think about it. The enclosed strap is attached to a new camera immediately and either looped around the left hand or over the neck when shooting. The camera goes back in the bag if moving more than a few steps. Itís a habit.

Camera is immediately removed from tripod* when not actively shooting and returned to the neck or bag. Itís a habit.

* QR plates are a great convenience.