Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2008, 07:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Asahi Pentax Auto Bellows - "Auto?"

I have an Asahi Pentax Auto Bellows for screwmount. What is so auto about it? In the brief time that I've played with it, it seems quite manual to me.

08-23-2008, 07:11 AM   #2
Banned

the 'Auto' refers to the diaphragm on the mount for open aperture metering on fully automatic diaphragm Takumar lenses (the later Takumars) it also refers to the same thing with the Auto bellows for K mount. I have an Auto bellows-M and love it very much, great fun and superb for macro with my smc-M 50mm 1.7
08-23-2008, 07:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So....does that mean that when the shutter is depressed the lens stops down then re-opens -- even with the bellows?
08-23-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
I have an Asahi Pentax Auto Bellows for screwmount. What is so auto about it? In the brief time that I've played with it, it seems quite manual to me.
Essentially, there is nothing auto about it.

08-23-2008, 08:35 AM   #5
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You must use a cable release attached to the lens mount to close/open the diaphragm.

I the old days you used a double cable release, one end screwed into the camera, the other into the lens mount on the bellows unit. Hence "auto" - when you release the camera with the cable release, the lens would stop down and back up.

The DSLR's are not compatible with such a cable release.
08-23-2008, 10:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah. MAkes sense. I just got my m42-to-K adapter in the mail yesterday, so I'll play with it this weekend with my k10D. I just stop the lens down, spot meter & shoot. I took some test shots with a Spotmatic & 135/3.5 and was surpirsed that everything seemed to work well (all of that gear was previously untested).
08-23-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The auto stopdown, unfortunately, doesn't work in the digital age. But it's good news if you still use screw mount film bodies.

I can't find my set though
08-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #8
Banned

I don't own the double cable release either not that its of any use now, but you can use a single cable release. it comes in handy with a tripod. you can quickly stop down the lens to check focus and DOF for adjustments and then stop it down and lock it, meter the light (or set it to Av once its locked) then depress the shutter. (as you can see in the photo) for hand holding you can use the shutter button on the bellows itself for the same thing and I find it rather easy to quickly stop it down for checks then rotate it slightly to lock it and meter the light. I don't know if the older m42 bellows have the same thing but I would assume so. I don't see why pentax doesn't make a camera with a shutter that allows for use of a mechanical cable release, it would be just as easy to implement with digital as it is for a film camera...

Last edited by séamuis; 08-25-2008 at 08:14 AM.
08-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Excellent -- thanks for the explanation & photo. I'll have to play with it.
08-27-2008, 01:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Essentially, there is nothing auto about it.
The diaphragm is.

Edit: Its ironic that I have the canon FD version of this with double cable release on my desk at work.
08-27-2008, 01:37 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I don't own the double cable release either...

OOOO...But you do own a K-mount auto-bellows! Very, very nice.

Steve
08-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
the 'Auto' refers to the diaphragm on the mount for open aperture metering on fully automatic diaphragm Takumar lenses (the later Takumars) it also refers to the same thing with the Auto bellows for K mount. I have an Auto bellows-M and love it very much, great fun and superb for macro with my smc-M 50mm 1.7
Do the the Auto Bellows actually allow full aperture metering? I thought they were simply compatible with Super Takumars and later in terms of the auto diaphragm. It looks to me based on various manuals that event the Bellows K required stop-down metering and did not maintain a linkage sufficient for open aperture metering.

Asahi Pentax MX Manual states "Use of other K Series accessories - standard Extension Tube Set K, Helicoid Extension Tube K, Auto-Bellows K and Bellows Unit K - requires stop-down metering. Whenever any one of these is used between the camera body and an SMC Pentax lens, the stopdown metering system must be used."

woof!

Last edited by woof; 08-27-2008 at 02:22 PM.
08-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Do the the Auto Bellows actually allow full aperture metering? I thought they were simply compatible with Super Takumars and later in terms of the auto diaphragm. It looks to me based on various manuals that event the Bellows K required stop-down metering and did not maintain a linkage sufficient for open aperture metering.

Asahi Pentax MX Manual states "Use of other K Series accessories - standard Extension Tube Set K, Helicoid Extension Tube K, Auto-Bellows K and Bellows Unit K - requires stop-down metering. Whenever any one of these is used between the camera body and an SMC Pentax lens, the stopdown metering system must be used."

woof!
No. What happens is the double cable works in 2 stages. The first closes the aperture to the selected setting and then releases the shutter. This is true even for the Canon FD Auto bellows setup. I haven't used a Pentax K setup and can't specifically say much about it.
08-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote

woof!
No, you don't get open-aperture metering. You do get open-aperture focusing!

Steve
08-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No, you don't get open-aperture metering. You do get open-aperture focusing!
Didn't think so... THIS confused me:

>> the 'Auto' refers to the diaphragm on the mount for open aperture metering on
>> fully automatic diaphragm Takumar lenses

Probably just me. In truth, simply remove all references to open aperture as irrelevant, especially where Super Takumars are concerned. Make it...

>> the 'Auto' refers to the diaphragm... on fully automatic diaphragm Takumar
>> lenses

Thanks. Great thread. Probably saved me from doing something stupid like purchasing an auto bellows in mint condition... without the release cables. Heh.

woof!