Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2017, 11:39 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Recommend me some Holster/toploading cases.

I'm looking for a holster case to carry just my K70 and an attached lens that's 5 inches long.

I'd like it to have a zipper and a snap or velcro closure, so I can have it lightly secured for fast camera removal, or zip it to keep dust out.
Removal preferably padded shoulder strap.
Belt loop.

There don't seem to be many holster cases that have a snap or velcro.

Thanks for any help.

10-01-2017, 12:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Many of the holsters I've seen which sport a release buckle - not sure if you meant that or a(some) proper snap(s) fastener(s), including mine, have them on the opposite side of the aperture, and their purpose is to keep the holster open with the tension of a short adjustable belt.

So no, sorry, I'm not aware of any holster that has both a zipper and another mean of closing the bag.
10-01-2017, 05:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not a classic toploader but versatile enough to sole your problem and give you additional carrying options. I have a Domke F-5XB. It's a shoulder bag I use mostly with a K-5II, Limited attached and two additional Limited's. Remove the Velcro dividers and you have a horizontal holster that will fit a K-5II and a lens that is 5" long. It also can be worn as a belt bag. The RuggedWear version is waterproof too! When it comes to functional, exceptionally well designed camera bags that last forever, there are few bags that outshine Domke (except perhaps Billingham).

The Domke has a zipper top and a flap with velcro.

Check it out as an option...
Domke F-5XB Medium Shoulder And Belt Bag RuggedWear Brown - 700-52A

Last edited by Saltwater Images; 10-01-2017 at 06:39 PM.
10-01-2017, 06:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used a Case Logic SLRC-201 SLR Zoom Holster for about 10 years, it is fantastic for my needs.

10-01-2017, 08:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I've used a Case Logic SLRC-201 SLR Zoom Holster for about 10 years, it is fantastic for my needs.
Hi Rob, Is the hammock in that case sewn in place on both sides, or can it be folded down on one side?
10-01-2017, 02:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Some may laugh but I use Bell Messenger Bag with Hydration pack for my camera with one lens attached and other in soft padded case. Few small things also fit in the bag like remote shutter release, microfiber cloth and rocket blower. If I go for hiking hydration pack is handy and I can convert the bag to backpack as well if, longer hike. When bike riding is also excellent as it does not move around, thanks to belt loop...

I do not remember the model, but when I looked online it looks like this one Bell Tanker 800 Hydration Messenger Bag, Black - Walmart.com
10-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have cases of various kinds, most have buckle + zipper, one has a snap mechanism. My experience: the snap is quicker to open, but is fussy to close because it's much harder to align the pin-and-hole than to push together the two parts of the ubiquitous modern buckle mechanism.
10-02-2017, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Hi Rob, Is the hammock in that case sewn in place on both sides, or can it be folded down on one side?
In the case I own the is no hammock, it is tapered so the bod of the camear can't sink down to rest on the lens, also there is a strengthened bottom for rigidity and shock resistance.