Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2017, 10:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Variable ND Filter for 49mm Lenses

Hello everyone, Iíve spend the last couple of weeks looking for a variable nd filter for my legacy glass. So far, I havenít been able to find much. I have an 82mm filter that, through the use of a lot of step up rings, I was able to use, but there has to be a better way.

Has anyone found a good nd filter I can use on my 55 f1.8 and 35 f2 lenses?

10-08-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Hello everyone, Iíve spend the last couple of weeks looking for a variable nd filter for my legacy glass. So far, I havenít been able to find much. I have an 82mm filter that, through the use of a lot of step up rings, I was able to use, but there has to be a better way.

If you find nothing else you might try stacking a couple polarizing filters. Turning one gives a variable ND effect. Adds lots of glass is downside.
10-08-2017, 11:21 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Try a filter system like Lee. You buy one filter holder and filters then use adapter rings depending on the filter thread of your lenses. Step-up filter rings will work if you have many different filter thread sizes
10-08-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote

Not sure if this is the number of stops you want, but I came across one here:

VU Sion 49mm Variable ND Filter - 0.3 to 1.5 (1 to 5 stops) VSNDV49

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have also looked at nd filters recently and found that the variable nd filters are kinda expensive. Until now i bought a 3 stop and a 10 stop for half the price of a good nd filter. I plan on adding a 5 stop in the future and that will offer quite a flexiblity. With two filters, if you group them right, you can have a nice set.
10-08-2017, 07:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
for 49mm I bought 3 ND and a polarizer and a neat Tiffen filter pouch to hold them.
10-08-2017, 08:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm taking a risk and buying this filter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008VTILXA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?t...&ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reviews are mixed (different sites), but I really don't see myself using the filter too much. The legacy glass is what I use for my fun stuff. If it doesn't work out, I always have a much higher quality filter that I can use with step up rings until I find something that works well. I'll let you guys know how it works when I get it. Should be here in a week or two.

10-08-2017, 08:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you heard of HaiDa filter from chins ? try google on it and you'll see many people think it's good.
I did have the 77 and 62mm ND 3.0 filter from HaiDa and I gave them 75~80 out of 100.
They have 49mm ND filter.
<p>Haida, Believe We Can...</p>