Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2017, 05:23 PM   #1
Forum Member

Height of Slik Pro 330DX without center column

If any one has Slik Pro 330DX, please let me know the HEIGHT without center column, excluding head.
I am not able to find this info on their website. They give max height with center column.

This will help decide between 330DX and 500DX.
I already have 700DX and Slik 614 CF.
700dx is too heavy for hiking trail, so I have been using Slik 614 CF. Legs use screw-type locking system and it takes more time to load and unload.

Thanks

10-11-2017, 08:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I only have a 700DX which I like very much, but just wanted to mention how annoying it is to me too to not have standardized measurements readily available from all the manufacturers. Sometimes you can't tell if a manufacturer includes center columns or even heads in the case of models packaged with a head.

If I had to guess the answer it would be "not enough."
10-11-2017, 10:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
If any one has Slik Pro 330DX, please let me know the HEIGHT without center column, excluding head.
I am not able to find this info on their website. They give max height with center column.
I know it's 49" without the center column extended, so excluding the head, approximately 44".
10-11-2017, 10:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own the Pro 330 DX.

Height to top of spider: 114.5 cm
Height to top of platform with center column installed at lowest position: 115 cm
Height to top of platform with short center column installed at highest position: 123.5 cm

I generally use mine with the short center column installed with a Manfrotto 494 ballhead.

For my articles on "The Magic Tripod" on Hin's Blog:

Hin's Photo Corner: The Magic Tripod
Hin's Photo Corner: Magic Tripod, Part II

One of the comments on those posts suggested that there is a durability problem with that person's Slik. FWIW, my Pro 330DX has been my travel and hiking tripod for some seven years now and I remain quite pleased. The only change I have made during that time is addition of a DAC-X1 Arca-Swiss QR clamp to allow use with my K-3 without removing its QR plate.* So far, there have been no problems with loose parts, leg slippage, or failure of any parts. I have gotten my money's worth.

Steve

* have used the 330DX with the K10D and K-3 and all of my 35mm SLRs mated to all but my heaviest lenses.

10-13-2017, 09:04 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Guys. I had sent email to SLIK asking for height of few models. Here is their response. They also said 46".for 330DX

Slik 330DX 46"
Slik 723CF 51"
Slik 823CF 53"

I prefer the height to be 51" or 52". I do not mind bending when taking regular shots, but when doing multi-row panorama it is somewhat hard to bend, especially when shooting the upper row of panorama.

I have not had any issues with SLiK tripods. Take for example 614 CF. It is light 1.8lbs, good for hiking. It looks fragile. I mount Pentax f2.8 70-200mm on L-clamp for panorama, it can handle.