Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2017, 04:37 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Screw on Lens Caps?

Anyone else a fan of metal, screw on lens caps? I am - especially after a little incident with my DA 200. I got out of that with just a shattered UV filter. It made me realize that a lens cap should not just jump ship at the first sign of trouble but stay and protect the homeland I'm switching to metal, screw on caps for all my more valuable lens - if its good enough for the Pentax Limiteds it's good enough for a Distagon!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
10-30-2017, 05:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My favorite for any 37mm size is using a Fujifilm 35mm film canister cap for speed. This also works perfectly with a 40mm Limited pancake with the lens hood attached.

Last edited by Alex645; 03-01-2018 at 12:07 PM.
10-30-2017, 05:21 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Wouldn't those screw-in caps be more likely to dent or damage the filter threads if impacted from the front? I'd personally only use them on top of filters.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-30-2017, 05:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I agree with Adam, with a screw in lens cap the filter threads could be damaged easily and in such a way as to make removing the damaged cap without incurring additional damage impossible. Plastic lens caps do just fine, just make sure they are seated properly. They shouldn't spring out at the first sign of trouble.

10-30-2017, 05:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Plastic lens caps do just fine, just make sure they are seated properly. They shouldn't spring out at the first sign of trouble.
The classic Zeiss lenses are great, but their OEM caps are a disgrace.
The 67mm cap from a Tamron 17-50 works much better on my ZK 50/2.
10-30-2017, 05:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The classic Zeiss lenses are great, but their OEM caps are a disgrace.
I agree, not all lens caps are equal. I have some of the old Pentax branded lens caps, they grip the filter threads strongly. I can pick up my SMCP-K 50mm f/1.2 by the cap without feat of it falling. Most pinchie lens caps just pop out all to easily.
10-30-2017, 06:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I like the screw on cap on my DA 15. I can let the camera bounce around a bit with the neck strap and don't have to worry about the cap falling off. I'm sure there could be impact situations that are made worse by any type of a cap or lack thereof depending on the situation but for the most part I think the screw on cap is a safe bet.

The two worst caps in my experience were found on the FA43 with the felt that stayed on by friction, and the original Sigma cap that my 18-50 came with. It's in the bottom of a waterfall now and I replaced it with an aftermarket pinch cap that holds quite well.

10-30-2017, 07:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I found out the newer design Pentax plastic cap like those used on many DA lens [thicker] is not good and it worse than 99c eBay cap. I keep losing it while walking. But the older (thin) cap which is used in most FA lens is better. I would say, a lot betters, It won’t jump off (that easy) and it looks somewhat better too.
To me the best thing to protect the glass is a hood.
Talk about hood, I am not a big fan of DA15 hood. Retractable hood is a good idea, but it is "too easy" to be retracted. They should have redesigned the internal part a bit to allow the cylinder to be locked in place by twisting to its side.

I also wish Pentax make retangular metal hood for wide angle lenses.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 10-30-2017 at 07:42 PM.
10-30-2017, 07:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
I also wish Pentax make retangular metal hood for wide angle lenses.
At best you will end up with a squircle shaped hood.
10-30-2017, 10:20 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I replaced my da 15 hood as soon as possible with a pinch cap. The speed of putting screw on caps on and off is either too much of a pain and the cap says off longer than normal, or an impediment to a quick shot, or both.
10-30-2017, 10:24 PM   #11
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I prefer the screw on caps, and I don't think they would mess up the threads. The only problem I have had was a minor push on the pinch on lens cap can/did (several times) jam it into filter threads--making it hard to remove. The threaded cap fixed this, and it is also more secure as regards preventing dust to get in.

In any event, with expensive/dear lenses a filter ring with the glass removed, provides added protection to the lens threads.
10-30-2017, 10:49 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I prefer the screw on caps, and I don't think they would mess up the threads.
Just wait until you get sand or fine dust in there. Or when the lens barrel has been in the sun for a while and the metal lens cap heats up and expands faster than the plastic around it and the whole thing binds.
10-31-2017, 02:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

On the HD DA 40 the screw cap works well as the filter is between the lens and hood with the cap attaching to the hood. On the HD DA 15 the screw cap looks nice but is a pain to shoot with as it screws into the filter. On the HD DA 15 It was so frustrating - I bought a 49mm clip on generic cap - this has proved to be better for my practical use.
10-31-2017, 03:48 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

my big problem is on the other end of the lens

somehow I got hold of some press on " end " caps which do not cover all of the electronic contacts on the mount end of lens.

I need to find a source for " locking " end caps or even " press on " end caps that will cover all of the k mount and the electronic contacts.

any one got recommendations?

please post or send me a pm

thanks
10-31-2017, 05:50 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Wouldn't those screw-in caps be more likely to dent or damage the filter threads if impacted from the front? I'd personally only use them on top of filters.
My thought exactly. I'd rather have a plastic, clipped lens cap which can either shatter or jump out, taking some of the shock's energy with it along the way.

It's the same with modern cars : they're meant to absorb energy so you don't have to.