Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2017, 12:01 PM   #1

Battery Tray For Pentax ME-II

I located and bought a Winder ME-II to use on my Super Program.

The winder arrived, but the battery tray wouldn't remain seated with batteries in it. Found a parts-only winder on eBay to get its tray ($1.00). It arrived today, and I tried the tray on my working winder. It won't seat, either. In fact, the end tab broke when I closed the tray into place. Batteries exert enough pressure to keep the tray from staying seated. I noticed that the end tab flexed a great deal on both trays, and it seems this is the issue. The tray from the winder on my Program Plus will remain seated. There doesn't appear to be a secondary seating lock.

I don't want to keep looking for winders with the same problem.

Has anyone else had this problem, and did you come up with a solution more permanent than the original?

Thanks.

11-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I suggest a thick rubber band, and yes I am being serious
11-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I suggest a thick rubber band, and yes I am being serious
Thanks, and I can appreciate your solution.

This looks like a very bad design, exacerbated by the need to change out batteries. I have a couple of older Nikon drives MD-12's, and they're really built well.

I found a dead motor drive, so maybe I'll take it to a local repair shop, and see if they can revive it. It's a much sturdier design.
11-03-2017, 06:28 AM   #4

The plastic latch is the weak point on the MEII winder. It is difficult to find one that is not broken. I built a replacement out of a piece of brass stock that I cut down to size. It was somewhat successful, but ended up going the rubber ban route myself. I eventually got the motor drive A which is a lot heavier, but also has the extra controls for shooting vertically. Maybe use a three d printer to make a new latch?

Jim