Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Katz Eye for K100D

I just recently learned of the Katz Eye screen. Since I use manual focus lenses extensively it seems to be just the sort of thing I need. I did a search on the forum and turned up a comment about its effect on center spot metering, but otherwise nothing of note.

Does anyone have any experience with the product in a K100D? Does anyone know if installing one is something the average user could accomplish himself? What sort of tools would be required?

Any help much appreciated.

02-21-2007, 09:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/2044-katzeye-scree...able-k10d.html

might wanna read there and reply for updates........
02-21-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Mike, The Katzeye has been extensively discussed over at the "other" forum, DPR. You might want to check out this thread, and the links the poster provides. That should answer all your questions.
Re: Is a KatzEye required for those using manual focus?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

NaCl(and it's not true that Darth Vader lives there...he just visits from time to time )H2O
02-21-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Mike
I've had Katz Eyes on My DS bodies, and have loved them. The effect on exposure was about +1/3EV in CW or Matrix mode, which worked out well as both MY DS bodies under exposed by about 1/2 a stop. Unfortunately spot metering went out the window with these screens. I Rarely used spot with the DS so it was not an issue.

I've decided not to install one on my K10D because I find I use spot metering more often, so it is more of and issue now.

02-21-2007, 04:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

k100d's dont have interchangeable screens, you might have to send it out and have it replaced....
02-22-2007, 03:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the pointers, everyone.

I think I will most likely pursue installing a Katz Eye sometime in the next few months. At some point my screen is going to have to come out anyway in order to remove a big fleck of something that somehow got on top of it. Shape and size of a small fish scale or something. Fortunately it is on the edge, so it is merely an annoyance and not a hindrance.

Now I just have to track down info on do-it-yourself screen removal and replacement....