Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2017, 12:18 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Tripod Strap and Quick Fliplock for Arca Swiss

Looking for comments/suggestions on two specific items;

1) Tripod Straps. I'm looking to purchase a very light Tripod, it's likely to weigh less than 2lb! I will already have a shoulder style bag/sling so having a tripod in the bag itself or on its own shoulder sling bag/case is not an option, it needs to be attached to my person for quicker removal and set up. I will have a proper utility belt for photography and the tripod could easily be clipped onto the belt, but I'm just wondering if there are systems out there already that have something for the thigh/leg to help brace and keep the tripod from sway around? Most tripod straps I have googled seem to be shoulder systems.

2) Looking for feedback and impressions on 'Fliplock' systems for Arca Swiss Clamps. Currently I am looking to replace a particular head on a tripod and my experience to date with the clamp is the classic screw, I much prefer the idea of the fliplock but not really if the actual set up time (clamping and releasing) is really about the same time or convenience as screwing, I don't really want to pay $100 more for something that saves 0.7secs lol, if it is genuinely received as being a good few seconds of fluidity then that might be worth it, as well as if the overall head is lighter than a clamp with screw;

Cheers!

Bruce

11-05-2017, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have both. Flip lock is very quick. Minimal adjustments from time to time. Not quite as sturdy as the standard screw type for very heavy combos.
11-05-2017, 12:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have both. Flip lock is very quick. Minimal adjustments from time to time. Not quite as sturdy as the standard screw type for very heavy combos.
I doubt I'll have anything heavier than a K-1+DFA 100mm attached. Thanks for the feedback.
11-05-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I saw a guy walking around with a tripod in one of these turned around on his back. I thought it was a decent idea, he could use it to carry gear to where he set up then could use it to keep his hands warm while he waited for the wildlife.

Men's PTH® Handwarmer | Under Armour US

11-05-2017, 01:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've tried the flip lock thing on a couple of tripods though not Arca-Swiss. In general I did not like them, unless you were careful they would come loose had that happen a couple of times. I much prefer the standard screw type lock.

Of course different brands and designs might be different. Just check it carefully before committing to a flip lock.
11-05-2017, 03:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Note the Small slider lever in the lock lever. You have to slide that before you can flip the lock open. This head seems to stay reasonably tight for a good number of days, but I recheck daily. (Sunwayfoto head)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XT1030  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
XT1030  Photo 
11-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

See the attached picture for strap idea.
There is one more simple idea where tripod can be hooked to loop-handle of backpack. I was able to remove the tripod and put it back without removing backpack. But the catch is tripod has to be lighter. I can not do that with my current tripod. It worked well with my previous tripod Slik 614-CF (1.8lb). These are not ready made ideas and needs some playing around.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-05-2017, 06:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
I saw a guy walking around with a tripod in one of these turned around on his back. I thought it was a decent idea, he could use it to carry gear to where he set up then could use it to keep his hands warm while he waited for the wildlife.

Men's PTH® Handwarmer | Under Armour US
Not a bad idea at all. I love an unintended use for an item such as this. I'm not sure how much it would be utilised in Australia, but UK or some other colder harsher environment a hand warmer is a serious consideration for photography. It looks like he killed two birds with one stone incorporating this idea!

Still.. for me it's another shoulder strap item, and I'm wanting to keep that clear for my main swing bag, I could double up but I have a feeling that will get old real quick.
I tried buckling my 3.6lb tripod to my belt, weight wise it was not an issue, it was just its constant swaying and bashing that was an annoyance. I can't help feel if there was a way to anchor it (and a tripod weighing half that amount) to the side of the body that would actually not intrude too much and give quickest access.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I've tried the flip lock thing on a couple of tripods though not Arca-Swiss. In general I did not like them, unless you were careful they would come loose had that happen a couple of times. I much prefer the standard screw type lock.

Of course different brands and designs might be different. Just check it carefully before committing to a flip lock.
Same, my experience was with a cheap plastic tripod however, the actual let down piece was the plastic plate, it wouldn't tighten very well and the whole frame of the tripod generally shook. I could see the system work fine if engineered well and manufactured properly.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Note the Small slider lever in the lock lever. You have to slide that before you can flip the lock open. This head seems to stay reasonably tight for a good number of days, but I recheck daily. (Sunwayfoto head)
Thanks for this, informative. Yes a few of them seem to have an additional system embedded in the actual main lever. In practice do you find it cumbersome or annoying? Are you aware exactly what fliplock system you have pictured here?

Cheers once again.

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
See the attached picture for strap idea.
There is one more simple idea where tripod can be hooked to loop-handle of backpack. I was able to remove the tripod and put it back without removing backpack. But the catch is tripod has to be lighter. I can not do that with my current tripod. It worked well with my previous tripod Slik 614-CF (1.8lb). These are not ready made ideas and needs some playing around.

Thanks once again. It maybe that I can anchor my tripod to be (yet to actually settle on a light framed 'pod) to my sling shoulder of slingbag (at the lower portion of the strap where it meets the waist line), will see. All i know is I want it to be readily accessed, not in the backpack itself, easily and quickly deployed. I am already wearing a utility belt full of second body cameras and pouches for lens, so thought I should perhaps make use of this accessory.
11-05-2017, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a sunwayfoto head. Db-36TR. I find it super easy to use.
11-06-2017, 06:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
1) Tripod Straps. I'm looking to purchase a very light Tripod, it's likely to weigh less than 2lb!
It's probably the Sirui T-025X then.

I wear mine either on the backpack or attached to my belt with the supplied carabiner. It's really that light and small.

If you DO want a strap, I'd simply use elastic velcro bands and loop them somewhere on your backpack's hip strap.
11-06-2017, 10:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Bruce the hand warmer goes around your waist not shoulder. Wear the warmer on your back instead of your stomach and slide the tripod in horizontally, no shoulder needed.

But a hand warmer is something you don’t need down there, not sure if you’re are lucky or if you’re missing out. I love the snow and winter.
11-06-2017, 09:54 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It's probably the Sirui T-025X then.

I wear mine either on the backpack or attached to my belt with the supplied carabiner. It's really that light and small.

If you DO want a strap, I'd simply use elastic velcro bands and loop them somewhere on your backpack's hip strap.
Yes either that or this one (seems lighter and cheaper); Slik Sprint Mini II Tripod with SBH-100DQ Ball Head 611-806 B&H

Then perhaps replace that head. I actually already own a sturdy $299 tripod, this would be a second tripod for certain excursions and I think I actually prefer clips than the twisties.

Velcro bands is an awesum idea, I actually have a few of them, that might work!

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Bruce the hand warmer goes around your waist not shoulder. Wear the warmer on your back instead of your stomach and slide the tripod in horizontally, no shoulder needed.

But a hand warmer is something you don’t need down there, not sure if you’re are lucky or if you’re missing out. I love the snow and winter.
Ah yes, I was thinking it would need to be shoulder because I would already be wearing a holster slinger and camera utility belt, but you never know it might work. There are some colder moments down under, these shots taken earlier this year!
11-07-2017, 06:08 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Yes either that or this one (seems lighter and cheaper); Slik Sprint Mini II Tripod with SBH-100DQ Ball Head 611-806 B&H
The Slik looks ok. It's longer when folded and I don't think I like the look of the head, but Slik has a good reputation. The T-025X will carry a heavier load based on the specs.

Then perhaps replace that head.
The head on the Sirui is actually very good. I replaced it with the Sirui K10x, which is a bit stiffer (good for macro) and has a friction adjustment. However, be aware that with these minuscule tripods, having a larger head can be a problem, it can prevent the legs from closing all the way (they'll be at an angle). the K10x is the largest which can fit on the T-025x.

I think I actually prefer clips than the twisties.
I thought so before. Now that I've used twisties I'm indifferent. With the Sirui (probably others as well) you can loosen all the sections at once. And twisting by a quarter turn is not longer than flipping a lever.
11-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The Slik looks ok. It's longer when folded and I don't think I like the look of the head, but Slik has a good reputation. The T-025X will carry a heavier load based on the specs.

The head on the Sirui is actually very good. I replaced it with the Sirui K10x, which is a bit stiffer (good for macro) and has a friction adjustment. However, be aware that with these minuscule tripods, having a larger head can be a problem, it can prevent the legs from closing all the way (they'll be at an angle). the K10x is the largest which can fit on the T-025x.

I thought so before. Now that I've used twisties I'm indifferent. With the Sirui (probably others as well) you can loosen all the sections at once. And twisting by a quarter turn is not longer than flipping a lever.
This tripod is really intended just for the KP and a DA15mm. Anything more than that and I can utilise my more sturdy and expensive Promaster tripod that handles the K-1 + 100mm DFA (my heaviest setup) with ease.

I'm thinking of adding this head to the cart also and then swapping the head off the Slik, just trying to figure out if it fits or not... Benro IN00 Single Action Ball Head IN00 B&H Photo Video
11-07-2017, 01:32 PM   #15
Pentaxian

This tripod is really intended just for the KP and a DA15mm. Anything more than that and I can utilise my more sturdy and expensive Promaster tripod that handles the K-1 + 100mm DFA (my heaviest setup) with ease.
That's true until you find out how cool it is to have a tripod so light and compact. If you're like me that is