Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2017, 07:05 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In praise of a cheap third party battery.

Confession time.

To cut a long story short I recently returned from a 6 week holiday in Europe cruising the Danube, Main and Rhine rivers between Budapest and Amsterdam followed by trains across France, Switzerland and Italy. This journey was book-ended by stopovers at Singapore coming and going from Australia.

Imaging my shock on finding I had only one old, cheap, off market, battery in the camera.(K5 IIs) My two original Pentax batteries were safely at home, as was the battery grip. I had made an extensive list of requirements, lenses, batteries, SD cards etc for the trip but a last minute decision to take a back pack rather than a shoulder bag, resulted in me forgetting to pack the spare batteries. At least I had the charger.

Some 5000 shots later, the no name battery was still going strong. On a number of occasions, the camera was showing low battery warnings but by resisting the temptation to view images, lowering display brightness, reducing display time and even switching off the camera between shots, it never once let me down.

The best battery in the world is the one you have with you.

11-10-2017, 07:28 PM   #2
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
100% agree with you there Bruce. Very glad to hear your trip was a success, looking forward to seeing some of your pix mate.
11-10-2017, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Same for camera and lens - amen!
11-10-2017, 09:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done on conserving battery so well! I certainly have never managed to clock up those sort of numbers on a charge but its great to know its possible if you get caught out (thanks for the tips).

I have nothing but a positive experience with my after market batteries too. They perform well. Have used them for years on my K-5 and K-01.
I must admit I have avoided using them in my K-1 though until the K-1 is out of its warranty period.

11-11-2017, 04:29 AM   #5

My experience of third party batteries has been better than Pentax's own. I have never had a problem with the official Pentax batteries but the third party ones usually have a higher energy capacity and cost from a quarter to a third of the price of the official Pentax battery. All but one I bought also held a charge well if left in storage for a while.
11-11-2017, 06:52 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I have them all mixed together with my Pentax batteries and really, I don't bother checking to see which is which. There's no functional difference as far as I can tell.
11-11-2017, 09:05 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Confession time.

To cut a long story short I recently returned from a 6 week holiday in Europe cruising the Danube, Main and Rhine rivers between Budapest and Amsterdam followed by trains across France, Switzerland and Italy. This journey was book-ended by stopovers at Singapore coming and going from Australia.

Imaging my shock on finding I had only one old, cheap, off market, battery in the camera.(K5 IIs) My two original Pentax batteries were safely at home, as was the battery grip. I had made an extensive list of requirements, lenses, batteries, SD cards etc for the trip but a last minute decision to take a back pack rather than a shoulder bag, resulted in me forgetting to pack the spare batteries. At least I had the charger.

Some 5000 shots later, the no name battery was still going strong. On a number of occasions, the camera was showing low battery warnings but by resisting the temptation to view images, lowering display brightness, reducing display time and even switching off the camera between shots, it never once let me down.

Can you tell us the brand you are using
GB

11-11-2017, 10:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have to agree. I mostly use generic batteries in the cameras that don't take AA's. They seem to work just fine. Truth be told Bruce, you probably did that battery a favor by giving it a good workout.
11-14-2017, 07:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure it was a trip of a lifetime and therefore well-documented. Obviously your battery and other gear performed admirably.
But when I think of having to pore over 5000 digital images I am again reminded how thankful I am to remain a film photographer.

Chris
11-14-2017, 08:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i went on a trip with everything + a battery chager But I forgot the battery. I was like... why I feel the camera is a little light today!
11-14-2017, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
i went on a trip with everything + a battery chager But I forgot the battery. I was like... why I feel the camera is a little light today!
That's so aggravating. Been there at least once myself.