Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Don't you have glass fiber in your area / WiFi in your home for high speed data transmission? With USB you can even add a network card to your smartphone.

Seems like you have the chance to be the first to try out and share your experience with others
Australia now ranked #55 in the... - Scorptec Computers | Facebook

heh.

At home I wouldn't even bother with any of this, this is purely thinking ahead for future trips away from home and in the field backing up.

01-12-2018, 09:40 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Australia now ranked #55 in the... - Scorptec Computers | Facebook

heh.

At home I wouldn't even bother with any of this, this is purely thinking ahead for future trips away from home and in the field backing up.
Holy Cow!
You barely beat a lot of very under developed countries Bruce.
I live in the sticks but I can at least get 50 Meg DSL. 1 Up though so very ADSL. Soon I will have wireless internet from the local cell towers available so maybe there will be price competition. The old luddites refused to allow cable in to town 12 years ago and now the phone company is our only choice.
I see why the cloud isn't an answer for your photo storage needs.
5 Days Ago   #48
Pentaxian

I must admit, I have no clue how fast my Internet connection is... the *@#& provider keeps increasing the speed!
But it can't be faster than 1Gbps, I think...
1 Day Ago   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well... looks like I am going to be a guinea pig of sorts. I've just ordered (from B&H) some camera type accessories and whilst at it a $250 LG G5 phone and a small USB Type C 3.0 OTG cable ($5).

As I said earlier, I am currently looking for a replacement handset (currently putting up with an old Lumia 650 which is driving me nuts at times). I did a hunt/search on GSMArena for handsets that have USB Type C 3.0/3.1 as well as having the necessary 4G bands that I need for Australia, and the LG G5 seemed to be cheapest handset I could find that had these features. You have to be a little careful, lots of handsets use USB Type C but not all are 3.0.

The cable I found had one review on B&H that said it worked well with his LG G5, which gave me some added confidence.

Surprisingly there is not a lot of help or information out there for someone attempting to do what I was on about earlier (namely eject the SD card from their camera, put in a SD Card reader and connect to phone and transfer), I still have no idea what speeds to expect from doing this :S

But at the end of the day the LG G5 seemed like a decent handset, has been well received and I'm also intrigued over some of the 'addons' it can take.

Once I locate a suitably decent 128gb micro sd card I shall do some tests and report my findings back here.

21 Hours Ago   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I found another option that looks pretty good.
https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Wireless-Portable-Companion-Streamer/dp/B016...ums-20&ie=UTF8

It does some things I don't care that much about but will connect your SD card to a USB storage device and let you backup your files without a PC (but you do need a phone or tablet).
It's cheap so I think I'll get one and be the guinea pig for that.
15 Hours Ago   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I found another option that looks pretty good.
amazon.com: RAVPower FileHub Plus, Wireless Travel Router, SD Card Reader USB Portable Hard Drive Companion, DLNA NAS Sharing Media Streamer 6000mAh External Battery Pack: Computers & Accessories?tag=pentaxforums-20&

It does some things I don't care that much about but will connect your SD card to a USB storage device and let you backup your files without a PC (but you do need a phone or tablet).
It's cheap so I think I'll get one and be the guinea pig for that.
Excellent, looks good. Yeh lets report our findings in due time