Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Don't you have glass fiber in your area / WiFi in your home for high speed data transmission? With USB you can even add a network card to your smartphone.

Seems like you have the chance to be the first to try out and share your experience with others
Australia now ranked #55 in the... - Scorptec Computers | Facebook

heh.

At home I wouldn't even bother with any of this, this is purely thinking ahead for future trips away from home and in the field backing up.

01-12-2018, 09:40 PM   #47
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Australia now ranked #55 in the... - Scorptec Computers | Facebook

heh.

At home I wouldn't even bother with any of this, this is purely thinking ahead for future trips away from home and in the field backing up.
Holy Cow!
You barely beat a lot of very under developed countries Bruce.
I live in the sticks but I can at least get 50 Meg DSL. 1 Up though so very ADSL. Soon I will have wireless internet from the local cell towers available so maybe there will be price competition. The old luddites refused to allow cable in to town 12 years ago and now the phone company is our only choice.
I see why the cloud isn't an answer for your photo storage needs.
01-15-2018, 06:53 AM   #48
Pentaxian

I must admit, I have no clue how fast my Internet connection is... the *@#& provider keeps increasing the speed!
But it can't be faster than 1Gbps, I think...
01-18-2018, 07:37 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well... looks like I am going to be a guinea pig of sorts. I've just ordered (from B&H) some camera type accessories and whilst at it a $250 LG G5 phone and a small USB Type C 3.0 OTG cable ($5).

As I said earlier, I am currently looking for a replacement handset (currently putting up with an old Lumia 650 which is driving me nuts at times). I did a hunt/search on GSMArena for handsets that have USB Type C 3.0/3.1 as well as having the necessary 4G bands that I need for Australia, and the LG G5 seemed to be cheapest handset I could find that had these features. You have to be a little careful, lots of handsets use USB Type C but not all are 3.0.

The cable I found had one review on B&H that said it worked well with his LG G5, which gave me some added confidence.

Surprisingly there is not a lot of help or information out there for someone attempting to do what I was on about earlier (namely eject the SD card from their camera, put in a SD Card reader and connect to phone and transfer), I still have no idea what speeds to expect from doing this :S

But at the end of the day the LG G5 seemed like a decent handset, has been well received and I'm also intrigued over some of the 'addons' it can take.

Once I locate a suitably decent 128gb micro sd card I shall do some tests and report my findings back here.

01-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I found another option that looks pretty good.
https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Wireless-Portable-Companion-Streamer/dp/B016...ums-20&ie=UTF8

It does some things I don't care that much about but will connect your SD card to a USB storage device and let you backup your files without a PC (but you do need a phone or tablet).
It's cheap so I think I'll get one and be the guinea pig for that.
01-19-2018, 04:44 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I found another option that looks pretty good.
amazon.com: RAVPower FileHub Plus, Wireless Travel Router, SD Card Reader USB Portable Hard Drive Companion, DLNA NAS Sharing Media Streamer 6000mAh External Battery Pack: Computers & Accessories?tag=pentaxforums-20&

It does some things I don't care that much about but will connect your SD card to a USB storage device and let you backup your files without a PC (but you do need a phone or tablet).
It's cheap so I think I'll get one and be the guinea pig for that.
Excellent, looks good. Yeh lets report our findings in due time
01-21-2018, 10:41 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The regular USB3 tops out at 640MB/s. Significantly higher than the 95MB/s of the card you have. But it's still highly dependent on the speed of the device. Hopefully you would be able to get 95MB/s though, or what's the use of the USB3? On the other hand, a phone might not have super-fast performance in that situation as they might not consider it an important design feature?
01-21-2018, 11:05 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
The regular USB3 tops out at 640MB/s. Significantly higher than the 95MB/s of the card you have. But it's still highly dependent on the speed of the device. Hopefully you would be able to get 95MB/s though, or what's the use of the USB3? On the other hand, a phone might not have super-fast performance in that situation as they might not consider it an important design feature?
That's my concern. I mean I have the SD Card reader (official Sandisk) that supports the 95mb/s, I have the OTG cable that is also USB 3.0 each end, I do need to get a micro sd card, 128gb I think, not sure what to aim for with that just yet. Perhaps certain apps are better than others at getting content off the sd card quickly?

01-31-2018, 12:41 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update:

So my new handset arrived this week and I've had a chance to do some preliminary testing. A quick recap; I was in the market for a new phone, I decided I needed the following features;

1) Android (as Apple will be too expensive for me)
2) Expandable storage (therefore another reason it won't be Apple)
3) USB Type C (paying strict attention it is a USB Type C with 3.0 or 3.1 and not less)
4) Has the necessary LTE Frequency Bands for my area of Australia (and where I specifically live) as I may be purchasing abroad.

I ended up grabbing the LG G5 from B&H, it was $249 at the time I bought it a couple weeks ago, it is now $209, bargain if you ask me. (I was also grabbing some other smaller photography equipment supplies so this also motivated to buy from them).

In addition to the handset I bought a $5 USB Type C 3.0 OTG cable.

This morning I did a quick test. I ejected a 64gb card from my K-1, that had only 6.9gb worth of DNG files on it. The SD Card was a Sandisk Extreme Pro card, the 95mb/s ones you typically see.

Into the SD Card reader it went and I connected everything up and did a copy. The stock file transfer app did not give a speed indicatior, but the time it took was around 2mins 50secs, I calculated this to being around 45mb/sec dl speed. I'm really happy with that, sometimes that's about as good as my full on gaming rig desktop PC manages!

A nice surprise was that the stock Gallery app can see and render DNG files, so checking was easy.

Anyway, just thought I'd give the feedback. I have yet to test with a micro sd card inside the phone, this was a copy just straight onto the 15gb left remaining space on the actual handset. I can see things slowing down going to the micro sd card...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo