Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2017, 11:34 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mobile Card Copier

I just actually tried the card copier feature of the K-1, that is to copy contents from SD1 to SD2. I didn't realise it was only folder at a time and not entire SD, nor did I realise copying just one folder (about 76 pictures) would take so long (I didn't time it, but a good 2-3mins minimum), an entire 32gb card full I would say is about 10-15mins minimum.
It's now become apparent that using such a feature within the K-1 in the field is pretty much not gonna happen. I was wondering whether it made sense to buy extreme pro cards for example with their 95mb/sec and copy their content to lesser expensive cards (such as 45mb/s cards), even if the copy time is slower but thus allowing a reformat of the 95mb/s cards so you could keep shooting with them.
I did wonder however, if there exists an external mobile card copier device that does exactly this job, for extra 'on the field backup security' perspective as well as allowing the user to then reformat the card and continue shooting.

Is this a thing?

TIA,

Bruce

11-10-2017, 11:57 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I did wonder however, if there exists an external mobile card copier device that does exactly this job, for extra 'on the field backup security' perspective as well as allowing the user to then reformat the card and continue shooting.
I use a UDMA Hyperdrive from colorspace* equipped with a 512Gb SSD - with an SSD, transfer times are very fast. Think of it as a self powered backup hard drive and card reader. The Hyperdrive has also the capability to recover files from damaged cards - a utility I have had to use to help family members who fell into the trap of buying cheap-off brand cards.

*which appear to be sold out on the parent site - though B&H appear to have them in stock, I would inquire before placing an order first.
11-11-2017, 12:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I use a UDMA Hyperdrive from colorspace* equipped with a 512Gb SSD - with an SSD, transfer times are very fast. Think of it as a self powered backup hard drive and card reader. The Hyperdrive has also the capability to recover files from damaged cards - a utility I have had to use to help family members who fell into the trap of buying cheap-off brand cards.

*which appear to be sold out on the parent site - though B&H appear to have them in stock, I would inquire before placing an order first.
Excellent, so such devices do exist then, good to know.
11-11-2017, 01:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Excellent, so such devices do exist then, good to know.
There also is the Gnarbox. I don't own one but I've read some very positive reviews about it. Might be a bit overkill for your purpose but you should give it a look.

11-14-2017, 08:11 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a Western Digital My Passport 1 TB Wi-Fi Mobile Storage. Long lasting battery. SD card reader. Connects wirelessly to phone for viewing and managing photos.
11-14-2017, 12:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davidreilly3207 Quote
I use a Western Digital My Passport 1 TB Wi-Fi Mobile Storage. Long lasting battery. SD card reader. Connects wirelessly to phone for viewing and managing photos.
Thanks for that.

Just googled a little about this drive, it seems to fail (for me) in a few areas, the SD Card Reader takes way too long, whereas the USB 3.0 connection is significantly faster :/ Does that mean if you place the SD Card into a USB 3.0 Card Reader (and ignore the sd card slot on the device entirely) then the speed of the transfer is far superior?

Wifi is nice, but I shoot RAW, so I'm guessing pairing to my phone (iOS or Android) I'm still not really going to see any pictures, JPG only for that, right?

I'm basically looking for a no frills 'eject SD card out of the camera, place inside something, fastest copying speed possible, on the go/in the field (ie self powered)'. I'm sure I even have a 128gb SSD lying around not seeing much action, that could backup a fair bit to begin with...
11-14-2017, 08:08 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably cheaper to buy more sd cards.

11-14-2017, 10:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davidreilly3207 Quote
Probably cheaper to buy more sd cards.
Not a bad point. But this was more from a backup perspective than clearing a sd card so that it can be reused again.
11-14-2017, 10:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote

That looks like a really nice device.
11-15-2017, 05:59 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
That looks like a really nice device.
The interface is rather primitive. The Epson P2000 had a better interface, screen, and design but was released in 2004...and now I have made myself feel old. Also the Epson used proprietary batteries as I recall - the Hyperdrive allows the user to replace the battery if needed.
11-15-2017, 12:15 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've been having a small google around this topic, there do seem to be more devices these days that do this including a new WD Passport thing. My issue is trying to locate and find the actual review or evidence for a fast no frills sd card copy. It seems that some of these devices although they include the sd card slot its still a slowish transfer speed :S
And... then sometimes you need to tether your phone to the device to actually see the progress done, not even a led light or anything on the device to signal when the operation is complete. Urgh.
11-15-2017, 10:52 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
And... then sometimes you need to tether your phone to the device to actually see the progress done, not even a led light or anything on the device to signal when the operation is complete. Urgh.
Well, then that will make it easier to narrow down the viable candidates.
11-15-2017, 11:07 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Well, then that will make it easier to narrow down the viable candidates.
I hope so. Honestly I just want a portable self powered hdd (that could also take SSD), one that ideally is a clever casing to allow the user to change the hdd/ssd (and possible battery if after awhile isn't doing too well), that has a SD Card Slot that kicks ass and delivers the speeds that one would like in the field. I don't need a screen, just some flickering LED lights to tell me its doing its thing and a different LED light to tell me when its done...

Like always... Bruce asks too much.
11-16-2017, 12:17 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The only reason you might be "asking too much" is that there probably isn't a huge market for this device, so there might not be much evolution due to lack of market competition.
11-16-2017, 12:54 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
The only reason you might be "asking too much" is that there probably isn't a huge market for this device, so there might not be much evolution due to lack of market competition.
Maybe... I dunno, I woulda though in the field OTG quick back up solutions would be a strong and necessary market. Sure you can buy extra SD cards, sure you can copy contents to a laptop, but that's not always going to be the case/possible. There do seem to be devices intended for this purpose but they seem to either be poorly optimised (bad sd card copy times... i.e. actually failing in arguably thee most important aspect), or just overkill and too convoluted. I don't need Wifi, I don't need a screen, I don't have time or want to connect my phone to the HDD's wifi hotspot to look at RAW files which I can't even render anyway...

This all feels too familiar to me, my previous hobby (portable audiophile), in the decade or so of reviewing and trying dozens of players, only in 2015 did one company actually release a DAP (Digital Audio Player) that had what I felt was a crucial component, a dedicated EQ toggle button. I do seem to be a rarity in my needs and wants :'(

<sigh>.. I shall keep looking however...