Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
This all feels too familiar to me, my previous hobby (portable audiophile), in the decade or so of reviewing and trying dozens of players, only in 2015 did one company actually release a DAP (Digital Audio Player) that had what I felt was a crucial component, a dedicated EQ toggle button.
I'm still looking for a DAP that has native support for Replay gain and balanced outputs.

11-16-2017, 08:58 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I'm still looking for a DAP that has native support for Replay gain and balanced outputs.
Prolly looking at a DAP that can be Rockboxed then. I however typically MP3Gain my tunes. I don't care for FLAC or hi res, I have ABX tested enough to know anything past 320kbps I can't tell the difference
11-16-2017, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had an old iRiver I Rockboxed for the recording features that I recorded live shows with (and some nice mics, preamp+a/d converter). I sold that rig to buy camera gear.
11-16-2017, 11:54 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Prolly looking at a DAP that can be Rockboxed then.
I have been looking at a Fiio X7/X5 gen III - they have balanced outs. I never considered 3rd party FW though...looks interesting.

I have ABX tested enough to know anything past 320kbps I can't tell the difference
I'm a musician, under certain circumstances audio compression artifacts can be distinctly audible to me. I gave up on 320Kbps MP3 years ago, I use FLAC constantly these days.

11-17-2017, 12:23 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I have been looking at a Fiio X7/X5 gen III - they have balanced outs. I never considered 3rd party FW though...looks interesting.

I'm a musician, under certain circumstances audio compression artifacts can be distinctly audible to me. I gave up on 320Kbps MP3 years ago, I use FLAC constantly these days.
Yeh and out and about with traffic and life sounds all around me I tend not to get bogged down with all that hi res stuff, not for portable audio. It is annoying tho, having to convert FLACs to MP3's just so I can have my collection replaygained. But yeh a lot of DAPs suck imo because as straight up music playing devices they often lack features that exist in many phones software/apps... But anyway... hijacked thread is hijacked!
11-17-2017, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There do seem to be devices intended for this purpose but they seem to either be poorly optimised (bad sd card copy times... i.e. actually failing in arguably thee most important aspect), or just overkill and too convoluted.
I just picked a solution and lived with it, the Hyperdrive has done almighty work, even though the card transfers are 30mb/s - even with the 645Z, I can't fill a 32Gb card fast enough to ever find myself waiting for the hyperdrive to finish backing up a card.

out and about with traffic and life sounds all around me I tend not to get bogged down with all that hi res stuff, not for portable audio.
When i'm working on my own and out and about, you will often find me listening to music through a good pair of IEMs*. When i'm working in the studio I have a big Klipsch sound system with dual SVS subs**. Good Balanced armature IEMs typically are very resolving in the higher frequency 7~10khz and up range, and that is where encoding artifacts commonly show up with even high bitrate MP3 recordings. Distortion is also an issue in the bass range 50hz and below and it is common that most devices have woeful THD figures when you push those tiny class D amps - again Dual/Quad BA armature IEMs can reveal this unfortunate trait.

*currently doing a review of the recently released Campfire/ALO Polaris Hybird IEMS - sadly they don't Isolate as well as pure BA IEMs, but they have texture to their sound and more dynamics than pure BA IEMS.
**I'm a fun neighbor to have working in the next studio. If I'm working with models: I'll let them choose the music they listen to - it helps them feel more comfortable in the strange surroundings of a photographic studio.

Last edited by Digitalis; 11-17-2017 at 08:14 PM.
11-23-2017, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Checked out the page. Claims high speed transfers.
GNARBOX - Backup, edit and share HD footage, laptop free.

12-15-2017, 08:16 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Beside the Hyper and GNARE, there's the MPortable and NextoDi:
MPortable Startseite - MPortable
nextodi.com
Test: image tanks for photo backups on the go - Google Translate
12-16-2017, 03:54 PM   #24
Veteran Member

A way to perhaps expand your options may be to shoot with micro-SD cards in camera (via a micro-SD to SD card holder).

The range of devices that take micro-SD cards - mobiles & tablets in particular - may expand your hardware options for card backup and copying. I don't have any gear in mind, but just something extra to perhaps look into.
12-16-2017, 04:37 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I used Mobile copier during *istD days. I do not know about the current models.
Archos Jukebox series - Wikipedia
01-09-2018, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This was just announced, with a built-in SD card reader. It has USB 3 connectivity externally, but it looks like the SD reader is only USB 2 speeds.

My Passport Wireless SSD | Western Digital (WD)

---------- Post added 01-09-18 at 01:44 AM ----------

This Seagate one might be faster to read from the cards

Seagate Launches Portable Storage Solutions at CES 2018
01-09-2018, 09:34 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
This was just announced, with a built-in SD card reader. It has USB 3 connectivity externally, but it looks like the SD reader is only USB 2 speeds.

My Passport Wireless SSD | Western Digital (WD)

---------- Post added 01-09-18 at 01:44 AM ----------

This Seagate one might be faster to read from the cards

Seagate Launches Portable Storage Solutions at CES 2018
Those both look pretty cool. Promising developments in this market!
I'd love to see one for the DIY crowd that is just the enclosure and you can add your own storage.
01-09-2018, 10:59 AM   #28
Veteran Member

The Gnarbox is only 50 bucks more than the hyperdrive, but does not need you to buy a new SSD. But the Gnarbox is only 128GB. That should be enough for a days shooting for most folks.
At those prices, I would just look for a Used Microsoft Surface Pro 2 or newer and carry it. 1080p screen and enough power for quick edits on a screen you can see. Lenovo tabs running Windows 10 could also work.
01-09-2018, 11:33 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
The Gnarbox is only 50 bucks more than the hyperdrive, but does not need you to buy a new SSD. But the Gnarbox is only 128GB. That should be enough for a days shooting for most folks.
At those prices, I would just look for a Used Microsoft Surface Pro 2 or newer and carry it. 1080p screen and enough power for quick edits on a screen you can see. Lenovo tabs running Windows 10 could also work.
That is pretty much what I do now but if the trip were off the grid for longer and/or in a very harsh environment I could definitely see the value in something more like this.
01-10-2018, 04:55 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I'd love to see one for the DIY crowd that is just the enclosure and you can add your own storage.
NVS2801-Plus - Official Website
Nexto DI - Next Generation Storage with Digital Interface
hypershop.com/collections/storage/products/iusbport-hd
hypershop.com/collections/storage/products/hyperdrive-colorspace-udma3

Last edited by angerdan; 01-10-2018 at 05:02 AM.