Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ooh, nice collection there. Thanks!
Those Nextodi ones are a little much for my needs but that iUSBPort one looks great and is very affordable. I just might need to pick one of those up before my next big trip.

01-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Ooh, nice collection there. Thanks!
Those Nextodi ones are a little much for my needs but that iUSBPort one looks great and is very affordable. I just might need to pick one of those up before my next big trip.
I was looking at that one too, I have a few SSD/HDD floating around that I'm sure would fit. Issue for me tho is what kinda speeds are we really gonna get if we put in a full 64gb Sandisk Pro card in, what's the wait time gonna be...
01-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

that iUSBPort one looks great and is very affordable. I just might need to pick one of those up before my next big trip.
...would be interesting for you to do a in-the-field review of the device - there aren't many reviews of mobile card storage devices out there.

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Issue for me tho is what kinda speeds are we really gonna get if we put in a full 64gb Sandisk Pro card in, what's the wait time gonna be
If you're expecting full sata III 6.0Gb/s speed transfers, prepare to be disappointed. To be fair though, no card backup device has ever come close to taxing the full IO capabilities of the most basic hard drive - SSD'S are being used for their superior durability [ compared to platter based drives] and high power efficiency.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-10-2018 at 03:24 PM.
01-10-2018, 03:32 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
...would be interesting for you to do a in-the-field review of the device - there aren't many reviews of mobile card storage devices out there.
Yes.. you spend the money first please

If you're expecting full sata III 6.0Gb/s speed transfers, prepare to be disappointed.
Ha, yeh not quite those kinda speeds hehe.

The price of these things have made me wonder, and the fact someone above alluded to the idea of just buying a used Surface Pro 2 etc. I own a Samsung Tab S2, I bought it initially for photo viewing (as well as general tablet needs), it has a fairly nice high res screen can take a 256gb card but unfortunately I think the usb port is 2.0 so there goes the idea of fast sd card copy times. The prices of some of these 'in the field' devices are quite expensive, and tbh I don't know if i 'in the field' is that important to me, what is important is holidaying and travelling light and a way to get content off the sd card and onto something else from a backup perspective as well as clearing space off the card to reuse (if it comes to that). I think a lot of us holiday with smartphones/laptops and tablets so perhaps with the next tablet or phone purchase one should consider the port of the device, see if it is USB3.0 etc and get a good card reader and use that? Is my logic sound?

01-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think a lot of us holiday with smartphones/laptops and tablets so perhaps with the next tablet or phone purchase one should consider the port of the device, see if it is USB3.0 etc and get a good card reader and use that? Is my logic sound?
The problem with that is mobile phones and laptops are prime targets for theft. A discrete self powered hard drive doesn't attract the same attention.
01-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If i get one I will share my results.
01-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The price of these things have made me wonder, and the fact someone above alluded to the idea of just buying a used Surface Pro 2 etc. I own a Samsung Tab S2, I bought it initially for photo viewing (as well as general tablet needs), it has a fairly nice high res screen can take a 256gb card but unfortunately I think the usb port is 2.0 so there goes the idea of fast sd card copy times. The prices of some of these 'in the field' devices are quite expensive, and tbh I don't know if i 'in the field' is that important to me, what is important is holidaying and travelling light and a way to get content off the sd card and onto something else from a backup perspective as well as clearing space off the card to reuse (if it comes to that). I think a lot of us holiday with smartphones/laptops and tablets so perhaps with the next tablet or phone purchase one should consider the port of the device, see if it is USB3.0 etc and get a good card reader and use that? Is my logic sound?

I have a roughly 10 year old Acer netbook that is beyond its useful life for most functions. But, I put a lightweight Linux distro on it, paired it up with a ruggedized external hard drive, and use it to backup pictures when on travel. Also works to do a little light editing and posting to the web. It's not tremendously fast transferring files (assuming USB 2.0) but it is small, does the job and was free to me.

01-11-2018, 12:03 PM   #38
Veteran Member

If i get one I will share my results.
Currently out of stock at their web store. I didn't look at retail sites though. Pretty spiffy bit for the extra 50 I would go with the one Digitalis initially mentioned. Even though a 3.5 inch screen is not what I want when determining whether to delete an image or not. Still a nifty piece of gear and SSD prices are getting a lot cheaper. Just make sure to copy everything to a high quality Disc drive when you get home. SSDs fail also.
01-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The problem with that is mobile phones and laptops are prime targets for theft. A discrete self powered hard drive doesn't attract the same attention.
I dunno about that, thief is a thief, around here they'll nick anything. My gear is insured and tbh my phone will more than likely stay on my person than sit in an exposed bag. I worry more for my general camera equipment getting stolen than my phone.

I'm in the market for a new phone, I'm a little out of touch with this tech but if I understand correctly the Android market is moving to USB Type C connectors for phones (especially flagship) and this is a faster connection than usb 3.0, if a cable exists that can take a card reader then I see this being a viable option. Phone + 128 or 256gb microsd card inside, small cable and card reader and you have your fast file transfers (without ferrying around an additional backup device). The interface of Android and a screen should help also with viewing files and app choices in the market for editing and viewing RAW files (if need be).

Of course this doesn't help anyone who is currently satisfied with their handsets but for people like me with old dying phone tech that needs replaced I'm waiting to hear why this wouldn't work or be a viable option.
01-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the Android market is moving to USB Type C connectors for phones (especially flagship) and this is a faster connection than usb 3.0
The memory card/device memory controller Bus is still going to be a bandwidth bottleneck.
01-11-2018, 06:21 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Currently out of stock at their web store.
Currently it seems available.
HyperDrive iUSBport HD - Wireless Hard Drive & USB port for iPhone, iP - HyperShop.com

The memory card/device memory controller Bus is still going to be a bandwidth bottleneck.
With USB Type C current smartphones will use USB 3.x. So the Controller bus is only shared for memory card/internal memory/external USB. So still >1/3 of 625-2500Mbyte/s.
More than most current high speed memory cards.
01-11-2018, 06:42 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Currently it seems available.
HyperDrive iUSBport HD - Wireless Hard Drive & USB port for iPhone, iP - HyperShop.com

With USB Type C current smartphones will use USB 3.x. So the Controller bus is only shared for memory card/internal memory/external USB. So still >1/3 of 625-2500Mbyte/s.
More than most current high speed memory cards.
I've also read that some USB Type C connections are USB 2.0, only fairly recently are some Type C 3.1, and to take advantage of that speed you also want Android 7.0 or higher running (I think).

My initial thinking was if I had these cards;

Ejected from camera and placed in one of these readers;

(I have these cards and reader, the back of the reader mumbles about UHS-II SD Reader/Writer and the Extreme PRO is also inscribed, it's definitely faster than some other card readers I have lying around).

And then get a cable like this to go between the two;

Curious to know how the file copy/transfer speeds will be to the 256gb sd card housed inside the phone compared to the speeds I get doing this at home on PC.
01-12-2018, 03:57 AM   #43
Pentaxian

I've also read that some USB Type C connections are USB 2.0, only fairly recently are some Type C 3.1, and to take advantage of that speed you also want Android 7.0 or higher running (I think).

My initial thinking was if I had these cards;
Ejected from camera and placed in one of these readers;
And then get a cable like this to go between the two;
Curious to know how the file copy/transfer speeds will be to the 256gb sd card housed inside the phone compared to the speeds I get doing this at home on PC.
It is possible to use a Tpye C port with 2.0 protocol. But thats not common with smartphones.
In the $300 range USB 3.0 Type C was already available in 2015 (using Android 5.1.1).
ZUK Z1 - Wikipedia

And USB 3.0 Smartphones was already on the market in 2014.
Samsung Galaxy S5 - Wikipedia

USB-C 3.0 already runs on Android 6.0.
Android version history - Wikipedia)

The speed difference between USB 3.0 and 3.1 currently isn't a game changer since most memory cards only deliver 95Mbyte/s as maximum read speed.

SInce new cardreaders already offer USB-C plugs, additional cables aren't neccesary anymore.
Delock Products 91740 Delock USB 3.1 Gen 1 Card Reader USB Type-C? male 4 Slots

01-12-2018, 12:51 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
It is possible to use a Tpye C port with 2.0 protocol. But thats not common with smartphones.
In the $300 range USB 3.0 Type C was already available in 2015 (using Android 5.1.1).
ZUK Z1 - Wikipedia

And USB 3.0 Smartphones was already on the market in 2014.
Samsung Galaxy S5 - Wikipedia

USB-C 3.0 already runs on Android 6.0.
Android version history - Wikipedia)

The speed difference between USB 3.0 and 3.1 currently isn't a game changer since most memory cards only deliver 95Mbyte/s as maximum read speed.

SInce new cardreaders already offer USB-C plugs, additional cables aren't neccesary anymore.
Delock Products 91740 Delock USB 3.1 Gen 1 Card Reader USB Type-C? male 4 Slots
I did a quick search on B&H's website last night to try and filter some smartphones that work on the 4G network over here in Australia (particularly the 4GX/4G+ bands out here that differ from the standard 4G network as they provide different coverage and are far faster. For example, where I live I get zero 4G reception, only 3G, but my area is swamped in 4GX/+ and so long as the phone has those bands it's not problem getting a good signal and speed). So I filtered for that and USB Type C and compared a few. It's interesting to note that B&H provide the specific nature of the USB Type C i.e. whether it is 2.0, 3.0 or 3.1 etc. You can go to manufacturers pages and not get this info, simply saying 'USB Type C' only...

If I am to gather correctly it's quite important to make sure that it is USB Type C with it being either 3.0 or 3.1 (if the phone is indeed being purchased around the ideas discussed above). I read this article quickly here.

Here's a quick 4 compared on B&H;

The LG G5 is looking compatible on many fronts and at a great price of $229. You still have to buy either a cable or a card reader as you suggested and of course the microsd card, but then you're getting quite a bit more than a 'backup' solution.
Honestly right now I'd be jumping on this, but I'd actually like to see a real world test of this kinda copy/transfer speeds.
01-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #45
Pentaxian

I did a quick search on B&H's website last night to try and filter some smartphones that work on the 4G network over here in Australia
(particularly the 4GX/4G+ bands out here that differ from the standard 4G network as they provide different coverage and are far faster.
For example, where I live I get zero 4G reception, only 3G, but my area is swamped in 4GX/+ and so long as the phone has those bands it's not problem getting a good signal and speed).

The LG G5 is looking compatible on many fronts and at a great price of $229. Honestly right now I'd be jumping on this, but I'd actually like to see a real world test of this kinda copy/transfer speeds.
Don't you have glass fiber in your area / WiFi in your home for high speed data transmission? With USB you can even add a network card to your smartphone.

Seems like you have the chance to be the first to try out and share your experience with others