Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2017, 03:08 PM   #1
Pentaxian

accessory 'Mike' for K-1, or some other issue.. to get sound

I've got a K-1 and I'm happy with it. I tried the video feature and it (filming) works fine...however the sound from the video was not very loud. Had to strain to hear it....both on camera playback and computer playback. I could be doing something wrong I suppose, I don't know when it comes to setting up and operating the level of sound on the camera. When I listen to youtube shows on my computer the sound quality is quite good, but not in my transfers to the computer from the K-1 or from the K-1 itself.

It has been suggested that the speaker on the K-1 is quite small and perhaps that's the issue. I don't know.

It also has been suggested that I get an accessory microphone which should take care of the issue. Any suggestions about make/model and if having a plug in accessory mike would make a difference ?

11-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
It also has been suggested that I get an accessory microphone which should take care of the issue. Any suggestions about make/model and if having a plug in accessory mike would make a difference ?
A huge difference. On-board audio will always be terrible because the mic is inside the camera, and thus picks up internal noises while missing out on a lot of what's going on outside.

Here's what I'd recommend to start out with:
Senal CS-88 DSLR-Video Shotgun Microphone CS-88 B&H Photo Video

The Rode VideoMic is better, and that's what I use, but it's also more expensive.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-13-2017, 07:44 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Also, use headphones or buds for monitoring the audio. The built-in speaker in not only inadequate for assuring good audio, but it is also limited in its frequency range. Good audio, particularly music, will include a fair amount of lower frequencies which that speaker is unable to reproduce altogether. It's also important for high quality audio to get the level right. Just plugging in a microphone doesn't guarantee that. Some microphones may be too hot (to high in output), and others too low. Using an audio level meter is important to set the top level below the overload value of the recording device (the camera in this case).

Oh, and only some YouTube audio is really good.
11-13-2017, 10:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The Rode VideoMic is better, and that's what I use, but it's also more expensive.
Which model do you use?

11-13-2017, 11:04 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Which model do you use?
This one:

Rode VideoMic Pro with Rycote Lyre Shockmount VIDEOMIC PRO-R B&H

For the size, it works wonders in noisy environments.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: