Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2017, 09:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How Many Spare Batteries Do You Have?

So I need to put in an order for more batteries for my camera bodies, K-1 and KP. I only have the one for KP but currently have two for the K-1.

I have my first 'long day' shooting job coming up, a good 8hrs of shooting possibly and some of my recent camera techniques are actually reliant on using Live View. At this point in time I am really not sure how many more spare batteries to buy! Another two for the K-1 and two for the KP??

I just thought I'd ask you fellow shooters how many batteries you can actually chew through in a days job!

Cheers!

Bruce

11-16-2017, 09:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If my camera takes one battery, I'll have one spare. If I have two cameras I'll have two spares.

If you are intending to do A LOT of shooting between recharges, I'd double the number of batteries.

Regards

Chris
11-16-2017, 11:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
If my camera takes one battery, I'll have one spare. If I have two cameras I'll have two spares.

If you are intending to do A LOT of shooting between recharges, I'd double the number of batteries.
Chris
I do the same as Chris. The only reason I'd have more than one spare is if I were using cheaper, lower mAh rated third party batteries. With OEM or third battery brands like Wasabi that has higher than OEM mAh, just one spare for the day between charges.
11-16-2017, 11:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have an K5, K3, K1 with the same Accu, and there are in total 4 Accu-Set's. With the K1 one Accu is enough for one day.

Last holiday 1 Day in Venice roundabout 900 shoots 1 Accu - not empty
1 Evening Music Festival ca 700 pictures 1 Accu - not empty
both mainly without live view

Architectural photos in an old church - mainly tripod and Liveview - ca 400 photos with 2 shoots each (EV-braketing normal and -1EV) 1 Accu not empty

But there are allways two spare accus with me.

11-16-2017, 11:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote

Regards

Chris
I also do this. I've never really come close to running out of all batteries during a shoot. I don't do any video or use live view much though.

If your shoot is a highly critical career make-or-break type of job, get as many spare batteries as you can fit into your pockets.
11-16-2017, 11:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If it is indoor shooting session you can carry charger also.
I have two batteries.
11-17-2017, 12:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

One alternate spare battery so that a battery charge can be fully used before the next battery is inserted. That approach would tend to max out the durability of batteries, although not proven with Li-Ion.

11-17-2017, 03:02 AM   #8

Probably toooo many, I shoot a lot and use live view and the playback screen a fair bit.

I have a K1 plus a K5iis and a 645z which all take the same battery so have 8 spares in total plus the 2 each in the K1 / K5iis ( cam and grip ) and 1 for the 645z

Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co,uk
11-17-2017, 04:08 AM   #9

1 in the body, 1 in the grip and 1 ready to go. When the grip battery dies, the camera switches to the body and I change the grip battery at my first convenience.

The only time I have ever fully used 2 or more batteries in a single day was when I was doing a lot of shooting with a 300 mm 2.8 manual focus. I used live view to with focus peaking to focus and chewed through a lot of battery on those days.
11-17-2017, 04:27 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have two K-1's with battery grips, and a 645Z. I have quite a few DLi-90's....
11-17-2017, 05:58 AM   #11

I have K5 + K5iis, and for a single day airshow shooting I take 3 batteries. Never used them all fully (came close on occasion).
After about 6/7 hours airshow and a fair amount of static pics, I'll have 1 down, maybe 2 if I take LOADS (4000+) of flying pics. It's so that at the end of the day I usually just need 1 full charge + 1 to 2 hours in the other battery, and the 3rd doesn't leave the backup camera until the next day (when it loses 1 bar).
I use 1 sec preview and a fair amount of play action.
ISO won't be base because I keep the shutter speed up (and England isn't known for the sunshine), plus the battery will be pulling a 150-450 motor, so not light loading.
Live view does take a BIG toll on the battery, so beware if you intend to use it often (obviously this is only for static pics).
Don't do video.

I notice a drop in camera performance around the time the battery loses 1 bar, so I try to swap it then. That (partial discharges) will also help the batteries last longer.
Also, in the K5 at least, you'll get more pics from first battery bar than from the other 2.
11-17-2017, 06:36 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have quite a few now. I figured the cost of AA batteries which I kept as back up since I have battery grips for my K 3 and K 5 II vs cost of back up " regular " batteries and how quickly I ran through the AAs when I use them. I then decided to get more " regular " batteries

I normally don't have to worry but on our trips to ball games or on our extended vacations, I want plenty of memory cards AND power

I set my control to auto and the camera uses the grip battery first, when I get back, I recharge or replace that one and only replace the one in the body if needed

I found some zip lock brand small containers with lids that I store each battery in. It is just large enough to hold the battery and it is also big enough to hold my accessory pentax gps unit

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-17-2017 at 07:11 AM.
11-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #13
Unregistered User

I've got four back up batteries for my various Q's, but then again, they are much smaller than a DSLR's. I wrap a pair of them, label side up, in a microfiber cloth, they fit snugly in a small mint tin (smaller and thinner than an Altoids tin). Two pair is usually good enough for a week-end trip, so I don't have to bring a charger. I always put the spent batteries in label side down, so I know which is fully charged. They have some physical protection and the contacts are covered.
11-17-2017, 02:34 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For my K-3 I have one D-LI 90 spare battery, which lives charged-and-ready-to-use in a wing pocket of my Tamrac Expedition 7x backpack. As soon as the battery in the camera goes flat, it will be recharged first thing after returning from the photo shoot and returned to the said wing pocket, while the former occupant serves in the camera. Remarkably, one of the two D-LI 90's I'm using is still the one that came with my K-7 (long sold), which I got new in 2009.

If I owned a D-BG5 battery grip (which I don't at this time), I would go with a minimum of three D-LI 90's in total, or preferably four of them, I guess.

As a rule, I refrain from potentially risky experiments with third-party batteries.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 11-17-2017 at 02:48 PM.
11-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I have 8 but I just culled out a couple that weren't holding a charge like they used to.
I got extra extras for climbing Kilimanjaro last summer where I wanted to shoot lots but there is nowhere to charge for a week. I think I used 4 in 7 days.