Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #16

I have 4 total batteriies for my K3. I bought the K3 used and I didn't realize it came with an additional battery so I bought a 2 pack online. If I knew it came with 2 batteries I probably woudln't have bought the 2 extra.

11-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have two spare batteries for my KP. I had two batteries for my K-S2 which is the same battery used by the KP. If I ever decide to sell the K-S2 then one of the batteries will go with it.
11-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I have two batteries each , for my K10D, K5 and K-1. One in each body, one in each grip...to have ready to go, when the body batt dies. Never leave home without one...a spare that it...
11-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
If it is indoor shooting session you can carry charger also.
I have two batteries.
It's not, but it brings up an interesting point, how quick can we recharge these batteries? I mean... mine seem to take hours, is there no fast boosting type charger one can purchase, something like 50% power back in 30mins (and then a longer slower charge to max)?

QuoteOriginally posted by kthornsberry Quote
1 in the body, 1 in the grip and 1 ready to go. When the grip battery dies, the camera switches to the body and I change the grip battery at my first convenience.

The only time I have ever fully used 2 or more batteries in a single day was when I was doing a lot of shooting with a 300 mm 2.8 manual focus. I used live view to with focus peaking to focus and chewed through a lot of battery on those days.
Yeh and I think some of the day I will be shooting like that. I think 5 KP batteries and 4 K-1 should be enough

11-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I have two extra batteries for the K-1 and K-3. And Tess has an extra I can borrow if I need it. And I have one not performing well that I haven't thrown out. It will still give me a couple of hundred images if needed. I just marked it with a silver question mark so I know which one it is.

Altogether with one in the K-1, K-3 and K-5 3 excellent extras and one with a question mark, 7 batteries for 3 cameras.

Last edited by normhead; 11-17-2017 at 07:31 PM.
11-17-2017, 08:35 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I have three batteries for my K-3 and I don't carry my charger with me. I only charge a battery when it gets low, so the one in the camera may not be 100% when I start the day. If I have to change batteries early in the day, I have one more full battery waiting if I need it. These are all genuine Pentax batteries I purchased when I bought my K-3 new in December of 2013. I use my K-3 every day for work and these batteries have held up like champs.
11-17-2017, 09:07 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I just ordered another 3 for the K-1 (that makes 5 in total I will have) and 4 for the KP (which will also make 5 in total).

Is there anything one should do when receiving the batteries first, just charge up immediately to full before first time use? I read somewhere months ago about batteries and their lifespan better if left around 50% charge if not using often (which might be my case, I just might blast through 3-4/camera in a session once in a full moon, most of the time I will go between 2). I'm just wanting to ensure the batteries last a few years with in reality typical low usage and would like to know if there's a good method for storing and what state of charge they should have for longish term storage).

Ta!

11-17-2017, 10:10 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

all spare batteries / charges I get from:
Pentax Camera Battery
The Q and Q-s1 I have 4 batteries in total, take 2 spares with any of them.
The MX-1 I have 1 spare,
The K10 I have one spare.
K-30 , K-s1 and KP I have 4 in total, K-30 goes out always with 4xAA ( lithium titanium energizer AA) they last forever, with the other two I usually take one spare.
K-01 , K-5ii , K-3 , K-3ii and K-1 I have 6 in total, usually take 1 spare.
I usually store batteries fully charged in room temperature ( 18-25 deg), some are years old and still all good.
11-17-2017, 11:43 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
would like to know if there's a good method for storing and what state of charge they should have for longish term storage).
The key is moderation. Avoid storage in extreme cold or heat (like a hot car). Avoid allowing the battery to overcharge too long or to get to 0% charge. Never store them with a low charge.....30-80% is the best for storage. Also avoid storage near strong electro magnetic fields or on the floor in a ground level or basement.
11-21-2017, 01:47 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have one spare for each camera, If I was doing all day jobs I woud have two spare for each camera. Looks like an old non Pentax I have is not holding charge, the last BetterBatt battery purchades seems ok, probably get one of them, as it is about $100 for a pentax, which I'd prefer, but for now one at $25 from BetterBatt will do.
11-24-2017, 07:22 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

So I need to put in an order for more batteries for my camera bodies, K-1 and KP. I only have the one for KP but currently have two for the K-1.

I have my first 'long day' shooting job coming up, a good 8hrs of shooting possibly and some of my recent camera techniques are actually reliant on using Live View. At this point in time I am really not sure how many more spare batteries to buy! Another two for the K-1 and two for the KP??

I just thought I'd ask you fellow shooters how many batteries you can actually chew through in a days job!

Cheers!

Bruce
I have 8 batteries now. I would never, ever use that many in a day, but I do, from time to time, spend a week or more at a time away from a reliable power source, so I have enough batteries that I can go into the backcountry for a couple of weeks at a time. Third party batteries are cheap enough and good enough that it's not much of a hardship to have several.
Pentax has been on the same battery for several generations of camera, I believe the present battery was first used in the K7, which has been nice, since I have been able to use the same battery set for years, just adding a new battery when a new camera arrives.
11-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Picked up one of the el cheapo 12 volt car lighter/110 combo chargers as an insurance policy primarily for auto touring shoots. Only used it once and didn't time it, but it claimed a fast "quick charge."

At -20 f, even the warm front pocket method isn't perfect and power can be an issue even with a bunch of fully charged but frozen batteries. Winter is a different game if you are in the North.
11-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K-3 has a battery, My D-BG5 has a battery and I have the grip AA*6 with new unused top quality batteries in it. I once left home for a two week trip without a charger on my K-10 with grip, and ran out 4 hours before the end of the trip on the two batteries. Didn't chimp much when I opened the bag and found the charger not there. For a birding trip, I make sure the batteries are topped up.
11-27-2017, 09:47 PM   #29
Pentaxian

4 for the KP (which will also make 5 in total).
If you still have the K50?Then you will have 6.
11-27-2017, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
If you still have the K50?Then you will have 6.
nah sold the K-50. I should update my signature. The 3 K-1 batteries arrived today, hooray!