Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2017, 07:50 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Ok ok... after messing around with my old and newly arrived tripods I have managed to get this kinda combo going by borrowing from one thing and using on another.

The pic below looks confusing but it's not as bad as it looks, please let me explain;

Lets start off on the far right, this tripod is my promaster and my oldest (yet sturdiest/most expensive) tripod. It has the newly aquired velbon video panning head thingy on it. Cool.

To the left of this tripod is my newly aquired SLIK one, it's very lightweight but is featured here with the Promaster head (circled red) that belongs originally to the tripod on the right. So now both tripods are arcaswiss compatible.

You will noticed that the promaster head is also pointing (with a grey line) to the promaster leg which can come away and act as a monopod. Cool.

To the left of the newly aquired SLIK tripod is my old Joby tripod, but this time it has the SLIK head attached (circled blue). Why? Because the screw/thread thing fits the SLIK now (but not the original Joby head on the floor to the left of it) because I borrowed a part from that and stuck it on the new SLIK thread (to make it 1/4>3/8 I think, ie small to larger thread).

You can see the Joby head circled black on the floor, it no longer fits on the Joby because it's hole is 3/8 (large?) and the Joby is now a 1/4, but that's ok the SLIK sits on top.

You'll notice that both the green circles indicate that they are teh same size thread, 1/4 I think (smallest), so I think I need one or two of these to go ontop of them, thus allowing the flash pictured to be used on the Joby head (circled black) or SLIK head on the Joby legs (blue).

The cool thing is the rear of the Joby head far left circled black has that large hole (3/8th?) and therefore can easily be swapped with one of the heads on the two tripods far right (SLIK legs or Promaster legs).

Thus without much hassle I think I can mount a flashgun into a Joby (trees, railings outside etc) or a real tripod should I need height (studio etc).

Does this make sense?

Is that the thing I need to complete the mission that I hyperlinked above? lol

My flashes are the Metz 44 AF-2 and Pentax 540IIFGZ or whatever it is, I take it because both of these are fairly modern flashes its ok to mount them into that hotshoe and use without damaging them? I'm firing optically fwiw with a master>slave thing where a flash fires the other flash. No wires or triggers yet.

Cheers!

Attached Images

11-21-2017, 08:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

That will work yes.

If you want to put a tripod head which has a 3/8th socket onto tripod legs with a 1/4 20 thread you can buy a wee tubelike screw adapter which has a female 1/4 20 thread inside and a 3/8th male thread on the outside.

I also get some mileage from hardware store 1/4 20 bolts and steel builders brackets which can be bent to shape and/or clamped in place. They're cheap and come in 10 packs
11-21-2017, 09:39 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
That will work yes.

If you want to put a tripod head which has a 3/8th socket onto tripod legs with a 1/4 20 thread you can buy a wee tubelike screw adapter which has a female 1/4 20 thread inside and a 3/8th male thread on the outside.

I also get some mileage from hardware store 1/4 20 bolts and steel builders brackets which can be bent to shape and/or clamped in place. They're cheap and come in 10 packs
Excellent

I believe this is the part I stole and used with another product to make that layout all work. Does this part have a specific name I can google/eBay for?

And good advice about hardware stores, they do indeed have stuff that can often be used successfully for unintended purposes

EDIT: I think this is one? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2pc-1-4-to-3-8-Thread-Convert-Screw-Adapter-Redu...QAAOSw8oFX0net
11-21-2017, 10:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Yep, same thing

If you are willing to wait three weeks for post then this one is like 5% of the cost, and comes in a pack of ten.

10 pcs/lot 1/4 to 3/8 Metal Camera Converter Adapter Screw F Flash Stand Bracket Tripod Monopod Ball Head-in Photo Studio Accessories from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group